Finally just got vag-com. What should I check first?

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I finally scrounged up enough money from side jobs to get my Hex-Can+USB Vag-com. I know I am going to check the timing again just because it hasn't been done since I put the EGR cooler back on. Also, where can I find the procedure for limiting the EGR? I've also had a constant problem fighting the Glow plug check engine code. I really hope it can narrow my focus on this too. Can vag-com be used like a tuner??

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
VCDS (Vag-Com) cannot be used as a tuner. It cannot modify the programming in any controller. However, it can change any configuration bits to enable or disable options.

As for what to do first - always start with an autoscan, and save the results. This will give you a baseline to go back to in case you change something and don't like the results. You will discover that your 2011 probably has a lot more configuration options than your 2001 does.

Have Fun!

Don

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS (Vag-Com) cannot be used as a tuner. It cannot modify the programming in any controller. However, it can change any configuration bits to enable or disable options.

As for what to do first - always start with an autoscan, and save the results. This will give you a baseline to go back to in case you change something and don't like the results. You will discover that your 2011 probably has a lot more configuration options than your 2001 does.

Have Fun!

Don
I was pretty sure I couldn't do any "tuning", but just wanted to make sure. There are a few things I read about a while ago on the 11 JSW that I would like to do like adding foglights, etc. I'm sure the isn't much you can do with 01.

Is there a way on the 01 Golf I can make the trunk lock only when I lock the car like my JSW does? This really annoys me!

Last edited:

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
This is the best possible advice. Always do an auto scan first, and save it in a safe place.

-J
I can just save it to a file right? or do I physically need to write it down?

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info guys. After much searching and trying to remember how I saw the timing checked, I went to Ross-Tech's website and found a list of diagnostic settings/procedures on this page. I thought it would be helpful to others too.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
As everyone said AUTO SCAN....the #1 most useful thing you can do with it.

This is what I have done with my VCDS:

• Scan for codes and clear them
  • Change custom settings (number of blinks for soft turn light, windows up/down with key fob, brake lights flash under hard breaking and ABS is activated, coming home headlights....)
  • Measure performance while driving and plotting out.
  • Prime fuel system running tank and boost pumps.
To change engine performance, timing, fuel delivery (mapping), I don't
know. Personally I wouldn't do it. I do recall reading the manual if you
change engine parameters you better copy the old code before you
do... just in case. Otherwise you could make your engine not run at all.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Something you need to remember is that VCDS is just one of many tools in your tool kit. Hands down, the best tool you can own is having a working understanding of what you are working on.

When troubleshooting, VCDS doesn't tell you what the problem is, it tells you what the ECU sees. When a DTC (code) is set, you do not just change the part described in the text of the DTC, your next step is to figure out why the ECU set the code.

The last real problem I had with my car was a glow plug light and DTC's for glow plugs. Change the glow plugs, right? Not even close. The actual cause of the problem was a loose ground. Tightening the ground completely cured the problem. The proof was that the DTC's never came back after I cleared them.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Something you need to remember is that VCDS is just one of many tools in your tool kit. Hands down, the best tool you can own is having a working understanding of what you are working on.

When troubleshooting, VCDS doesn't tell you what the problem is, it tells you what the ECU sees. When a DTC (code) is set, you do not just change the part described in the text of the DTC, your next step is to figure out why the ECU set the code.

The last real problem I had with my car was a glow plug light and DTC's for glow plugs. Change the glow plugs, right? Not even close. The actual cause of the problem was a loose ground. Tightening the ground completely cured the problem. The proof was that the DTC's never came back after I cleared them.
^^^This bares repeating^^^
Troubleshoot the system, not the components. The cars computer controls are not that sophisticated.

matthew83544

TDI
2001 jetta sedan, and 2011 jetta sportwagen
Is there anyone in or near Lewiston, Idaho who has vag-com? I've got a glow plug light on my 2011 and can't even find the bently manual. Maybe some suggestions? The plugs seem fine, but I don't know about pressure sensors that are incorporated in them? Also I was told about a relay, but couldn't find any.

Thanks,
Matthew

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Matthew,

There are no betley manuals after 2k8 or so. If you want a repair manual you either need to buy some time on ebaun and download everything you can or get another type repair manual.
On a side note I am no where near Idaho unless you are talking 1 tank of fuel one way, Sorry.

Ron

Idahosnoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
I just got my Vag Com as well. As I was performing an auto scan, there were a few things that were in red. For example:

Address 25: Immobilizer
Cannot be reached

Please let me know if this is bad. I would post my scan but it has personal information serial numbers etc. on it and Im not sure what to delete or black out prior to posting it.

Thanks

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm scared to write because of this pop up

So I pick no to write my custom values? I'm trying to change drl, tpms to use wheels rotation, etc.

I got all original code saved, just scared to write new values!

On a 09.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I did a few things. Drl down to 35 percent. Was going to disable, but carrying kids I kept them on, and they are killed while blinker active.

I did the can bus tpms disable, but not certain of 2 things.

How to enable wheel speed sensor monitoring via abs, and how to reset in vcds if an error is detected. I don't plan on installing the glove box reset switch any time soon.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Not sure if it's been covered, I googled a bit and what little results I found, it was all British with no chime, ir American units with chime.

Well, I did this.

To kill door open chime, code to British, then go through mfd and change output units to American.

Done.

I de-dinged the doors and belts because i drive a lot on a huge apartment complex, jumping in/out a million times a day, in private property, sometimes exceeding 15mph, which triggers stuff.

It got annoying... Fast.....

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Anyone confirm drl deactivate during blink is overriden with instrument recode to British?

It seems I can't have drl deactivation during turn signal and no door chime.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm past that. Now I'm finding out what I can and can't mix and match.

Apparently door chime drl suspension during turn signal isn't possible.

Oh well.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
After having the clock spring recall done on our '12 Passat I discovered the dealer didn't recode the steering wheel module properly, meaning half the buttons on the steering wheel didn't work properly :rolleyes:

I was able to use my saved auto scan to find the proper coding for the module and apply it. After clearing all the fault codes the steering wheel buttons are working properly again :)

Always auto scan first. Always save the file in a safe place.

-J

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh. Damn. I've changed so much, and have nothing saved. Haha. Is that bad? I'm always changing and recoding without writing or saving anything.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
If the overall diameter is the same of road contact, it won't matter. Computer doesn't care or measure what's bolted on, it's what contacts the road...

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...