Dealer uses Mobil 1 for TDI 5K oil change

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Just called Wilkins to have them change the oil. And they said they use Mobil 1 Synthetic. Whats up with that? Why wouldn't they just use Delvac?
I asked -- they said -- huh? Del-what?
I'll just have to bring in my own.
Any one ever have an oil change at Wilkins?

Brett

M

mickey

Explain to them that Mobil 1 does not meet any of the applicable manufacturer's standards for a TDI oil. You should NOT use the stuff in your engine. If they hassle you, talk to VWoA about them.

-mickey

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by indigoTDI:
Just called Wilkins to have them change the oil. And they said they use Mobil 1 Synthetic. Whats up with that? Why wouldn't they just use Delvac?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">VW dealers are supposed to use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 for TDI engines.

Most grades of Mobil 1 do not meet the API or ACEA specs that VW asks for. 5W-30 does not; 0W-40 may meet ACEA B3 or B4, but is not one of the two recommended viscosities (5W-40 or 5W-30) in the owner's manual. Mobil Delvac 1 comes in 5W-40 with API CH-4, meeting the specs better than Mobil 1.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've used the "improper" viscoscity Mobil1 in both my Passat TDI. 372,000 miles between the two of them. Bear in mind that both of my engines are earlier 1Z engines, both use(d) bypass filtration, and both are on 60,000 mile crankcase drain intervals based on analysis of my oil. The issue raised in a prior post was the viscoscity range, not the soot carrying capacity. Delvac and Delvac1 both have superior soot capacity to Mobil1. If you use Mobil1 change it no less frequently than the manual recommends. The extended life of synthetic oil in a gasoline powered car is negated by the high compression diesel blow-by. If you choose Mobil's diesel specific oil make certain that it is the synthetic Delvac1 and not petroleum based Delvac.

M

mickey

No doubt your cams are ground away to nubbins, since Mobil 1 doesn't meet 505.00 viscosity standards!
It's quite a bit thinner than Series 3000.

How about it, Jon? Are your cams still alive?

-mickey

karlkoenig

Veteran Member
Woah.... I went to Willkins and they put Mobil 1 in my engine at the 5K service interval. Is this going to be a problem?

Where can I get Delvac in the twin cities?

KK

M

mickey

I wouldn't panic. But don't continue to use Mobil 1. It's too thin. But for the viscosity problem it would be perfectly acceptable, provided you change it more frequently than you would change Delvac 1, for example.

At your 10K service, bring your own oil. As for a Delvac 1 source, just hit the yellow pages and look for "Lubricants: Distributors" (Or whatever.) Find a Mobil products distributor, and buy case lots from their warehouse. That's a whole lot cheaper than trying to find a retail source. In general, you're doing well if you get Delvac 1 for under $20 a gallon.

-mickey

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
In Minneapolis you can get Delvac at:

Lubrication Technologies
900 Mendelssohn Ave N
Golden Valley, MN 55427 800-328-5573 Fax 763-545-9256
(The actual place you get the oil is in Roseville!!)

W A Egan
500 Industry Ave NW
Anoka, MN 55303 612-421-0410 Fax 612-421-2658

I am going to buy Delvac at Ziegler Caterpiller in Saint Cloud as I drive buy the place. Caterpiller private labels Delvac.....

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
If you can't find Delvac 1 there is 0w-40 Mobil 1 "European Car Formula". It is ACEA B3/B4-02 approved which meets one of the basic requirements for TDi's. It is only API CF rated so with our wonderfull dino-dung diesel you'd want to change it every 5k miles to be on the safe side.

But you'd be ahead economically to find Chevron Delo Synthetic 5w-40 (which CH-4 rated) if you don't plan on going over 10k mile oil changes. It is still $14.50 gallon the last time I checked. (that's cheaper than Mobil 1 0w-40 per quart) Every Chevron products distributor around here (Seattle area) carries it but not in great quantities. It doesn't sell very well I'm told. Most commercial truck companies still use the regular 15w-40 Delo which is not synthetic.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Originally posted by mickey:
No doubt your cams are ground away to nubbins, How about it, Jon? Are your cams still alive?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, the miracle of hydraulic adjusters! Even if worn there is no clattering telltale.
I had the cover off yesterday for better access to the intake manifold (biodiesel DOES keep them clean!). There was no visible scuffing, scoring, burnishing, whatever to prompt me to get out a set of micrometers. Besides, I don't know the original size nor the wear limit.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Jon,

According to data published by ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0w-30 easily meets the ACEA "B3" limits for cam and cylinder wear - in fact it performs about the same as their 0w-40. However, since the 0w-30 does not meet the minimum high temp/high shear viscosity of 3.5 Cp, they cannot label it an ACEA B3 oil.

I would strongly recommend looking for a 5w-30 or 5w-40, CH-4 rated synthetic for this application. I don't think the VW 505 or ACEA specs by themselves are demanding enough, given the quality of US diesel fuels ....All the CH-4 synthetics are holding up well with the 10k oil change intervals ....

TooSlick

www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics