Timing Belt Replacement- Is it as scary as I hear?

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
Hey guys,
I usually do more work on my motorcycle than I do my cars, but when the tech told me that it would be a grand for them to replace my belt on my 2010 Jetta TDI, I began considering the possibility of replacing it myself.

I am likely about to be selling the vehicle. However, no one will likely be willing to pay what I need for it (After being ripped off by the dealership I got it from...long story) without a fresh belt in it.

The video I have seen looks like you lock the engine off in 3 places, then loosen the tension on the belt and replace what you need to replace. It seems simple enough, but some of these articles I have been reading makes it sounds much worse than that? I do intend to buy a full replacement kit and tool kit to do the work. There are no intentions on skimping on tool or improvising anything.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this topic? Thanks in advance for any contributions.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I did my own and didn't find it too much different from others I've done on my old diesel Rabbit, a Nissan or Chevy Cruze that I've also done. With the proper tooling you eliminate the possibility of damage or getting the timing off. I would make sure you have a decent manual like a Bentley and having access to a VCDS would be beneficial to check and set your torsion value after. I purchased my tools from metal nerd and parts from ID parts.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I have now done timing belt replacements on my 2006 BRM Jetta twice, once in 2012 and another this year. The first time, I misunderstood the Bentley directions and needlessly removed an engine mount to do so, but the second time, by reviewing my former notes and paying attention to the procedures available online, it was simpler. Inasmuch as I seldom do extensive engine repair work, I created my own document as a checklist to insure I fully understood what I was doing and that I had a process to double check myself that I was actually doing it correctly. Since the car is now running flawlessly, I believe this was a good process for me. I also practiced what some call chunking, which is breaking the job into specific, smaller segments, in between which I rested or did completely different unrelated things, after which I would review the completed task to double check critical aspects like torque settings.

I do recommend doing one other thing that I found very helpful. I put yellow paint marks on both the belt and the sprockets. I then matched the number of teeth and painted similar marks on the new belt so I could insure the replacement belt was installed identically.

Everything mechanical that I do probably takes me much longer than many of the much more experienced members of this group, but I greatly enjoy driving this car and to me it is worth the effort.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
It's not that bad.
I bought the little cam holder tool kit from Metalnerd... I think...

Anyways, plan an afternoon around it. Do all the recommended "while you are in there" things too, like the waterpump, belt tensioner, alternator pulley, and the Serpentine Belt.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would not use the Mark and Pray method (paint marks) mentioned earlier to verify timing because it is prone to error and impossible to get the timing within spec and then your are forced to use VCDS to set torsion. This is because that part of the procedure requires the 3 camshaft sprocket bolts to be loosened allowing the camshaft sprocket to turn independently of the cam when you set belt tension.

Use the timing tools and the correct procedure and you will know with 100% certainty the timing is correct before you turn the key, where as with the paint mark method there is no way to verify you got the timing correct until you start the engine which means if you got something wrong, you could cause serious damage to the engine.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/cbea-cjaa-vw-jetta-golf-jsw-tdi-timing-belt-removal-part-1/

For timing tools, you don't need the complete set, all you need is the crank tool and a letter "A" size drill bit for the cam tool. Also you won't really need VCDS to set Torsion if you use the crank and cam tools and perform the procedure as it is intended to be done by the engineers.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My bad. The CR does have a HPFP for one. Are the timing tools the same? That was my assumption, anyway.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I used paint marks on the belt and sprockets in addition to the required Metalnerd tools as a comforting additional verification that the tight side of the belt was indeed tight.

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
Munich Auto INC.

Hi guys, I have a timing belt job scheduled for tomorrow. Can anyone comment on the above shop. Never dealt with them before and they quoted me $700 plus HST for the entire kit which includes belt water pump and all.

Thank you

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I did the timing belt on my '10 jetta 3 years ago. Much easier than some make it out to be. member greengeeker has a very good how-to description that includes torques. I also had the myturbodiesel instructions and a Bentley manual. all 3 matched on torque numbers, but you have to flip all over in the Bentley manual to find all the number you need.

I had to go back later to replace the 4 bolts on the crank pulley (they call it a dampner). the torque value is that like a one time use only bolt but at the time didn't call out to change it. I did anyway and now some of the kits include those bolts.

I made a thread on my replacement. not a step by step how to but just a couple little notes on questions before and things I noticed afterward. You should not have too much difficulty if you work on your own cycles. you do need the triple square tips in case you don't have them already.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
I usually do more work on my motorcycle than I do my cars, but when the tech told me that it would be a grand for them to replace my belt on my 2010 Jetta TDI, I began considering the possibility of replacing it myself.

I am likely about to be selling the vehicle. However, no one will likely be willing to pay what I need for it (After being ripped off by the dealership I got it from...long story) without a fresh belt in it.

The video I have seen looks like you lock the engine off in 3 places, then loosen the tension on the belt and replace what you need to replace. It seems simple enough, but some of these articles I have been reading makes it sounds much worse than that? I do intend to buy a full replacement kit and tool kit to do the work. There are no intentions on skimping on tool or improvising anything.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding this topic? Thanks in advance for any contributions.

I have all the timing belt tools that I could sell to you if your interested.
I have dumped my car and don't need them anymore. PM me if you would like a good deal on them.

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
Thank you all for the comments. At this time, I believe I will be having Paramedick do the replacement due to time and the fact that he is offering fairly reasonable prices.