skiman28

TDI
2005 Passat GLS
My engine light has been on for a couple hundred miles. Went to Autozone
and got the codes:

P0741 Torque Converter
&
P2100 Throttle Body

I've owned the car for over a year now. I bought the car from my Dad who replaced the transmission at 131,000 miles.

The car now has 202,000. I can think of a couple of times where the car kind of 'bucked' like it was searching for a gear at low speed. But right now the car is driving normal and shifting normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

I was going to do a fluid change on the tranny in the spring but was hit with a bad tandem pump, so that is where my money went.

Not sure what to do after reading all of the P0741 code stories, but with a baby on the way and a Yukon XL in mothballs, I might be smart to park the VW for awhile.

Anyone close to Brigham City UT with vagcom?

--2005 Passat 2.0L TDI 202,000 miles--

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
I am not a mechanic, but I love knowing what is going on with my cars and am pleased to with my automotive skills. I love learning new things and this forum has been a gift. In that spirit my comments. I agree that parking the car until getting the TC fault handled is a good idea. My understanding is that if the car is driven too much the TC can overheat and then cause the transmission to overheat causing damage. I had to replace my TC about 10,000 miles ago and so far I have no transmission issues. At 145 k now and am hopeful for the future, but who knows for sure? Good luck.

skiman28

TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I thought I would post a follow up.

I heard back from the dealer today and there's no trace of the P0741 TC code.
Kind of worries me.

I have a sporadic P2100 code possibly caused by a small animal that chewed around my harness/firewall material.

Anyone have a P0741 code come and go?

If my TC is ok what are some things to look for that could cause a sporadic issue like this?

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
I'm surprised unless you cleared the code that the dealer couldn't get a record of the code:confused:. I'm not on my A-game today though, my daughter had an accident with her 05 Passat TDI today, looks like I"m gonna be doing a bumper, right mirror, either repairing or replacing the right fender, headlight and grill and front bumper mount. No injuries and no damage to the Kenworth that clipped her is the only good news

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
when I first started getting the P0741 code I could clear it and sometimes it wouldn't come back for a week or two. But got progressively more frequent.
If you only have to clear it once a month or so leave it. anymore then that I would start weighing your options. TC rebuild (and possible transmission soon after) vs manual swap