Omaha, NE chat thread

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Thanks Julio!

Side note for everyone. Performance VW just got in 5 TDIs this morning for the 2011 crop. Our sales rep just called to let me know because he thought it was ironic that we were talking about them yesterday and here they are. Especially when April was the projected arrival date.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Hey guys! Had ****ty drive to Madison Wi. this weekend. Torque convrter quit locking up most of the time and having real hard shifts into Reverse... and well long story short my wife's wagon is getting a 5spd swap from JasonTDI in Madison... merry christmas to me and bye bye $2800+ (having timing belt, oil change and intake cleaning done too just cuz it's there and *** why not) ahhh hell... wife is pissed cuz she doesn't really like the 5spd... but cant stomach putting another auto in it... wish me luck!

Dan

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Good luck Dan. Sorry to hear that.

Cant do 5pd, I hope my DSG last forever.

Happy Holidas for all. ( Sorry Dan not a good time to spend money in a new tranny).

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Thanks Juilo! I have mixed emotions about it... I'm excited to get the 5spd but hating having to buy it just now... It works out.

Hoping Jason TDI give me a call today to say it is done.

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
He picked it up tonight.

Lets say the car was a BIT faster. 0-60 was almost halved.....

Daniel-O

TDI
I am stunned at how quiet the cars is now... seems a new motor mount and tightening the shock mount does a lot! Oh i suppose dropping highway rpms by 400 helps some too. All the good things that come with a new 5spd.

Thank you Jason!

road trip back to Omaha in the AM.

Dan

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Dan,
It's amazing what a little maintenance does for them. Engine light came on in the 04 right before we left for the weekend. Today's goal is swapping for new glow plugs to cut the code. I'm looking forward to this weekend's trip with both out to my mom's house in Ohio. The 04 gets to stay there so we will see how it does on the open road.

Julio, did you get to see the 11s?

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Dan - How's the trip back, I hope the weather wasn't really bad.

I saw the 2011. Even my wife said Wow, I want a JSW.
My biggest issues is the MFD, you can't buy a car with that MFD. It's a Joke.
My 02 had a better MFD and better interior.
The car is great if you dont care about the interior, the trunk and the MFD.
I'm looking forward to get a JSW soon.

Daniel-O

TDI
Julio,

The trip back was good, a little tricky the automatic brake pedal is huge next to the clutch pedal which led to some funny looks from my wife... (that break pedal is getting trimmed this weekend) what is funny at first could be tragic in a panic situation. Car drive great now and the VR6 clutch is amazing! My wife actually likes the clutch enough to comment on how nice it is. All in all if you can stomach the drive to Madison Wi. JasonTDi does great work at a very reasonable price!

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep, warned you about the big pedal with big feet!

If you're doing a 5 spd swap try and get a brake pedal or trim it and install an overlay metal/rubber pedal.

Let me know how much your mileage goes up. I already know its way faster!

Daniel-O

TDI
Jason,

We were typically filling her wagon up at 410~425 miles 30~32 mpg... trip back to Omaha doing 75+ most of the way with the rocket box on top ... got home @ 425 miles and just started to touch the 1/4 tank line... that would be a marked improvement, but no solid #'s yet.

Dan

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
You guys are so not going to believe what the freaking 04 did tonight. I went to change the glow plugs which should be easy. Should is definitely the operative word on this one. I got 2-4 out just fine but #1 is stuck half way with no hope of coming out. It was bent when I took the wiring harness off and it free turns but doesn't move out of the head. It's so making me want to bang my head on the wall. I guess if I can't figure something out tomorrow then I'm driving it to Ohio on 3 which will not help my fuel economy. Good thing is I have contingency plan in place once I get the car there. I'm just afraid I am going to hurt it in the 750 miles between.

Cheryl

jasonTDI

TDI
Why would it effect your fuel economy? It only for cold starts.

Look up Glen, MoGolf here in Ohio and have him get it out.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Good advice !!

This morning on I80 East, Brand New MKVI Jetta TDI BLACK no plates yet. Looks nice ;)

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Thinking fuel economy since it is half in and potentially not going to hold compression fully. Performane told me to be nice to it and once we get to Ohio to pull the head if I don't work it loose by heating it up on the drive.

jasonTDI

TDI
You don't have to pull the head.....Nice or not the cyl pressures can blow it out at idle if it was backed out enough threads.

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Jason, my brother in law got a good yank on the plug. Well it didnt come out. It is now missing the top nut so there is officially a compression issue at idle. I'll get a picture of it once we get some light. We'll need definite ideas on what to do now.

jasonTDI

TDI
Get ahold of glen. He wrote the how to on the removal. Youcan get them drilled out without removing the head. but not the injector needs to come out to blow out the debris.

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Jerel, our mechanic, got it out piece by piece by welding bolts to it and slowly working it out. Took about 40 minutes and the wire welder but it is fully fixed. Still got 43.2 mpg even with a slight compression leak from the bad plug on the way out. We printed Glen's removal ideas and tried them all. It just looked like the plug seized because it didn't have the anti seize on it and a Bosch plug to boot so separation seems common for the brand.

Now I get to collect the parts for wheel bearing replacement because the front ones are just starting to make some noise.

jasonTDI

TDI
Glad they got it out....the alternative is quite spendy.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
New Year, ne TDI's on the road.

Yesterday MKVI JETTA WHITE TDI No plates yet, I-80 going west after 84 st. A girl was driving it, drove in front of her to show her the tdi plates hehehe.

jasonTDI

TDI
This is a sighting but nobody reads those.

7:30 pm Thur (last night) You left Walmart in Monona, WI went west on the beltline (12/18/14/151) JSW beige, MN tags.

YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS ARE OUT.....I tried to get your attention but you were oblivious to the attempt.....

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
It's like you are trying to sell something to some people.
I tried to warning a guy last week driving a JSW because a blanket was hanging from the right back door, the guy give me the finger then I took the next exit.

jasonTDI

TDI
I'd love to be there for the o-sheite moment when they realize what you were trying to do.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
me too hehehe.

Several MKVI JSW on the road this morning on West Dodge going East.
I hope some of them looked at my plate.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Jerel, our mechanic, got it out piece by piece by welding bolts to it and slowly working it out. Took about 40 minutes and the wire welder but it is fully fixed. Still got 43.2 mpg even with a slight compression leak from the bad plug on the way out. We printed Glen's removal ideas and tried them all. It just looked like the plug seized because it didn't have the anti seize on it and a Bosch plug to boot so separation seems common for the brand.

Now I get to collect the parts for wheel bearing replacement because the front ones are just starting to make some noise.
I might have a brand new set of replacements for you. Hit me on IM with your number and I'll give you a call.

Hope everyone is well!

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Mrrogers1, that but has already been replaced. Jerel is very efficient and has decided he doesn't hate all diesels. He now likes the VWs but still loathe power strokes.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
We may see a new member, guy at target on 168 & Maple asked me about the tdiclub. he was driving behind me and he just bought a 2011 jetta tdi.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
We may see a new member, guy at target on 168 & Maple asked me about the tdiclub. he was driving behind me and he just bought a 2011 jetta tdi.
Man, we need some cheapo business cards or something to get people to our little happy Omaha/NE TDI Home. :D