www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 12th, 2017, 12:08   #16
slj333

New owner of a 2015 TDI S here in Minnesota and so far we have only had temps in 30 Fahrenheit range a couple of nights, but I was really impressed with how quickly the car started to warm up. I am not sure of the science behind it (electric heater or loop through the Head), but it was a great surprise.
Like the Original Poster, I did not want to shell out the extra $3k for the SEL model when all I wanted was heated seats.
slj333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 19:08   #17
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

A couple of posters mentioned an ID Parts winter front cover. I'm not seeing one available for Mk7. Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?

https://www.idparts.com/advanced_sea...s=winter+front

2016 GTI S 6M with Performance and Lighting Packages and a few mods
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 22:05   #18
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
I've read conflicting reports that would indicate not all Mk7's came with the electric heater. I know you can read the build number to confirm. Going by that, mine does not have it.
One way to check to see if your vehicle has the 1 KW cabin heater is to check your fuse box for an 80 amp fuse. If you have one, you have a 1 KW heater.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2009 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen, built 10/08, "Ruby" new on 24 DEC 08, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!

Last edited by Mike in Anchorage; October 12th, 2017 at 22:09.
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 23:20   #19
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
A couple of posters mentioned an ID Parts winter front cover. I'm not seeing one available for Mk7. Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?

Call and ask them.....simple no secret handshake needed
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:52   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
One way to check to see if your vehicle has the 1 KW cabin heater is to check your fuse box for an 80 amp fuse. If you have one, you have a 1 KW heater.

That and you can usually hear the relay clicking on and off if you're at idle and coolant is cold.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:18   #21
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Calling vendors is so 1995.

Old October 15th, 2017, 08:33   #22
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I actually believe IDParts is pretty active in here and they have a stop-sale car as well. I think IndigoBlueWagon is closely affiliated. 🙂

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:52   #23
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Be aware that since your state requires a front plate to be visible, many of the front covers would conceal your plate. You'd have to find another way to attach it. Good luck.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2009 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen, built 10/08, "Ruby" new on 24 DEC 08, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 13:38   #24
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Be aware that since your state requires a front plate to be visible, many of the front covers would conceal your plate. You'd have to find another way to attach it. Good luck.
Luckily mine doesn't. Now I just need ID Parts to make one.

Old October 15th, 2017, 18:54   #25
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

Quote:
According to this it's two 40A fuses. I checked my car an I have two that don't seem to be found on Mk7 fuse box photos via a google search.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0...VNQkhtdUU/edit

So, it looks like it's still included.

Last edited by The Tortoise; October 15th, 2017 at 19:48.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:55   #26
clacker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.5L/100km auto, 4L/100kms manual

If you really want heat in the winter do what the truckers do and install a Webasto coolant heater or cabin heater (Espar makes them too). They will keep the coolant hot and burn very little fuel doing it or blow hot air into the interior depending on which model you choose, I prefer hot coolant easier engine starts. They are worth the investment if you keep your car.
A heated steering wheel is the only thing VW is behind the times on, Audi and Mercedes have had them since the early 2000s. It is really nice, especially if you work outside.
2006 smart fortwo cdi real fuel economy!
many Mercedes and VW/Audi diesel projects
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:53   #27
slj333

I'm wondering if many of the northern climate MK7 drivers have felt the need to go with winter tires? I'm planning on trying first with the new all seasons that came with my Sportwagen to see if I need to put them on.
slj333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:05   #28
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

I have purchased a Webasto coolant heater for my car. It is the optional auxiliary heater that cold climates and countries get. It mounts in the right front fenderwell and hooks into the cooling system. I won't have the remote control option, but I plan on a timer instead. I may be able to turn it on as I am walking the dog and have a warm car by the time I am ready to go to work.
I have studless Hakkapeliitta tires mounted on rims and run them as soon as the snow flies. I got by all winter on them last year, but if the snow gets really bad and deep, I drive the S6 on Michellin Alpins.
pdq import repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:07   #29
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Calling vendors is so 1995.
Send them a fax then

Last edited by 740GLE; October 16th, 2017 at 08:09.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:31   #30
clacker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.5L/100km auto, 4L/100kms manual

pdq did you get the factory developped Webasto that can be controled through the car? Or a stand alone one? I see in most of the world "parking heaters" are available and factory supported through the car electronics and wondering which way you went?
I have several Espar units that removed from Sprinters in the u pull yard, they were all factory units so not sure about the electronics working with a simple on off switch have not gotten that far yet..still waiting to take delivery of our new 2015 sportwagen tdi this whole process is killing us it is so slow (ricepoint and trading in our 2014).

Winter tires are a must in my world, you want whatever power put out to do something and not just spin. Good winters make a world of difference, they don't have to be squishy and soft, Nokian makes great snows that are extra load and handle very well but do consume a bit more fuel. Michelins consume the least but few sizes are extra load and they handle horrible, soft and no steering feel. Cheap winter tires offer very little over a good all season, best to get a top rated snow tire and enjoy it versus one that is a comromise and wears funny or is loud.
2006 smart fortwo cdi real fuel economy!
many Mercedes and VW/Audi diesel projects
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote