2006 VW Jetta TDI - Nice Shape, 220K - Black Hills of South Dakota

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
$3000

See information from today's post below (7-5-18) that updates this original post over a year old.

I'm down to licensing and insuring 7 things so still trying to thin the herd, thus, my 2006 Jetta is for sale. I've bought and sold cars here on TDIClub so somewhere out there are a couple people that can vouch for me.

The Jetta is an auto with just under 220K miles on it but going up by 250 miles a week as it's still my commuter. I believe it has the package 1 with leather, cruise, electric windows, locks, and many other options.

As I think you'll see by the pictures, the interior is in very good shape for the age. The only real downsides are very minimal wear on the buttons and a steering wheel that clearly shows wear. A slight touch up for the buttons and a cover for the steering wheel would be a simple cosmetic fix but I'd prefer to show all the good and bad. On the outside, the body is in what I would call great shape for the age and miles, too. No big dents or anything but certainly an occasional mark. The wheels look ok but up close they definitely are marked in places.

Mechanically, I feel it's in good running shape as it's had all the normal things done to it most of these have had done to them. Completely gone through around 150k with new cam, new DMF, timing belt, and much more along the way. The turbo was replaced at 175K. The tires are relatively new and look really good as they have lots of life - probably 10K on them in total without looking it up. AC works well. The only mechanical thing at all is the typical 2006 hiss when accelerating - slight boost leak. There are many threads how to fix this for $5 or how to do a delete to the emissions but I've been lazy about it. It runs fine as is, gets 40-45 and has no lights on the dash for codes on. It has a very nice Pioneer DVD touchscreen headunit with an XM radio antenna. I spent about $600 on that whole setup.

Financially, I don't need to sell it but I think I'm in a good price range to move it on. I think $4750 is a fair price compared to what I've seen on here until I can be convinced differently.

Here's a link to the other pictures. I tried to link them here but they were huge and it messed up the whole page.
http://imgur.com/a/nZXmD

Last edited:

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
No interest in a couple days....I'm a little surprised.

Maybe these cars just generate very little interest?

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I sold two BRMs in the last couple months. I had them listed here, but also got very little interest. Craigslist is where the buyers came from. The last one I listed I had 3 people seriously interested, and no responses from the club. I don't know what that's about. When I lived in Pennsylvania I had better luck buying and selling on here, but I think it's tougher in the middle part of the country.

The other thing is low fuel prices. Diesels, and cars in general, are not commanding high prices right now.

Have you tried craigslist?

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll try CL and be more aggressive I guess. I always like to try here first as people know a lot more about what they are getting. I'd rather people know all the downsides of a VW than just deal with those that just found out that TDIs 'get 50 mpg'.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Not even a Craigslist hit so maybe the price is too steep. Seems hard to believe but fuel prices might be some of it. I'm not going to have a fire sale just to get rid of but would certainly entertain reasonable offers.

Thanks!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Honestly, i think there may be a general feeling of mistrust from the non-tdi communities and maybe the tdi people have run out of money. lol.
I myself am biased toward alh tdis but you've got a good jetta there.

on another note, it's hard to think that your price is too steep, unless you started out much higher than the 4750 you show now.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I liked my ALH a lot, too. It was simpler. There are upsides to both but the MKV is just a little nicer to drive. Of course the ALH had a little more juice and got better mileage. That's a tough combo to beat.

Frankly, I don't really want to sell this to a non-TDI'er that doesn't know all about these cars. If you think it's like buying a Camry where you change the oil and drive while also getting better mileage and a better driving experience, you'll be unhappy when it needs special attention.

I started at $4750. It's in pretty nice shape but the reality is that you can't just drive it another 100k miles without doing some maintenance along the way. I can appreciate those that don't want to deal with that. I also understand why that isn't a deterrent to those that love TDIs...like me.

I won't give it away. It costs me a little for insurance and licensing each year but it's not a big hassle.

Honestly, i think there may be a general feeling of mistrust from the non-tdi communities and maybe the tdi people have run out of money. lol.
I myself am biased toward alh tdis but you've got a good jetta there.

on another note, it's hard to think that your price is too steep, unless you started out much higher than the 4750 you show now.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Advertised locally for $4250. I'll keep it before taking less so we'll see what happens.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Haven't tried to hard to sell this lately. $4250? Would have loved this deal when I was looking several times.

Caseyjones

TDI
Still looking
Hey, I'm right here in the black hills looking for a TDI, what a coincidence, huh.

I'm looking for a manual, but your price and location right in my backyard deserve a look. I know it's a DSG and not a traditional auto. The convenience of location and price sure make it worth a look.

PM sent with my fancy pantsy 605 area code #

Last edited:

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Responded with my phone number via PM. Some people love the DSG, others don't. I wasn't a DSG fan until I used it a while - it's definitely different. I actually like it now. The DMF was replaced at 150K and it works well.

The original post explains pretty well where it is mechanically. I believe the price is more than fair considering all. It's 12 years old and the body is far from perfect but it's better than most the same age and still looks pretty good.

Caseyjones

TDI
Still looking
I bought an 08 GTI DSG right off the showroom floor with the autobahn package in gun metal gray. So sexy it was. I liked the 6mt more but the DSG was notably quicker ripping up the on ramp and that was the deciding factor.

I replied, I cant text from my landline here but home for the rest of the eve.

Last edited:

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Greetings, all.

About a year ago I decided to sell my Jetta (along with a couple other vehicles) as I'm tired of having so much 'stuff' and especially 'stuff' I'm not using. Last year about this time I listed it for sale - tons of lookers but not buyers. I haven't tried to sell it at all since last September so it's mostly sat. There's nothing wrong mechanically that I haven't addressed in previous posts with the exception of a battery drain problem that I noticed after not driving it regularly. After a lot of work I was able to determine that the radio was bad and the sunroof has a short - probably a bad module. I removed the radio (have another OEM unit that I haven't gotten around to installing) and pulled the sunroof fuse and no longer have the dead battery problem. The battery is an interstate battery (still under warranty) and tested good by Interstate.

The only other additional thing I noticed after driving the car is that the front brakes growl after it sits a while. It's not noticeable after you knock the rust off them but I suspect pads and rotors could use being replaced in the future.

So, in summary as it relates to mechanical needs, radio needs to be installed, probably needs a new sunroof module, and the front brakes may need some attention. Additionally, it has the typical EGR cooler gasket leak so many of these have that I've never looked into fixing much as I planned on deleting the EGR back when I was going to chip it. The CEL code that relates to that problem comes and goes.

I'm thinking of putting it back on craigslist but would rather sell it to someone I know knows about TDIs. I'm going to give a few days here at $3000. Frankly, it seems like a very cheap price to me but I thought it was a good deal at $4250, all considered. I need fewer things in my life and garage!

I've done my best to represent it accurately but would be happy to answer any all questions to the best of my ability. Delivery in the Midwest or a partial meet-up point (for a very reasonable amount) isn't out of the question.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I really can't believe the lack of interest for so many reasons. It's, apparently, a far different TDI market than when I was looking for the last couple decades.

Hello, Craigslist...I guess. Hello, tirekickers.