First Days, New Golf...

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
"The daytime running light was first mandated, and safety benefits first perceived, in Scandinavian countries where it is frequently and persistently dark during daytime hours in winter time. As ambient light levels increase, the potential safety benefit decreases while the DRL intensity required for a safety improvement increases. The safety benefit produced by DRLs in relatively dark Nordic countries is roughly triple the benefit observed in relatively bright Israel and America." from //http://members.optusnet.com.au/carsafety/paine_drl_nrma_racv.pdf/

It seems that during twilight and dusk, the DRL have a plus factor. Just FYI.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
A follow-up on this VW Golf TDI, 18 months later...

Shortly after the last post with 5k miles, we moved to Germany and have been here since. The car is performing well on its home turf and is receiving proper care with knowledgable and proficient mechanics.

The primary duty cycle for the Golf is around town, but the autobahn brings out the car's strengths. It easily surpasses 100mph, although as you approach 115mph to 120mph, acceleration slows. The fuel management is wonderful, though, as coasting down to non-stratospheric speeds is fuel-free and the net result is sustained fuel economy. Here are a couple of numbers:
1. Return trip from Hockenheim to Bamberg: 2h45m, -averaging- 75mph, yielding 37mpg.
2. Neuschwanstein Castle to Bamberg: 240 miles in 3hr12min at 37.0mpg
That's 3hr12min @ 75mph = 37.0mpg
Where can YOU legally average 75mph+ for over 3 hours?

Tomorrow it goes in for service. It's purring like a kitten with a slight cold, which is to be expected for a diesel. It's performing extremely well and with the autobahn miles, breaking in quite properly.

Returning to the states will be a hassle, though. Slower speeds and better fuel economy at the loss of a society of safer and properly disciplined drivers. For those who've not experienced the German autobahn, it's an utterly liberating and quite predictable driving experience.

Cheers,

DSLPWR

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
DSLPWR.
Thanks for trying to keep your thread on topic. I realize it is an old thread(2011). Nice to get your updates. Never driven on the autobahn but have driven in Australia, Ireland, USA, China, and Russia. And Canada of coarse.

Last edited:

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Been a While... Here's an Update.

So, another long-interval update. Still own the vehicle, and was reassigned stateside July, 2014. I miss German roads and predictable, disciplined drivers.

The Golf is rolling up on 48k miles, runs like a champ but has some minor issues. I have another thread requesting assistance on reputable service locations in the Kansas City area, but please feel free to post here! Already tracking kansascitytdi.com and may head there soon.

1. Throb in the rear somewhere on right-hand turns. Thinking wheel bearing or brake drag. That'll get checked in the upcoming service.

2. Rattle in the engine bay shortly after starting. I expect it's the fuel rack recall thing. Again, will get it checked during service.

3. Battle damage report: garage door stopped just out of view and my wife backed up into the door, scraping the rear spoiler. Cosmetic only, yet annoying.

Not much else to report, except for something fun: switch blank decals.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
I actually had the switch blank decals drawn up a couple years ago. Found a transfer decal shop and developed a long list of short text options sized to fit the blanks, in the proper VW font. However, the wife never got 'round to deciding which ones she wanted to install.

A month or so ago, I made the decision to put 'em on, so we teamed up to decide what we liked.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Update: TDI now has 89k on it, and just went in for 5k service. Usage pattern's been 85% highway, occasional highway congestion followed by open runs of 75-80mph, then rural cooldown - 15%.

Check engine light came on a few days before it went in for service. Was ignorant, thought it was just an indicator that service was upcoming.

When I brought it in, I mentioned the recent CEL and a slight stumble on acceleration at low-mid rpm's (sensor was replaced due to same faul during last service, no improvement, and only a minor inconvenience.

During service, I was advised "Well, that's a $2k CEL." Dealer says DPF needs replaced. I said "I'll take the car with the CEL; you just perform the service. Please provide the thrown codes." No troubles with that.

Thrown codes:
1. P240F: EGR Slow Response
2. P0401: EGR Flow insufficient / Upper Limit Exceeded Intermittent

Here's my question for the smart crowd: How do these codes point to DPF fail over EGR filter fail? Wouldn't you troubleshoot the EGR before jumping to DPF replacement?

Any advice here is appreciated before I drop $2,200 into a DPF replacement.

Many Thanks,

DSLPWR

Last edited:

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
By the way, car's been excellent, often returning mid-upper 40's mpg's in aforementioned usage patterns. If I get a light-traffic day, I've seen 50mpg, and that's at ~70mph highway (offset by some 35-40mph light rural driving). Very smooth 6MT, great suspension, and clean as a whistle underneath. Astounding for New England conditions.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I think with that diagnosis you want to let VW buy the car back from you, and buy yourself another used TDI (either 2015 or, when they become available, an older one exactly like yours.) You should even come out slightly ahead.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Do not the cars have to be clear of CELs to buyback? I also would be hesitant to trust a VW dealership's knowledge with the diesel cars. Never had to look into those codes, because I had no EGR.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Consider yourself lucky that that 'dieselgate' thing seems to have bypassed you completely. You saved countless hours by not following it here...

But since it now seems you should look into taking advantage of the buyback offer that resulted from it, head on over to

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com

and have a read. I'm guessing a 2011 Golf fetches about $19k if sold back to VW.
A calculator can be found here: https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ .

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Unless I'm missing something here you appear to be eligible for getting the car fixed, now that it's approved by the EPA. You may or may not be on the hook for a new DPF but at least some of the labor will be covered since they'll be replacing the CAT. And you'll get restitution, so you'll be ahead even if you have to pay for the DPF. If you like the car and want to keep it that's an option.

I also wonder if the DPF is faulty at all. Might be the throttle body.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Paid $20837
2013, 94000 km. Current black book was $12100.
We traded it for a new TSI wagon, $23845 plus tax and delivery (taxes reduced by current trade-in value).
Is that how the buy-back generally works in Canada, or did you cut a special deal with your dealer (trade-in with dealer; dealer then is the owner who does the actual return to VW)?

If one could get dealers to agree to that here in the States, that would save people in high sales tax states a ton of money!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Is that how the buy-back generally works in Canada, or did you cut a special deal with your dealer (trade-in with dealer; dealer then is the owner who does the actual return to VW)?
If one could get dealers to agree to that here in the States, that would save people in high sales tax states a ton of money!
It's how the buy-back with trade option works. You get:

Black book value at Sept. 18 2015, $15337 in my case
$5500 sorry money
Tax credit on current market value of car at trade, $12165 in my case.

We applied the full $20837 to the new car. We paid sales tax on the difference between the new car and $12165.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
DSLPWR, You should look at the buyback numbers. I turned my 11 Golf in at the end of Feb 17. Purchased it in Sep 11 as a year end close out. I figured that after the buyback money, the VW guilt money, and the Bosch check, the car cost me less than $3000 total to own for 5.5 years and about 60k miles.

samarai

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ tech pkg.
New Golf

Value? I'm not so sure about that. New car infatuation maybe. For those of us that got burned by VW's HPFP issue, electrical problems and a host of other problems that VWOA seemed to ignore, there wasn't a whole lot of value. I dumped my 2012 Golf TDI to avoid any future issues with the car and have re-thought this whole diesel car issue. VW has basically poisoned the diesel car market here in the US for years to come. Add up poor dealer service to the mix while we are at it. Unless you are a long haul trucker or have a need to tow, I really question the need for diesel cars, anyway. This was my second VW, and my last. I will never own another VW or Audi product again, period.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Just the opposite for me. I think I'm hooked for life. My 2010 MK6 Golf TDI has been a dream! I'll keep it as long as I can and then get a GTI, maybe an MK8 or MK9 when the time comes.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Paperwork submitted to VW for turn-in. Nothing back for a couple weeks now.

This past weekend, I went on a trip to NYC, smelled fumes and thought it was just city smog. Departing the city, they were just as bad. Overnighted in NJ (planned) and checked under the hood next AM: fuel filter can was a pool of diesel. Fired it up, and it was just spitting fuel. Did what we could to stymie the leakage, but no place was open for service and I kept moving. Hours went by swimmingly, 40+ mpg and no fumes unless I slowed to a stop. As long as I was moving, things seemed fine. Climbing a long grade, though, it just died. Serpentine belt shredded, due to fuel exposure.

Pulled off the road and got towed forward to a dealership. Apparently, enough fuel and serpentine belt shreds got in behind the timing belt inspection hole that it jumped teeth! No internal damages, but now need new serpentine belt. Interestingly, I just had a service done on the car. Cause for the problem: pinched fuel filer O-ring failed. The servicing dealership is standing by their warranty and intends to reimburse me for all expenses (within reason, as I had the two dealerships talk and they're not screwing with each other or me).

One other unexplained situation: starter is in constant contact with flywheel. They removed and bench tested the starter and the solenoid's retracting the starter gear completely. So, question is: how are they in contact unless the flywheel walked, which doesn't *seem* to be the case. More diagnosis shortly.

The dealership repairing the car provided a loaner through the week, free of charge.

So far, the two dealerships involved are surprisingly amenable and agreeable to the situation. I certainly hope the amicability continues.

Will update as information comes available. Currently a bit over 100k on the clock. FIRST time in ownership -since new- this car has let anyone down.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
crappy!

Amazing that the dealers will spend the money to get it back on the road on a car that VWoA will most likely crush.

It's right up there with VWoA spending about $3500 in both rocker replacements 18 months before my 2010 was crushed.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
VW TDI update:

At the CT dealership, the following work and results were noted:
1. Fuel filter gasket replaced.
2. Serpentine belt replaced.
3. Timing belt replaced.
4. Engine running poorly.
The CT dealership confirmed my suspicion that the leaking filter gasket caused the belt to shred and fail. They went on to say that serpentine belt shreds and diesel penetrated an inspection hole and ilkely caused the timing belt to skip teeth, causing further damages. However, a borescope inspection of the valves and head yielded no damages, so cause was not determined.

It was determined that the starter solenoid indeed failed, causing it to not withdraw fully. A new starter resolved that problem.

Based on costs to resolve the poor running engine, car was moved up to the warranting NH dealer for further work.

At the NH dealer, valve / head damages have been ruled out.
An overnight leakdown test results in a morning hard start.
And a specific gravity test concludes diesel fuel but 2 of 3 "sniffer" tests rendered "trace" amounts of gasoline.

This is where the reindeer games begin.

Because there's "trace" amounts of gasoline in the fuel, anything related to that fault are not covered under warranty. This would include much of the trouble so far - fuel filter gasket, leak, shredded belt, timing belt, and anything downstream resulting in the "poor running engine." I have records for every fillup virtually since I've owned the car. The last refill was conducted in NJ and I specifically reiterated to the attendant to fill it with diesel. That was some 160mi before the fuel filter failed.

I’m of the belief the blown filter gasket resulted in fuel starvation to the injectors, causing the injectors to batter themselves to a point where they’re damaged and injecting poorly, resulting in a “poor running engine.” This would also fit with the overnight leakdown results, right?

In all this, however, the shop has not said a thing about injectors as a potential cause for the poor running engine.

SO, I’m putting this out to the field here: knowing what’s presented here, what else could cause a "poor running engine" after the work performed?

I presume the dealership primed the fuel system properly after replacing the gasket, so I’m not considering that as any cause for trouble.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited: