Diesel #2 In Chicagoland Area

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Diesel #2 List In Chicagoland Area 2016

Hi all,

I've been looking for diesel #2 in the area and I am having trouble finding anything without the "biodiesel 5-20 %" sticker. The only thing I have found is that Meijer has diesel #2. I was looking at this post for information, but it is very outdated: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849

If anyone knows where diesel #2 is post it up with the location and any info you know about it. I will update the list with new information people post.

________

I'll start with my Meijer station:

Meijer (Bloomingdale)

Fuel:
Diesel #2
43-45 Cetane Rating (verified by customer support)

Bloomingdale, Il 60108

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
understood, but that is the best resource here on tdiclub. you could try reviving the thread and ask members to update any known changes.

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I hear ya. I just thought it might be easier to start a new thread on it because there are a lot of gas stations on that list that are now bio and it would take someone going to each one to figure out whether it is bio now.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Y avoid biodiesel? At 20% or less its great for your car. Now ideally i like between 2%-5% it yields best mileage. But bio is the best cetane booster and the best lubricity additive you can get. I wish my car had a 5 gallon B100 tank that it would automatically inject at a 2% ratio.

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I don't know if it is just my car, but in these colder winter months my car starts all rough on whatever biodiesel I am getting, which of course is anywhere from 5-20 percent. That's another thing that makes me skeptical about using bio here is if they can't even tell me what percentage biodiesel I am getting it tells me there is a lack of standards for producing biodiesel or it is not regulated that heavily.

Also the "this is not a BP product" stickers are sketchy as well.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I hear ya. I just thought it might be easier to start a new thread on it because there are a lot of gas stations on that list that are now bio and it would take someone going to each one to figure out whether it is bio now.
you could start a "2.0" thread in the midwest section, just let everyone know why.

also, the fuel is most likely b11, the credit is for anything above b10. B11 is what makes the most sense from a refiners standpoint, no reason to make it more concentrated.

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I would think that If they made the fuel, they would know what % bio it is and they wouldn't have to put a disclaimer sticker on the pump that says "5-20% biodiesel. This is not a BP product" unless they (the refiners) are just farmers who buy the equipment and make the biodiesel without being subject to any regulation and then sell it to distributors who take all the bio they get from all the farmers, mix it together and call it 5-20% because they don't know what it is.

Also yeah, I like the idea of moving the thread. I didn't think about making it there.

Edit: how do I move a thread?

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Honestly don't waste your time. There are so few D2 stations left in IL that the thread just can't be sustained. I finally gave in and switched to B11 as I got tired of driving out of my way to pay near 70 cents more per gallon. Right now with recent price drops - gassbuddy shows between 60 cents to 99 cents premium for my two local D2 sources.

Also my receipts say B11. All the labeling is in a range to allow for future changes. IL is b11 so it's b11. It's all coming from the same place, so if the station has good turnover then it's quality is fine.

And it's not home brew. It comes from major sources.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I use Bio year round. I also use Opti Lube winter at 3 ounces a tank. Get your fuel from high turnover locations and use a anti gel. If your still having issues maybe the car has another issue.

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Maybe I'll just have to cave in and use bio. The Meijer I go to isn't that far away, but the BP here in Roselle is just down the block and it was the gas station I always went to before I got a diesel.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I don't know. Meijer's is good quality and always seems to be at a reasonable price. If I had one in close to my route, I'd do it. My normal D2 source caters to trucks so competitive pricing isn't in their business plan.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
The Petro Truck stop in my area has non-bio D2, I always fill up there. It may be a bit too far of a drive for you though.

Rochelle, IL near the intersection of Rt 38 and I-39.

cakins

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG/BRM
I thought they took the Bio out of winter blends?

Station at Plank and Burlington Rd. (in Burlington/Hampshire) has a sign advertising "no bio," but they charge a big premium.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Y avoid biodiesel? At 20% or less its great for your car.
From the model year listed in OP's sidebar, he has a CR. The rotary pump TDIs were somewhat tolerant of bio (most common bio-induced failure mode was seal swelling, which took YEARS to develop). High bio is not recommended for PD (like yours) due to higher pressures/temperatures in the injector nozzles, resulting in fuel breakdown and buildup of deposits. CR is even less tolerant. I've heard various reports (5% to 10%) as a maximum allowable bio content in CRs, except in states which mandate a 20% content - VW allows 20% in those states.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Hi all,
I've been looking for diesel #2 in the area and I am having trouble finding anything without the "biodiesel 5-20 %" sticker. The only thing I have found is that Meijer has diesel #2. I was looking at this post for information, but it is very outdated: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=237849
If anyone knows where diesel #2 is post it up with the location and any info you know about it. I will update the list with new information people post.
________
I'll start with my Meijer station:
Meijer (Bloomingdale)
Fuel:
Diesel #2
43-45 Cetane Rating (verified by customer support)
Bloomingdale, Il 60108
Every station I know of down here in Central IL (for people in the Chicago area, that translates as "everything south of the Homewood Metra stop", just before the legend on the map "here be dragons") has 5-20% on the pumps. How much is actually coming out at a given station? ¿Quien sabe? I fuel up locally at a Thornton's, and the car has always run fine.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
From the model year listed in OP's sidebar, he has a CR. The rotary pump TDIs were somewhat tolerant of bio (most common bio-induced failure mode was seal swelling, which took YEARS to develop). High bio is not recommended for PD (like yours) due to higher pressures/temperatures in the injector nozzles, resulting in fuel breakdown and buildup of deposits. CR is even less tolerant. I've heard various reports (5% to 10%) as a maximum allowable bio content in CRs, except in states which mandate a 20% content - VW allows 20% in those states.

Ive got a 100k miles on b5 to b20. I go out of my way to find bio, others go out of their eay to find straight D2. Ironic

bornloopy

TDI
2014 audi a6 3.0 TDI prestige
Just moved to Chicago...disappointed to find the scarcity of D2 in the area. From my internet search, it seems Ernie's in Vernon Hills definitely has D2. Is it still true in 2018 that all Meijer locations are D2 as well?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Are you talking just D2 or D2 with no bio component in it? You really want some small percentage of bio in it. 20% or less is okay to use. VW says 5% IIRC but anything up to 20% works fine. I can't remember is Il is the exception where up to 20% is okay or not.