Type of p/s fluid?

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
My owner's manual does not state what kind of power steering fluid I need to buy (standard VW lack of disclosure to it's customers - normal for them). Can someone tell me what the fluid is?

02 Beetle TDi

Thanks.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
CHF11S. You can buy it at the dealer, or some better import car parts stores. It's green in color.

-Jason

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Thanks. Are you serious?????

It's different than everyone else's? Jeez! You'd think I was drivin'a Ferrari!

BTW, nice avatar. Is that a 280SE, circa '72? I learned how to drive on one like that!

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Or if you drive by your VW dealer, you can get the right fluid there as well. I believe it's called G20 hydraulic fluid. May be worth checking the prices between stealer and foreign auto parts place first. Good luck.

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Thanks again! My issue is that I am at least 60 minutes away from the single most incompetent stealer in the US!

G20 you say? Is that a type from a standard industry grading system?

If so, the local tractor dealer will have it and they are 5 minutes away!

(crossing fingers until tomorrow....) :D

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Nope, it's a VW spec fluid. G20/G40 is power steering, G50/G52/G60/G70 are all brake fluids and there are others specs.

Incompetent dealer, you say? Well, hopefully the parts dept. will be more useful and safe for your car, as long as they don't get their greasy hands on it. You can also order the fluid from many online vendors. That might save you some time and headache searching around the city.

A few of my personal faves: www.tdiparts.com or www.woldimpex.com or www.boraparts.com You'll need 2 liters for a full flush and fill, or just top up as necessary. Prices hover around $20 a liter.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I think BMW uses that in their power steering system too, along with Audi. Mercedes uses something different.

I think that is a 280SE as my avatar, I don't recall looking at a pic of the back of the car, and I don't have a link to the site i got it from anymore :/

-J

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
J, Mercedes still uses CHF11S in about 1/2 of their cars. The other fluid is very inexpensive. Quite a few Euro auto mrfs use CHF11S in various on-board systems.

Happy T'givin' !

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
dieseldorf said:
You know this is the good stuff because all the wording is in German! The last liter can (the only can of this) I bought cost me $12. That was several years ago!

--Nate

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
PDJetta said:
You know this is the good stuff because all the wording is in German!
You got that straight, Nate!

yeah, I got porked (AKA being unprepared) and needed some fluid for the B4 wagon on a Saturday. Had to go to the local foreign car parts store and paid top dollar +++. However, it was on that particular day that I learned of the importance of changing the PS fluid at some point in the car's life. Uber-cheap maintenance, and that's what keeps these TDIs such practical long-term autos :)

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Thanks once again for the advice, all!

Tractor dealer was a no go. They have all kinds of hydraulic fluids, but not that. NAPA is a no go too.

"On the phone again, just can't wait to get on the phone again...." adapted.

For those of you celebrating - Happy Thanksgiving!:D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
02 Beetlw TDi Victim said:
Thanks. Are you serious?????

It's different than everyone else's? Jeez! You'd think I was drivin'a Ferrari!
All german manufacturers use this fluid. They have for years. In a pinch, regular hydraulic fluid will work if you loose all the fluid, just flush and refill.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
FYI...call your local NAPA store...mine carries this along with quite a few other European specific doo dads ;) You would be surprised :)

02 Beetlw TDi Victim said:
Thanks once again for the advice, all!

Tractor dealer was a no go. They have all kinds of hydraulic fluids, but not that. NAPA is a no go too.

"On the phone again, just can't wait to get on the phone again...." adapted.

For those of you celebrating - Happy Thanksgiving!:D

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yes, I noticed the NAPA near to me carried the 11S as pictured. They started to fairly recently.

--Nate

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Man... you guys and your NAPA stores that carry everything... I ended up at the dealer... $21/qt... unfortunately, still makes noise when turning... :(