Castrol Synthetic

TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Forest Green
Today I went to the dealer and had tehm change my oil while some other maintenance is being done. They seemed knowledgable...I would hope so since it's their car...

They put a fully synthetic Castrol oil into my car... does this stuff meet all the requirements? CH or I-4, the VW 505, etc etc...? I understand it might not be everyone's favorite oil, but it meets the factories requirements... correct? Thanks for the help and have a happy holidays!

for the record...I have a 99.5 A4 TDI

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Depends, if it is pre-2004 and it was Syntec 5w40, then yes, you're set.

If it is a 2004, then it needs to be the newer spec Syntec 5w40. They should know what the correct stuff is, so you should be alright.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
[ QUOTE ]

They put a fully synthetic Castrol oil into my car... does this stuff meet all the requirements? CH or I-4, the VW 505, etc etc...?

for the record...I have a 99.5 A4 TDI

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and Castrol 505.01 5W-40 meet the VW 505.00 rating that is acceptable for your 1999 US a4 TDI engine.

But Castrol Syntec 5W-30 does not meet any of the ratings for recent VW TDI engines in the US.

TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Forest Green
i called the parts department and gave them the parts number on teh reciept... not telling him what the part was. The parts guy verified it was 5W-40 synthetic oil. I called the service manager and spoke with him and the mechanic who serviced my car and they both assured me it was the correct oil... next time I'll have access to a lift and plan on doing it myself...

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
greenmarinepsu,if I understand you correctly,the dealer put the correct oil in your car,so why the rush to do it yourself.By the time you buy the oil,and go through the excercise of changing it..???

Just a thought.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
greenmarine, if the oil used was Castrol Syntec 5W40 then yes, the oil is correct.

Good luck and <font color="green"> GO MARINES !! </font> /images/graemlins/grin.gif