www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old May 1st, 2017, 18:05   #1
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving
Default MK7 Brake Upgrade

Looking into upgrading brakes on my MK7 Golf and have my eyes set on GTI brakes that come standard with the performance package. In my searching, it appears that only the caliper carriers need to be acquired in order to fit the standard GTI rotors as they use the same caliper as the Golf. In going one step further, it looks as though the carriers from the PP GTI will also work with the difference only being that the PP uses a 60mm piston vs 57mm. My question is, how big of a difference will it make to use the standard 57mm piston calipers on my Golf on a larger 340mm rotor with larger pad where a 60mm piston is used with the PP? This would be far cheaper than going with other big brake kits available out there!

Appreciate any input or feedback!

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:34   #2
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

What makes you think you need to upgrade the brakes? Have they gotten that bad since the A5's? My brakes are fantastic, of course I do something many find silly as in not coasting in neutral downhill and up to stops.

Unless your car has really crappy brakes, tires can have a profound effect on braking. I always go with the 40K better traction tires.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 16:34   #3
adjat84th
Veteran Member

A buddy of mine puts it in neutral every time he goes to slow down, drives me crazy. I tell him he's killing his fuel economy and his brakes at the same time!
The brakes are fantastic on the MK7 Golf, just want a bit more to fill the wheel up and also will be doing a few autocross events in the future, so this won't hurt.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
Old May 3rd, 2017, 15:11   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Doing a bit of racing could be a good reason for upgrading the brakes. My inclination would be to go with some stickier tires first and then upgrade the brakes when the factory brakes/tires are worn out or are not really working out for your racing use.

Something else to consider as well is what size brakes are on the rear of the GTI and will bigger rotors rub on the inside of your factory wheels?

You can blame Drivers Ed for the decline of the manual transmission. I remember how relieved I was as a young whelp that I didn't have to learn the finer points of driving because all the Drivers Ed cars had automatics.

Just part of the dumbing down of America. Yup. Stupid is the new smart. Your pal is a victim of this............
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; May 3rd, 2017 at 15:30.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 15:40   #5
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Yes, factory wheels on the GTI are 18" and I just switched out my factory 18"s for lighter weight 18"s. Saved five pounds of rotational mass which should be noticeable in the fuel economy. There won't be any fitment issues. My only concern was the use of my stock 57mm pistoned calipers where the GTI w/ PP uses a 60mm piston to push the larger pad onto the larger rotor. I am thinking I'll be ok, but wanted to ask here first before getting just the carriers all around.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 16:29   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I think it should work fine. You'll obviously be getting some of that rotational mass back with the heavier rotors- drilled/slotted ones might not be much heavier.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:24   #7
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Turns out the GTI w/ PP rotors are 5mm (25 vs 30) and 10mm thicker (10 vs 20) front and rear respectively. I think that may not work with the TDI's stock calipers unless there's that much travel in the piston to allow that large of a variance especially in the rear?

Old May 5th, 2017, 09:11   #8
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

the master cylinder isn't made for the larger piston calipers on the performance pack.

Best bet is the 312mm brake upgrade with better pads.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:17   #9
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
the master cylinder isn't made for the larger piston calipers on the performance pack.

Best bet is the 312mm brake upgrade with better pads.
Correct, the thought was to use only the carriers with the stock calipers because switching the calipers costs quite a bit more, plus you'd have to swap master cylinders as well. But yes, looking like the standard GTI brakes are the only way to go cheaply.

Old May 5th, 2017, 12:48   #10
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

If you must spend money, spend on a proper upgrade not cupra-golf R setup, those are little better than what you have but far away from BBK

Best bang for your $ will be the Z18 caliper upgrade + light 340mm discs
18" wheels of course.

this is my setup, but will upgrade to bigger and lighter discs after the tune

Old May 5th, 2017, 20:20   #11
adjat84th
Veteran Member

^Very nice! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not in a rush, so this could make the cut.

Old May 8th, 2017, 08:42   #12
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
^Very nice! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not in a rush, so this could make the cut.

Those calipers, depending on what wheels you have, may not clear the caliper, so you would need spacers.

Just something to take into account
Old May 8th, 2017, 16:54   #13
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Correct, been doing quite a bit of researching and I believe my new wheels have a bit more room on them with the design of the spokes, but could just run some spacers if needed.
Wondering if the 18Z or 17Z will not affect pedal feel with the stock master cylinder. That would be my biggest concern. Found a great resource for purchasing from a place called Rotorlab that suggests the 18Z may affect pedal feel, so I'm contacting them to see if they have experience with the MK7s.

Old May 9th, 2017, 15:38   #14
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 360hp

For sure it will affect pedal travel, little bit longer but braking is so strong
You can upgrade to 25.4mm master cylinder to have a better pedal feel.
I will do this but its not a priority now.
Old May 9th, 2017, 21:36   #15
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Which vehicle are you looking to upgrade?

My best suggestion and like others have mentioned is to put the best tires possible on the car to improve your braking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZltSorr9W0

The next thing to do after upgrading to a better set of tires, is going with aftermarket brake pads that are suited to the driving you'll be doing. If you'll be going to some Auto-X events, then go with a set of pads that made for Auto-X.

I've heard good things about http://www.g-locbrakes.com/
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is online now   Reply With Quote