post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
you might want to reach out to the folks at https://claimsvwgoa.com/#/login

844 982 5246

and ask them to elevate the question, what exactly you need to do.
Reached out claims they're unaware of letter sent said there's no note in my vehicle file of any letter being sent then they asked where the letter came from i'm really starting to lose patience with them called the dealer back and conveniently told my service rep was gone for the day wasn't feeling well .what's next?on line claims said there was not updated fix yet then proceeded to tell to wait to hear from dealer.

Last edited:

Howie09tdi

TDI
Apparently the latest recall notice sent by VWOA was prematurely sent. According to On line claims they're still working on a software fix to coincide with the TMU replacement for early model TDI's with DSG transmission.If anyone has any other update please let me know.
Thanks "waiting impatiently"

daisysranch

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal Edition
Another 2009 here with same TMU letter from Dec 2017

For all you owners of the 2009 that was said was one that was one of the few that couldn't be fixed with the normal 2009 emissions modification that received a letter in Dec. 2017 you are NOT the only ones. And you are not the only ones that are calling claims having them tell you one minute that corporate says yes the fix was released on 1/4/2018 and then another time you call they say corporate has no idea about this letter and packet we received and that there is no fix and sorry or we will follow up what this letter is about but no one ever does. I have now spoken with a new claims person, then supervisor that claims to talk to corporate, and dealer support 4 times since I got this letter. Every time staying on hold and dealing with drama for over 1 -2 hours. 1/3, 1/5, 1/11, and yesterday 1/17 when two of us were at the dealer with the same letter. Claims were saying the dealers were lying and being lazy and saying to file a complaint against them, dealers were saying that they were doing everything they could but they were being told something different. I even had the dealer service on speakerphone with me while we talked to them last night. The supervisor claimed she literally typed up the "letter" that I received while I dictated it to her. She said she then was sending it up to corporate after being told from corporate that the letter was basically bull**** that they have never heard of this letter nor the new booklet we got about the Transmission Mechatronic Unit needing to be replaced and the additional parts warrantied. Was told they would call me back last night or this morning. I called today - there are NO NOTES OF WHO I TALKED TO AND THAT THIS EVEN HAPPENED! This time I had the dealer witness this.
Here is what I received. I cannot figure out how to attach my letter so this is what is reads: It also included in the package a new booklet about this TMU unit and the new warranties. Interesting enough, if I go back online to VW it still shows the old literature. INTERESTING……what the heck is going on?
VW of America
December 2017
has my name and address
This notice applies to your vehicle: then my vin number
Subject: EPA & CARB Approved Emissions Modifications 2009 Model Year 2.0L TDI, Emissions Recall 23U3 - Emissions Modifications Update Impacting Certain Vehicles.
Dear VW owner.....You should have received a notification in late October or early November of this year describing an approved emissions modification for your vehicle. We are contacting you because we have determined that the previously approved .....cannot be applied to your vehicle without an additional step that was not part of the original emissions modification. As a result.....EPA and CARB have disapproved the previously approved.......and it is no longer available for your vehicle. Unless otherwise noted, any technical communications or materials related to the original.....are no longer applicable.
However, the EPA and CARB have approved a revised emissions modification for your vehicle, which requires an additional step. In particular, the Transmission Mechatronic Unit (TMU) …… must be replaced in order for your vehicle to receive the revised approved emissions modification. This emissions modification is NOW AVAILABLE for your 2009 Model Year 2.0L TDI (GEN 1) vehicle. Not all 2009 Model Year 2.0L TDI (GEN 1) vehicles are impacted by this change; however, if you have received this letter, your vehicle is impacted.
The TMU replacement will add approximately two hours for a total of eight hours of repair time, and you will still receive a complimentary loaner during this time. This replacement will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle. The ENCLOSED BOOKLET describes the REVISED MODIFICATION EMISSIONS MODIFICATION AND THE EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE that will be provided for cars that receive the modification.
Under the settlement agreements…..and the rest is the same of the courts and rulings and that if you want to change to buy back and so forth and to claims number.
At the bottle of the letter it is coded: 23U3_WV.TDI.USA.MECH.12.2017
Page 1 of 1
So there is the letter… Now was has been interesting the drama I have dealt with and others it seems as well across the US that have this particular version of the 2009 automatic cars. As you can see above I have spent countless hours talking to claims. Starting after the letter, claims were clueless, but every time they then put me on hold talked to a supervisor….supervisor was clueless then they “stated” they talked to someone in corporate that stated - THE FIX WAS FINALLY RELEASED ON JANUARY 4TH 2018. But due to holidays it was slow to getting out to everyone. Why owners were given it first before dealer support, claims and dealers, NO ONE KNOWS. But then they would precede to tell me what to do and that they could have the parts and new information to send to the dealer we chose. But a few days later…nothing, and would call again and got the same BS. Claims doesn’t know….hold. and eventually yes according to your vin number there is a fix its slowly getting out. My dealer service department called them everyday to dealer support and tech line - they kept getting there is no fix what is this owner even talking about - what letter - they didn’t even know about this TMU replacements for this. None of the 2009’s that have had the modification required this additional step. I was told 3 different times within one week and half yes there was a fix….yesterday was told to bring in car to dealer along with another person with the same letter. They were going to get the computer scan to send to Tech line to get the parts expedited as I was being told they should….and dead end Tech line said - what the hell you are talking about there is no fix. There may never be a fix. Yes the manuals can’t be fixed supposedly but my car is automatic. So this time I called claims while at the dealer we put them on speaker. This phone call last 1 hour and 45 minutes. We finally asked to talk to supervisor directly after being told from claims that they just contacted corporate and corporate said these letters and booklets were bogus and a mistake. WHAT???? So we waited and then talked to supervisor….she made me read the letter word for word as she “typed” she claims the letter I received - again while she was on speaker phone and others heard this from VW. She then stated hold and she was sending this on to corporate to read. We waited another 15 minutes - then she got back on and stated they must have left for the day and that she would either call me back later that night or the next morning after hearing from corporate. Well no call. So this after noon I called corporate customer care. What do you know was sent back to Claims - customer care is NOT allowed to handle anything related to this. So back at claims - one hour later. Guess what…just like before there is NO RECORD OF THE DETAILS OF WHAT THEY TOLD ME - NOTHING MENTIONED THAT THEY EVEN SPOKE WITH CORPORATE. What was written in the notes? That I called and was told there is no fix. Nothing of the letter was mentioned. So basically it seems I have been lied to for days keeping me on hold. That the person I spoke with doesn’t even show she was an actual supervisor. The other phone calls others heard the conversation - yesterday’s the dealer service guys. Called them back and told them what they told me - after a short pause the dealer service guy starts laughing and goes what the hell is going on? I heard what they said. I have seen your letters and booklets. I have seen a few now over the past two weeks. But yet claims, and corporate said they don’t exist. Are we all crazy? How many of you out there have this letter? Should we find a way to contact the lawyers of this lawsuit. SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW THE TRUTH AND WHAT IS GOING ON.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm thinking all of you with these letters should probably be contacting class counsel, if the dealers don't know what's going on, and claims and corporate are stonewalling?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]275 Battery Street, 29th Floor[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]San Francisco, CA 94111-3339[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.lieffcabraser.com[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1](http://www.lieffcabraser.com/[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])

if you enter your info and few lines as summary of your experience entered in the web site below
will get you assigned to a local attorney who will compile your info and ask the question to vw lawyers who will obtain the current status.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/consumer/vw-emissions-recall/

this will take a little time, but may get you an answer.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

daisysranch

TDI
Thank you for this. I was wondering if there was a way to contact the legal team of VW. Either way if it was a mistake or not. The amount of hours, and stress I have dealt with since this letter came out has been horrible and unfair to all of us and the dealers. Mainly us its like its ready...psych, it's ready....psych.

Howie09tdi

TDI
Thanks, reached out to the link you provided waiting for a response emailed them the letter that daisysranch spoke about. Hopefully someone replies
Thanks again

daisysranch

TDI
A possible Answer to this letter....

This is for the TMU - Transmission Mechatronic Unit (TMU) 2009 Jetta TDI's ONLY the ones that received that letter about the TMU unit replacement in December.

On Saturday Jan. 20 I finally received a call back from that one supervisor that had be read the letter to her and she said she was sending it to the corporate office to see what was going on. I kind of figured she was never going to call me back since that was on Wednesday that I had talked with her. But she did call me back.

She was FULL OF APOLOGIES. We are NOT crazy. VW messed up. Not that we weren't supposed to get the letters, that someone in their department failed to ALSO send that information to THEIR people. She stated that YES between the dates of January 3 and January 4th they FIXED the mess with our particular 2009
s. And yes we needed the TMU unit replaced and so forth. WHY, on their end only we received the letters no one knew but clearly someone really messed up and caused a lot of confusion.

She stated that once she got off the phone with me, she was going to email all supervisors of this update and then the dealer support, tech lines and dealers would also be hearing of this within the week.

So keep calling your dealership and give them this information. Christy stated that anyone can call and request to speak to her or another supervisor and reference her ID number. So yes updates and parts are available - everyone knows now- now its just waiting to get these parts shipped out to the dealerships.

Her name is: Christy. Her VW supervisor ID # : VNDRAGEROCT3

I just chatted with someone online with claims and finally even they are stating it is available but parts haven't gotten out to the dealers yet. But Christy did state, once everyone was on board, a dealer could contact Tech Line and give our VIN number and request the parts for new modification to be expedited.

Hope this helps you guys. We WERE NOT CRAZY!

Last edited:

Howie09tdi

TDI
this is for the tmu - transmission mechatronic unit (tmu) 2009 jetta tdi's only the ones that received that letter about the tmu unit replacement in december.

On saturday jan. 20 i finally received a call back from that one supervisor that had be read the letter to her and she said she was sending it to the corporate office to see what was going on. I kind of figured she was never going to call me back since that was on wednesday that i had talked with her. But she did call me back.

She was full of apologies. We are not crazy. Vw messed up. Not that we weren't supposed to get the letters, that someone in their department failed to also send that information to their people. She stated that yes between the dates of january 3 and january 4th they fixed the mess with our particular 2009
s. And yes we needed the tmu unit replaced and so forth. Why, on their end only we received the letters no one knew but clearly someone really messed up and caused a lot of confusion.

She stated that once she got off the phone with me, she was going to email all supervisors of this update and then the dealer support, tech lines and dealers would also be hearing of this within the week.

So keep calling your dealership and give them this information. Christy stated that anyone can call and request to speak to her or another supervisor and reference her id number. So yes updates and parts are available - everyone knows now- now its just waiting to get these parts shipped out to the dealerships.

Her name is: Christy. Her vw supervisor id # : Vndrageroct3

i just chatted with someone online with claims and finally even they are stating it is available but parts haven't gotten out to the dealers yet. But christy did state, once everyone was on board, a dealer could contact tech line and give our vin number and request the parts for new modification to be expedited.

Hope this helps you guys. We were not crazy!
awesome news thanks for the extra legwork and in the process of reaching out to my dealerships service team

daisysranch

TDI
Any news?

So last I called the claims, and online and at least they are all on board with there was a fix for our 2009's. But Christy that supervisor stated it should take a week and the Dealer Support and Tech Lines would also be in the loop and parts and such would be available to the dealers soon after. I called yesterday and I left a message for christy but haven't heard back whether or not this happened. and i called my dealer and left a message but didn't hear back - so assuming they still haven't gotten their stuff - this is stupid. So anyone hear from their dealer if they got the stuff yet?

Howie09tdi

TDI
So last I called the claims, and online and at least they are all on board with there was a fix for our 2009's. But Christy that supervisor stated it should take a week and the Dealer Support and Tech Lines would also be in the loop and parts and such would be available to the dealers soon after. I called yesterday and I left a message for christy but haven't heard back whether or not this happened. and i called my dealer and left a message but didn't hear back - so assuming they still haven't gotten their stuff - this is stupid. So anyone hear from their dealer if they got the stuff yet?
My dealer stated that there are no parts yet. No idea when but will notify when he hears something.Seriously considering the buy back option.

daisysranch

TDI
Email this morning?

So I got this email this morning:

Volkswagen Group of America <TDISettlementSupport_NoReply@vw.com>
8:25 AM (2 hours ago)

This message is to notify you that when you take your vehicle to your preferred dealer to have the emissions repair performed, you will need to provide your claim number to the dealer to ensure that you receive the cash payment for your claim. For your vehicle with VIN 3VWCL71K59M001472, your reference number is 161047855.

In order to expedite your appointment, please save and bring a copy of this email or your offer letter, which has your reference number at the top, to the dealership at the time of your emissions repair appointment.

So called up dealer - they said let's make an appointment then. Just got off with VW chat - once again - we are back to they are clueless and said no idea about the parts or when they will be available. What the heck was this email for then???

Gina

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Here is an opinion I have formed sometime in the last ten years:

VW customer care web and phone interfaces are there for one reason, to get you to contact the local dealer.

other than that, they seldom have correct info.

I had a chat where they said it was up to dealer discretion to do DSG service.....

the emissions fix folks are quite separate from the customer care folks.....

if the dealer will make an appt, take it in.

Make sure you like the loaner. you might have it more than a day.

Last edited:

cjones101379

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Alas, a call from the Dealer, Mechatronics unit has arrived. I need a new EGR valve. Then I can pickup my car on Friday. The Emission Fix on my 2009 DSG Tdi will be complete. I dropped it off in August and I’m ready to be done. That should give some hope to those of you on the struggle.

Howie09tdi

TDI
Has anyone done the buyback with a non running car my 09 tdi quit and opted for the buyback just curious if anyone has gone this route they do ask whether car was and/or quit running.

Howie09tdi

TDI
Howie, what is wrong with the car?
Turbo
no boost pressure. Engine quit . In the buyback option they ask whether or not car is running I replied no. They still made the offer upon scheduling appointments to deliver vehicle noticed that car has to be driven in under it's own power. Has been sitting since February 4 2018 . Bought a 2015 Beetle TDI with only 72 miles on it.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The engine should be able to run without boost, unless there's an intake obstruction?

Howie09tdi

TDI
Howie, what is wrong with the car?
The engine should be able to run without boost, unless there's an intake obstruction?
Think it might have leaked oil into intake. Did fire up once after it was parked for a couple weeks. Battery is dead right now and car is sitting plan on towing it up to dealership at buyback.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm inclined to say pull the glow plugs (CAREFULLY), crank it over to blow out any oil, reinstall them (also carefully), and see whether you can get it running.

They won't take it if it's not running. You need to get it running and moving under its own power to get the buyback done.

Also, I'd say remove the turbo oil feed line and plug it - you don't want a runaway.

Howie09tdi

TDI
Just an update my 09 tdi sits at the dealer waiting on an appeal with vw since they offered the 11k for the buyback knowing the car was not running has been at the dealer since the original closing date of 4/20 engine is gone hydro locked thanks for the info sorry about the late follow up .
Enjoying my 2015 beetle tdi