Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 19th, 2018, 16:03   #16
Veteran Member
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

next time, when it happens, turn it off and back on again as your driving, if it goes good for a few minutes, Limp mode 100%
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 12:02   #17
Fuel Economy: 33 mpg on the interstate at 65mph with windows up and no a/c going

Good idea Mongler.

But before I try that, I had another thought. Before I changed the timing belt, the motor was running smoothly. Then when I was about to change the timing belt, I noticed that the camshaft was cock-eyed enough that the camshaft locking tool wouldn’t even come close to fitting into the camshaft slot while the crankshaft was dead nuts on TDC and the locking pin was in the injection pump pulley. This is before I removed the old timing belt.

Next I removed the timing belt and cracked loose the cam sprocket to put the camshaft back into the correct TDC position with the cylinder 1 camshaft lobes at 10:00 and 2:00 pointing up and the camshaft locking tool in place and tightened the cam sprocket back down. Now I have true TDC at all three points. Cam, Crank, and IP.

However, I have not moved the IP whatsoever. Am I correct in thinking that since I moved the camshaft without adjusting the IP to match, that my IP is now putting fuel into the cylinders at the incorrect time in relation to the cam timing? And will this cause it to feel like it’s running on three cylinders and is very low on power?

Next question... If this is the case, could I loosen the IP and adjust it by ear just to see if it helps smooth out the idle? And then whenever I get a VCDS cable, I could fine tune it more at that time?

Last edited by mustangmarty; February 24th, 2018 at 12:16.
mustangmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 20:22   #18
Veteran Member
TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

I don't know how much you can ear-tune it. The only time(s) I did that, was after a TB change and the IP was too far off to start the car. I would "ear" it til it started and ran, then immediately Vagcommed it to get it right.

Good luck though.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote