Looking for some advice???00 beetle

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
I need some help ive taken the role of caring for my girl friends 2000 beetle TDI .....woooo
So i signed up for this site first...and yes this is my first post ...wooo #2
Im no stranger to VW's just TDIs' Im a long time member on VWvortex.com

Ok to my questions first ....I want to upgrade Exhaust , I know TTuning makes one for the Bug are there any others out there???

2nd question ecu module whats the best route for plug and play ?????

Thanks for any advice ............

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Welcome to the club!

1) The exhaust upgrade won't do too much w/a stock vehicle. A lot of people on here will just make a straight pipe instead, it'll lower the EGTs a little bit and it'll make the turbo whistle louder:).

2) For the best plug and play tuning I would have to say it would be the Qloader. You can get it from KermaTDI. Basically they email you a custom tune, you load it on to the Qloader which plugs into the OBD2 port and it'll upload the tune to the ecu.

Another way would be to get it chipped by Rocketchip. Or you can get a tuning box from JSPerformance.

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
You dont would think just like on non TDI vws that a free'r flowing exhaust with better muffler and better flowing pipes would do min. increase in performance?? I would think it would be better for the turbo just like my VrT....

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Something you need to realize about diesels is that it's not the increase in air that increases the power, it's the increase in fuel. The extra air/boost just cleans up the smoke and keeps temps down. Your girlfriend's TDI will benefit from some simple fueling mods (bigger injector nozzles are a cheap one, a tuning box is another option, and a chip is also a good option).

If you decide to mod her TDI, I'd suggest you take a bit of time and make sure the car's in top running condition first. Usual stuff like timing belt, intake cleaning, general maintenance, etc. Then take a minute to decide with your girlfriend what she wants to do as far as power goes, then make a plan and buy the parts you need (do some reading on here to figure out what parts you have to chose from). By the way, make sure that you budget for a new, upgraded clutch if you plan on any more than 2 power mods.

Good luck and welcome to TDI Club!

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
what the h+ll you taking about, "Its a beetle don't do anything to it" I also run a 2000 NB, have installed several mods and would stack it up to any tdi on the interstate for power and punch. It is only Audi TT platform with a different shell on top. A good mod NB will outperform any tdi on the road, (that should raise some response). Rocketchip is the way to go, harder to get but well worth the wait.

droppedjet said:
Its A bettle dont do anything to it...lol im just playin but yeah I would do a downpipe and and the q-loader chip and drop it thats it

Last edited:

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
Well i figured to get a little better exhaust on there cause its going to need a new one....dont have to worry about clutch its an Auto...Reason for some mods is its dawg slow so i want to put a little more pep in it for when i drive it lol . Any one in here running a TTuning exhaust?? what size is the stock exhaust? What are the best simple plug and play adds. nozzles install very hard on those?

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
Also car is up to date with all maint. goes to VW when ever something is do...

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Beezman7 said:
..... nozzles install very hard on those?
They aren't too hard to install. There's a pdf file around here on how to do it. It only took me about an hour to install mine.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I tool my NB to the local muffler shop and the 3" system, from before the cat to the rear was only $125.00. It will last as long as I have this car.

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
How loud is it compared to the stock exhaust , what muffler did you go with if any?

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
Dont use a muffler and its not much louder your turbo will whistle a bit louder thats about it really as mentioned read up on that trans b4 you mod this car

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
Really KN (drop in)killed your map ....that happen to anyone else?? Did you try writing KN???

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Actually it can foul up you MAF (mass airflow) sensor, not the MAP which is located near your intercooler.

Here's a link to a test done that shows the OE paper filter is actually better than any aftermarket oiled air filter such as a K&N - LINK

As for the exhaust, like some have already posted, a nice neat straight pipe from just behind the stock muffler with downturned pipe will help the turbo spool up a bit quicker and won't be much louder than stock, only a more noticeable turbo whistle.

Injector nozzles would be a good upgrade, then maybe a chip flash or a tuning box to compliment it. This will give a notceable increase in pep and may even result in better mileage .. depending on how it's driven.

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
wow well thats good info....well looks like ill be adding the straight exhaust and nozzles (have to look up DYI )and a plug and play module ...Mods more or less will add MPG my GF drives the TDI like a turtle bug JK its not very fast to begin with but these installs should help ......on another note Also got her some new hawk pads

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I went with a straight thru 3" with no cat and no muffler, it is not much louder than stock, as stated above the turbo whistle is higher, but I like the sound. at highway speeds the car is completely quite, not loud and it feels like it runs better. no hesitation when going wot at highway speeds. but of course you can see I have done several other mods and will be doing more this weekend.oh i forgot to mention, for all you epa nurds out there, of course my nb is only used for the baja 500 and only started twice a year. haha

Last edited:

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
Well the exhaust will be super cheap for me to do at my buddy vDub shop . What you running for the ecu a chip or plug and play module??Also you see any problems with KN filer like above??

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
breezman
I have had no problems with the K&N, I feel people just over oil them and then of course the MAP gets eaton. I, as in the signature, am running a RC 3+/4, it will be a true 4 after installing the 3 bar map and the 17/22 turbo and the 764s. (It was tuned by Jeff as a RC4 and I had to place a boost valve in it to keep it from spiking past 30 psi.) These are being installed Monday, by Krout in Jacksonville, Fl.
It is a real rocket now and I can not, yes I can I drove Krouts RC5, imagine what it will feel like when I have it installed in my trusty NB. If you see a yellow NB coming up fast in your rearview mirror, I don't suggest you try to out run it , it will be me and for a while no one will pass me. hahahhahahhaha

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If she drives it like a turtle, you need to check the intake manifold for plugging and check the turbo actuator for full movement. Since you do the maintenance on it, number one troubleshooting tool is a hand-held vacuum pump. Number two tool is a VAG-COM.

Beezman7

TDI
GF's 2000 Beetle TDI
mmmm now i find out over the summer i will be getting the fiances bug....what to do what to do????????

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
One of the best bangs for the buck, simple and easy to do, is to install manual transmission injectors in the automatic car. Instant 10+ hp, you really DO feel it, and it will have great driveability.

The exhaust by itself will do nothing other than make it sound meaner, but is almost a must to keep the EGTs down if you do other mods. However with the 01M you really won't want to do anything else, IMHO.

I would recode the TCM to lose the DSP though.