New (to me) 2013 JSW 6spd TDI!

CincyJSW

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
So I pulled the trigger and bought a new(er) car and this was about the only one in the country that fit the bill: manual, diesel, car seat anchors, and brown! I absolutely love it and it pulls like my old diesel Mercedes never could. I read the dieselgate warranty and I just may buy a Touareg/Q5/Q7/Cayenne diesel for my wife if VAG seems intent on actually honoring these incredibly broad warranties - moreover, I'd be little concerned they may request a subsequent court limit the transferability of these warranties after they finish a good faith roll out / crush down of the affected cars in the next year or so.

Anyway........it appears a JSW is supposed to get the clutch fluid replaced at 30K miles and mine has 37K and the dealer who performed the 30K service cannot confirm whether the clutch fluid was changed. Thoughts? Advice? Any particular tools like an oil filter ratchet head (saw it already, thanks!) that I must have? How does one do a valve adjustment on a JSW!? Anybody local to the Cincinnati area that wants to meet up and wrench sometime on an old diesel Benz or a newer JSW!?!?

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Congrats, I'm real happy with mine too. I found the color and options I wanted and the mandated warranty, courtesy of dieselgate, made it a no-brainer.

I've been looking into what each service interval entails, but 30k seems a bit early compared to my old Saab. Its usually a decently heavy oil, 75w or 90w, but I'm learning as I go too. Curious to dig into it a little more, since I've put 5k on since beginning of June and dont plan on stopping. The 6MT is a dream to drive here in the western states.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No valve adjustment, lol. Haven't had to do that on any VW for many years, nor on a Mercedes since the early 90s, for that matter.

The "clutch fluid" you mention is really a brake fluid flush. Should be flushed every two years to keep the moisture out of the brake system. If it hasn't been done on your car it's overdue. Clutch operates off the same fluid reservoir. Should be flushed every two years to keep the moisture out of the brake system. If it hasn't been done on your car it's overdue. Best way is to have a power bleeder and to bleed each brake caliper, starting the farthest from the reservoir, or right rear. Takes about a liter of fluid.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
every 30K miles? Is that according to the maintenance schedule in the owners manual or the dealer trying to extract more money out of you? Some dealers are notorious for recommending unneeded maintenance. READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Congrats. Get the Maintenance schedule. Get a notebook and start keeping track. Yes Maintenance records are important. The dealer only knows if it was done if it was done at the dealer (and the dealer logged it into the system properly). VW does track maintenance by VIN. They can look up what previous owner had done. Some dealers will not let you see the records but they should say yes or no.

If you are in doubt do it. I recommend you try and find an independent VW dealer. Dealers do not put their top mechanics on basic maintenance jobs, and charge an arm and leg. Worse they do it improperly and cause more damage than good.

As was said after initial period, VW recommends every 2 years hydraulic fluids (brake, clutch) are flushed to keep moisture down in the system. This is to prevent internal corrosion. The issue is the fluid absorbs moisture. In a dry climate like Phoenix I doubt there is a lot of moisture in the fluid.

I go more than 2 years before I do full flush of my brake system. However every year or two I suck out almost all the fluid from the master reservoir and then I add fresh fluid back. This is NOT the proper flushing the VW manual calls for, but it can't hurt. It is not getting all the fluid, especially at the other end of the line. I do flush the lines at some point, just not every 2 years. On my 8 year old car I have done a full flush 2 times. (Like you, I bought it used. Dealer said 40K service was supposedly done, but they were vague about the brake fluid.)

Moisture in the brake or clutch lines and slave cylinder in "theory" can corrode it. It is the theory. If you live in a dry climate 2 year interval can be extended. I doubt 4 years or 40K it will damage the brake/clutch system. DO USE THE PROPER VW FLUIDS.

Last edited: