is vag com worth it

A4tdi110

is this worth me buying?
is it easy to use?
what do i need to use it? (software, manual etc)
how much is it?

sorry for all the questions.

i intend keeping my current TDi for another five years. then i will be going for the big bhp PD. will it work for this with upgrades etc.

thanks in advance.

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
I'll give it a try; the first tme you get a check engine code your looking at about $70.00 us just to find out what it is.

When your intake manifold clogs up and it needs to be cleaned your looking at about $400.00 for the dealer to clean, so the egr mod in the long run will save you that. Even if you do it yourself your looking at about $20.00 in shop supplies and 4 hours of work (how much is your time worth an hour?)

If you plan on keeping your vehicle for awhile, you will need to do a timing belt change. Your looking at $400.00 on a good day for the dealer, and they seem to have a hard time getting the timing spot on, another reason for vag-com. If you do it yourself, you will need vag com. Can also use for many other functions/option but trouble codes and timing checks, egr mods, will more than pay for it.

As far as manual, I'm having a tough time with that. Yes you will need one. Be aware that there are two types of paper manuals, one is the "Factory Service Manual" and that is the one you want if you decide on paper. The other is just a repair manual and is geared up more for the weekend mechanic/Mr. fix it. I have read here that the repair manual is short on all the fault codes and such (has some not as many as the factory service manual). Missing a few other things that perhaps someone with both manuals can elaborate.

The cd supposedly is very complete but some have complained about the difficulty of use while making repairs and such. I suppose you can print stuff up ahead of time, but chances are you will still need to reference an item or two from a different section while working on you car. I am opting for the paper factory service manual, if anybody has a good source of in stock, let me know.

Your pricing varies depending upon which product you choose. The base price is $199 for program and cable, see the vag-com website for more info.

Is it worth it? Yes, could it be a better price? Yes (I'm a cheapskate). I think they would sell more if they had a lower price, but remember, the software is only $99, and the data cable brings you to $199. You can make your own cable but then no support by vag com, and once again, how much is your time worth TIME IS MONEY!.

Is it easy to use? I am new with it and am learning very slowly. When provided info on steps of how to do it (like the egr mod in the faq) it is very easy. To try and figure out how to do something from scratch, it is tough. You can ask on this site and most of the time you will get helpful responses, sometimes people are having a bad day and give you grief for not knowing. I guess they forgot what it was like to be starting out. I am slowly learning and should probably let someone else answer that question. Hope this helps, Kevinski

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
if you fix your own car, this shouldnt be a question! you definitly need it. if you dont, than probably not.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
A different opinion on this topic from me (not that I disagree with what's posted above, I just take a different approach to it):

I do a lot of mods, but whenever I need to have any re-programming of the car done, I take the car to my dealer and have them do it for me with their super-snazzy VAG machine (looks like a large touch-screen computer on a rolling stand).

In the past 18 months, I have installed a multi function display, rear distance sensors (backup radar), headlight levellers, etc., all of which required re-programming (adaptation) of the car. In every case, my dealer has done the re-programming properly the first time around, and all of the major modifications I mentioned - none of them are North American options - only resulted in a one hour labour charge for programming.

For little programming modifications (changing the display of the clock to 24 hour time, making the doors unlock automatically when the engine is turned off and the key removed, etc.), I just write down what I want done and submit the list when the car goes in for scheduled service, and they do the work without any apparent additional charge. I think they have to hook up the VAG machine every time the car is in for service anyway, and the master technician told me most of these little tweaks only take 3 or 4 minutes to accomplish, assuming the technician has done it before and is familiar with the process.

My thinking is as follows: I take the car to the dealer for all service that it needs, and if I expect them to keep it properly maintained and functionning after I have installed a bunch of European options, then it is only reasonable that they know the history of programming modifications on the car. The easiest way for them to know the history is for them to do the changes themselves.

If I am installing some fancy part and I screw up the physical install, I can always take my time to re-do it or buy another part. But if I try to reprogram my car and I screw that up - I think it would be pretty hard to figure out what I did wrong. I remember all the sad tales of people having to wait 256 hours to re-code their immobilizer after screwing up a MFA install, and think back to the hour I spent in the showroom yakking to the dealership owner while the technicians installed and programmed my MFA and did it right the first time. Worth $70 to me for peace of mind, for sure.

Michael

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
The short answer is yes, if you plan to do much work on the car yourself. I plan to drive my TDI into the ground, so I considered it a must have for me.

I justified the initial cost based on my upcoming timing belt replacement. Dealer estimates $650 for the job. I did some searching on the forum, and found that all the special tools and OEM parts required to complete the job can be purchased for abour $300. I found a cheap laptop for $100, and the software+cable costs $200. So, for $600, I can do the first timing belt change myself with the awesome instructions on this forum for $50 less than the dealer. Not a great savings, but at least I know the job is done right. The real benefit comes from all subsequent timing belt changes, where I can do it myself for a mere $150 for parts.

Of course, that does not include the fringe benefit of being able to diagnose your own car and perform the EGR mod to save your intake manifold. Again this helps to justify the cost, and it is very simple to use. Ample instructions are contained in the forum and on the software manufacturer's webpage.

But remember, "He that cureth can also maketh ill", so follow any instructions for the software very carefully and you will reap the benefits without having any problems!

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
I take the car to the dealer for all service that it needs, and if I expect them to keep it properly maintained
Just how many dealers are able to do this. If you have been around very long you know that many dealers are not able to do anything correctly. I had a gentleman in the other day that I set his timing because the dealer did a timing belt and never set it. It was almost zero. Or the people that go into the dealer because their TDI is not performing like it should and the can't seem to figure out the MAF is bad.

I suggest that if you are going to be doing your own work that it will be the best money you ever spent on a tool. When you do things yourself you know how it was done an you don't have to worry about it. Even if you do mess it up you can do it over and still save a little money and you have gained the experience.

Greg

A4tdi110

has anyone any idea where i can locate the vag-com website.
thanks for the replies, it looks like a 'yes'.

just another quickie.
my car has covered over 100,000 miles, i have only had it three months and fortunately it has a full vag service history. i noticed the EGR pipe between the two manifolds is new, would this mean the thing has been cleaned out/replaced?
thanks again.

MIA

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 09 JSW
www.ross-tech.com also look in the for sale section, you can get a cable for less than the $100 in the package deal. If you don't have a laptop with serial cable than you can opt for one of Vagcom's newer interfaces.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
i noticed the EGR pipe between the two manifolds is new, would this mean the thing has been cleaned out/replaced?
Probably replaced. The stealerships seem a lot more interested in spending the customer's money rather than their own time and labor,so aren't much interested in "cleaning" anything.