Afn to ahf swap

Ferdrever

TDI
VW passat 1999 syncro 1.9 tdi AFN
Hello! Don't know if this is the right place, but here goes..

Got a vw passat b5 syncro 1999 with a AFN engine mounted longitudinal, a workshop did a headgasket repair about a year ago (high preassure in cooling system) now, a year later, I am loosing coolant, not alot when driving nice, but if I increase the rpm to over 2500 it will decrease significantly faster. They agreed to redo the job, but wound'nt if it happened again, because they say my block isn't straight. Anyway... I've got my hands on a AHF engine just in case, but it was mounted transverse. So far the problem I've encountered is the intake, it's facing the other way, no problem, just use the intake from my stock engine, right? But how about engine mounts? Can I just take parts from the AFN, and they will bolt on to the AHF?

So the issue is, I have to mount it longitudinal, will I be able to without to much fabrication?

Thanks in advance.
-Ferd

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Never seen an AHFengine in a passat before, but it could be doable. engine mountings may fit, but sump (and oil pick up pipe) would need to be B5 or B5.5 passat PD items
as your original sump definitely will not fit. Of course the wiring would also need

sorting out as certain plugs are different (i.e Injector pump is a 10 pin plug).

But good luck if you go ahead with it.

Ferdrever

TDI
VW passat 1999 syncro 1.9 tdi AFN
Thanks for the reply, and I apologize for not returning faster. PD items aren't a problem, got a scrap one laying around.
Started to tear the AHF apart, since my old motor still has some life in it when the workshop isfinished...

Notised some damage? To piston #1, guessing it has to be replaced. Thoughts?
It also was full of oil when i removed the head, could oil have went in when i removed the head?

Last edited: