TDIFest 2016 location discussion

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Least favorite because of location or least favorite because of the activity schedule?
Activity Schedule! IMHO a TDI Fest should be a GTG and not a wrenching event!
I've come to recognize the fact, and to accept, that the 'fest have been just another GTG at another location. I, and others, have been to bigger attendee count TDI GTG than some 'fests, so, yeah, "The Fest" is just a glorified, better planned, GTG.

I've also come to realize that the trip to and then from the 'fest are the most vivid memories of the weekend excuse to get out of town. Wisconsin? Which one was that? Oh, yeah, Val D'or, Timmins, Hearst, Thunder Bay, driving with just parking lights and northern lights illuminating the way, beeping the horn to wake the US Border agent rather than just sneaking back into the US.
So have a 'fest without a scheduled activity agenda, or fill the 72+ hours with 108 hours of stuff to do. Either is fine. It's the journey that I enjoy.

Having technical information spoken to me isn't how I learn best. I learn more quickly from hands-on action, right brain for listening and storing, left brain for putting the theory to practice. I didn't learn to swim from reading a book, after all.
So my all-too-frequent replacement of one TDI for another that needs a fair amount of remediation, not a new car where my biggest worry is waterspots from the morning dew, make me appreciative of the opportunity to get greasy dirt under my nails under the tutelage of one that has walked this mechanical road I have set out on.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Jon, I like your post. It is the journey I appreciate on any road trip. New sights, new sounds, new people I meet on the journey. Mt. Shasta in the full moon at 3 a.m., the zoo in Vancouver, Breakfast at an old diner in Fargo, North Dakota or waking up in Yellowstone to a dawn eruption of Old Faithful. It is the journey more tan the destination that makes the road trip.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I need to get out more.

I prefer not to have a full schedule for the Fest since it's a pain rushing from one thing to another but too much free time is also a killer. I prefer to see planned itinerary with pertinent classes on interesting topics, which I admit its harder to satisfy due to the age of the vehicles with which I am experienced.

henjr23

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
In wake of VW scandal

I say the 2016 location should be in the vicinity of

Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460

would be fun to show support for VW and say screw the EPA at the same time.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I say the 2016 location should be in the vicinity of
Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460
would be fun to show support for VW and say screw the EPA at the same time.
That doesn't sound particularly exciting, since the EPA offices would likely be empty on Labor Day Weekend. ;)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My only requirements are that it's somewhere where there's a beautiful drive to/from the fest and it doesn't take several days of driving... I'd say within 1000-1500 miles of Baltimore would be fine with me :D

Lug_Nut

TDI
My only requirements are that it's somewhere where there's a beautiful drive to/from the fest and it does take several days of driving...
fixed it for ya.
Well, fixed it for ME.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My only requirements are that it's somewhere where there's a beautiful drive to/from the fest and it doesn't take several days of driving... I'd say within 1000-1500 miles of Baltimore would be fine with me :D
So where were you this year? :confused:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Sure... the boss says" Keep your nose to the grindstone.", and "Work your fingers to the bone."
So where is he or she when you have to ask for help to pick your nose?

jeepnguy

TDI
2011 JSW
CO is pretty central. If you want to go smack dab, it'd be somewhere in the middle of no where Nebraska.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Geographic center of the US is Jefferson City MO. Been there a bunch. Not a very exciting area unless distribution centers are your thing. Branson, MO, perhaps? (joking).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Geographic center of the US is Jefferson City MO. Been there a bunch. Not a very exciting area unless distribution centers are your thing. Branson, MO, perhaps? (joking).
I think that the entire state of MO is out of the running. If I recall correctly is was Missouri state law that scuttled the St. Louis TDIFest in 2014.

Have Fun!

Don

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I think that the entire state of MO is out of the running. If I recall correctly is was Missouri state law that scuttled the St. Louis TDIFest in 2014.

Have Fun!

Don
Well, what can you expect from the Missouri "Pukes"? :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Have Fun!

Don
He have figured out acceptable ways around those problems. Missouri could happen in the future.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT