FS: 2006 Jetta TDI in NW VA

vajetta

TDI
'06 Jetta, '15 Golf
Full disclosure: I love this car. I love this car more than any car I've ever owned. I bought it new, with 216 miles on the odometer in September of 2005. It's time to move on, though and I'll tell you why in a bit. It's beige with a black interior and it has 304,xxx miles on it. I'm looking for $2,000.
  • First, the good news:
  • Regular oil/filter changes with the official VW oil.
  • Highway car. I drove it round trip about 90 miles a day. I live three miles off the Interstate and my office is two miles off the Interstate. All those other miles were on the highway.
  • In very good shape for its age.
  • Non-smoker.
  • No one's ever sat in the backseat.
  • No rust.
  • Seats are intact. No tears or rips.
  • Monster Mats all around, including the trunk.
  • AC
  • Leather seats.
  • 6 CD player Great radio
  • 5 speed manual transmission.
  • New turbo, DMF and clutch at 265,000 miles.
  • 60,000 mile tires were new at 270,000. With all my highway miles I could generally get one-third more miles than the rating.
  • Great fun to drive, unlike the newer Jettas and the Golf I replaced it with.
Next, the opportunities for the next owner:
  • At the very least, the injectors need to be cleaned, maybe replaced.That's my diagnosis, not my mechanic's. There is a little smoke at ignition. Might be the injector seals leaking. It'll start, but it doesn't develop much power. I tried to sell it on eBay and the high bidder reneged on his bit. I sent a video to another potential buyer and he said it sounded like the camshaft needed to be replaced, so maybe it's not the injectors.
  • The check engine light is on. If you're not going far or are in no hurry to get home, you could probably drive it. If not, you might consider trailering or towing.
  • It starts right up, but it shakes like a moonshiner in church.
  • Due for a TB/WP change.
  • EGR system needs work.
  • Headliner droops. Held in place with upholstery pins. VW refused to replace it. Same with the bubbling radio buttons.
  • Trunk lid doesn't like to work in cool/cold weather. My mechanic called it a "lazy solenoid."
  • One headlight has a cataract.
  • AC/heat switch works only on the highest setting
  • A few scratches and rubs on the body, nothing major
  • Wheels have curb scratches
[/LIST]
The thing is, there is nothing wrong with this car that a TDI guy or gal couldn't fix with relative ease. If I had the knowledge and the equipment, I'd do it myself and I'd have the EGR deleted. I couldn't find anybody around here to do it. Fix those few things and you'd have a great, inexpensive car for commuting or just for fun. You wouldn't mind getting 40+ miles per gallon, either, I suspect. This car is also the safest in its class. Fix it up and it would be good for for a son or daughter. I can vouch for its safety. I rear-ended an undercover state trooper in it. Caused a ton of damage to his car, very little to mine. "Safest in its class," I said to him, nervously. "You didn't have to prove it," he replied.
I've been an observer/member of this site since I bought the car and I've learned a ton - just not quite enough to do all this myself. :)
Interested? PM me, but you can call, too. Phone is 540.955.four eight four nine. I have photos I can send.
Thanks.