www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:30   #16
Smokin_Joe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surrey BC
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
Wondering if the dude is an insurance agent. Sheesh. Talk about a fear monger. The data clearly shows that the vast majority of the HPFP failures occur in the first 50 to 60 k miles of usage. Still no valid reason why that occurs, but if your car is running fine and you have not had HPFP problems, it is decreasingly likely to happen. Best wishes on your decision.
Insurance agent....lol
That's Funny
So is data.
VW said misfueling causes the cp4 to fail yet 5 years of testing by the NHTSA found no proof that misfueling would cause a cp4 failure.
Volkswagen lied...
Wait till you are standing there being told that you missfueled your car...over and over and over....and being told that warranty won't cover it.
I wouldn't stand for it....a 20 minute conversation with the regional rep changed the whole picture real fast.

The one that kept saying we missfueled our car was warned by the manager not to talk to us. Last time I saw him, he wasn't talking to the customers much anymore...

They treat us much better now. Top notch service.

We took time with our decision and had done our research long ago.
We decided the buyback was a way out.

Mike if your advice is to gamble on a $10,000 repair bill, to someone who admits they are not a mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kVox42 View Post
someone like myself - who is not a mechanic)
and make light of those that are giving proper and well advised warnings
Shame on you Mike

SMH*** Mike in Anchorage***SMH

kVox42 if you read Mike's post you will find a few things that should act as a warning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
Wondering if the dude is an insurance agent. Sheesh. Talk about a fear monger. The data clearly shows that the vast majority of the HPFP failures occur in the first 50 to 60 k miles of usage. Still no valid reason why that occurs, but if your car is running fine and you have not had HPFP problems, it is decreasingly likely to happen. Best wishes on your decision.
{Mike's info seems to contradict itself.....IMO}
Data can show lots of things if you manipulate it right.
I never found any data that justifies a $10,000 repair bill to fix a failed HPFP....
The VW company made lift pumps with the wrong steel, when the rods rust they plug the filter and starve the cp4...leading to failure.
{Dweisel has a kit to change the rods to stainless,which they should have been in the first place}
The stock filtration system is a bad design. 2micron's kit take a sudden cp4 failure and turn it into a long drawn out affair lasting weeks, not seconds..
Truth is, the cp4 is a bad design. The stock cp4 can self destruct, it tries to do the job of raising fuel pressure from approx 80 psi to over 25,000psi. My cp3 uses 3 pistons and can raise fuel from 0 to way over 27,000psi. The cp4 uses 1.
When the Fass, on my 03 Dodge, went out, I didn't even know it.
Ran perfect for days...
Thought the fuel pressure sender died......too funny...great pump
We almost installed one on our 2011 Tdi...then VW gave us a way out.
Thank you VW.
Good luck KVox42, try and make the right decision.
__________________
Joe
(These are my opinions based on my experiences, I have more than enough tools to be dangerous and enough age to forget how to use em..lol)
From Canada eh!

Last edited by Smokin_Joe; October 9th, 2017 at 02:42.
Smokin_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 23:19   #17
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member
 
Mike in Anchorage's Avatar
Default

My first CR TDI was an 09, built in Oct 08. The warnings, hand wringing, etc, got to be so intense I stopped reading many of the threads. FWIW, unless you go to the dealer, a bill for repair of HPFP failure is now FAR less than $10k.

2 is a great company and I admire what he's done with the information and how well his product works. Sure, go for it.
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 23:40   #18
B-Spec
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vegas
Default

Had my 2013 Golf and my 2015 Jetta fixed and they are both running the same as they did before. Notice no changes at all. I drive 2 to 3 hundred miles a day sometimes and my mileage nor power has changed at all.. I noticed nothing with the noise levels either. Very glad I kept them because there is no car made that can replace the mileage and the comfort for anywhere near the price..
B-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 14:26   #19
jcranch.530
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: PORUM OKLAHOMA
Default tdi emissions fix

Hi I'm new here I have a 2009 TDI Jetta I had to fix the emissions fix done on my car approximately 5 weeks ago since then I've had the car a total of 11 days the rest of the time the rest of the time my car has been held up by the dealer for codes that have popped up due to the emissions fix problems anyone that is looking to have this done I'm suggesting you don't at this time due to EGR problems and intake problems exhaust problems and the list keeps climbing right now if anybody knows about how to deal with this that would be great the dealer and Volkswagen both are giving me problems with loaner cars and telling me that not everything is covered under the warranty that is stated in the warranty to be covered
jcranch.530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 01:35   #20
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member
 
Mike in Anchorage's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcranch.530 View Post
Hi I'm new here I have a 2009 TDI Jetta I had to fix the emissions fix done on my car approximately 5 weeks ago since then I've had the car a total of 11 days the rest of the time the rest of the time my car has been held up by the dealer for codes that have popped up due to the emissions fix problems anyone that is looking to have this done I'm suggesting you don't at this time due to EGR problems and intake problems exhaust problems and the list keeps climbing right now if anybody knows about how to deal with this that would be great the dealer and Volkswagen both are giving me problems with loaner cars and telling me that not everything is covered under the warranty that is stated in the warranty to be covered
Sorry to hear of the mess. The 09s are the oldest and require the most revisions to effect compliance. I hope they get it figured out soon so you can have your car to drive.
__________________
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 17:53   #21
GoFaster
Moderator at Large
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcranch.530 View Post
Hi I'm new here I have a 2009 TDI Jetta I had to fix the emissions fix done on my car approximately 5 weeks ago since then I've had the car a total of 11 days the rest of the time the rest of the time my car has been held up by the dealer for codes that have popped up due to the emissions fix problems anyone that is looking to have this done I'm suggesting you don't at this time due to EGR problems and intake problems exhaust problems and the list keeps climbing right now if anybody knows about how to deal with this that would be great the dealer and Volkswagen both are giving me problems with loaner cars and telling me that not everything is covered under the warranty that is stated in the warranty to be covered
There is an escape clause if you have the "fix" done to your car which is somewhat reminiscent of a lemon-law ... you can revert to a buyback if the car has problems that they are not reasonably able to repair. I suggest you investigate this. Read all the documents that you were provided with, and read the EPA/CARB/VW consent decree. It's in there.
__________________
Brian P.
formerly ... 2006 Jetta TDI 5-sp, Spice Red, Unitronics stage 1, 0.681 5th gear.
and before that ... 1996 Passat TDI, Silk Blue
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:39   #22
lktango
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Shedd, Oregon
TDI(s): '13 JSW
Default Fix is in, still runs...

My '13 JSW got the emissions fix back in August. It seems to run just as well as before the fix but the mileage 'seems' to be down, just not sure how much.

In the first 44k miles, it averaged 37.1 mpg but 12,500 miles of that were two trips to Fairbanks from Oregon. It averaged 42.0 mpg on the first trip and 40.6 on the second. The only change between the two trips were the tires; when the OEM tires wore out I fitted it with Pirelli P7 All Season plus tires. Most of the time, the JSW is my daily, to work and back driver.

I'm keeping it and planning another trip to Fairbanks (and maybe Inuvik NWT) next Spring.
lktango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 15:43   #23
herkybc130
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Louisville
Fuel Economy: Last fill-up, 44.5 MPG
Default

Had the fix and recall performed on my 2012 Golf TDI; air bag, O2 sensor and emissions. The service advisor said I might hear a humming sound that comes from the new EGR installed as part of the emissions fix. Well, the humming sound is definitely there. Wasn't before. Doesn't seem to be a constant frequency either but slight variations in pitch. Am I imagining things?

UPDATE

After driving a few more miles, and trying to merge onto the highway, the engine and glow plug light came on with reduced power and I'm guessing what is the limp mode. Made it home, called and left a message for the service advisor. Back to the shop tomorrow.

Last edited by herkybc130; October 26th, 2017 at 19:04. Reason: Update
herkybc130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 13:14   #24
2004LB7
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 42/46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
^^ 30 seconds of searching could have cleared this up. States that took VW money can't deny registration for unfixed cars.
Knowing how many of our politicians work, It wouldn't surprise me to either pass a new law that undoes this or more likely, to make VW come up with a different emissions recall unrelated to this one. Some minor simple little thing that "needs" to be fixed but cant be done with the original emissions equipment. Therefore you have to get the "fix" but this will be after the deadline and no restitution payment.

Think about the EPA, CARB, and any other involved government agency and think about their motives, ethics and history. I wouldn't put it past them to come up with a reason to deny future registration. Laws are already in place in many states to do just this if they want
2004LB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 16:42   #25
flee
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Fuel Economy: 40-ish
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
Knowing how many of our politicians work, It wouldn't surprise me to either pass a new law that undoes this or more likely, to make VW come up with a different emissions recall unrelated to this one. Some minor simple little thing that "needs" to be fixed but cant be done with the original emissions equipment. Therefore you have to get the "fix" but this will be after the deadline and no restitution payment.
Think about the EPA, CARB, and any other involved government agency and think about their motives, ethics and history. I wouldn't put it past them to come up with a reason to deny future registration. Laws are already in place in many states to do just this if they want
The court ruling determines what happens, your bogeymen do not.
__________________
2002 Jetta GLS TDI wagon, 2012 Audi A3 TDI S-Line
flee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:02   #26
Smokin_Joe
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surrey BC
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkybc130 View Post
Had the fix and recall performed on my 2012 Golf TDI; air bag, O2 sensor and emissions. The service advisor said I might hear a humming sound that comes from the new EGR installed as part of the emissions fix. Well, the humming sound is definitely there. Wasn't before. Doesn't seem to be a constant frequency either but slight variations in pitch. Am I imagining things?

UPDATE

After driving a few more miles, and trying to merge onto the highway, the engine and glow plug light came on with reduced power and I'm guessing what is the limp mode. Made it home, called and left a message for the service advisor. Back to the shop tomorrow.
OhOh...I hope it isn't what I think it is...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...+Hpfp+failures
Good Luck
__________________
Joe
(These are my opinions based on my experiences, I have more than enough tools to be dangerous and enough age to forget how to use em..lol)
From Canada eh!
Smokin_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buyback Finally Set different car? Blackbug1 TDI 101 7 January 21st, 2017 12:54
Decision, decision, decision MarcSays TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 8 April 10th, 2007 20:27
Decision, Decision, or maybe not. 3rs VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 August 25th, 2005 00:49
Right decision??? Mitch K VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 6 January 5th, 2003 06:46
Help with Decision!!!! landrumdh TDI 101 6 June 16th, 2001 22:02


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.11558 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 113.86 Kb. compressed to 97.65 Kb. by saving 16.21 Kb. (14.24%)]