2001 Golf GL TDI

popester00

TDI
Former 2001 Golf GL owner
SOLD!!! 2001 Golf GL TDI (Dayton area, Ohio)

Hello! So, I bought this car roughly 10 years ago and joined this forum under the name "Mr.Dave", since then I have driven my car quite a bit and have lurked on the boards up until 5 or so years ago. I love my car, and one of the only reasons I'm selling it is because I want something with fewer miles, and a tab bit peppier. I bought a 2005 GTI, so my TDI is up for sale. First up, the stats:
2001 Golf GL TDI
Tornado Red
162,000 miles
Timing belt changed at 82,000 miles
Oil changed every 10,000 (synthetic)
There is a bit of rust around the drivers side fender and hood. The front bumper screws have come out, but if you know what you're doing, you can reattach it. The check engine light is on, but last time I ran the code I found out is was just the glow plugs. If you have the VAG tool, I'd be happy to let you find out if there is anything else. The transmission is good, along with the engine and clutch. Needs a review mirror (new windshield put in, never got a mirror on it). Glove box needs fixed (it opens, just not smoothly... like me at a bar).
Now, that is all the info I can give you at this moment. Unfortunately, I do not have any service records, but if you know these cars, you'll know this one is pretty much good to go. Why am I posting on here/making this my first post? I want the car to have a great second life, I want to find someone who will take care of this car and drive the heck out of it. Rather than have someone run it into the ground, I think it'd be another person very happy if they know what it'll take.
So, I've priced it between good and fair in the KBB, because of the low(er) mileage, though, I know it'll take some cosmetic work. Please PM me or post questions here for anything else.
$3,800 OBO.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
What color is the interior?

just to be sure, this is a 2 door golf, steel wheels, crank windows, no armrest, and joysticks for the mirrors.

Color me interested till I can see if the bosslady is agreeable.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I am very interested. used to have a dark blue one of these, and with a black interior, I am even more interested.

popester00

TDI
Excellent! As I've stated before, I'd love to see this go to a great home (and I've been reading up on your posts, you seem to really know your stuff). Let's see, anything else? I will need to clean the interior before you see it, it's not bad at all, but not as good as I want it. It will need a few antenna, (I think those are cheap though).

OH! I've noticed I get around 520 miles out of 12 gallons of dirty diesel, not too bad!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
PM sent. Would like to see it this evening if possible. I do not care how dirty it is inside. I can look past that stuff on initial inspection.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
So ya. Ill be picking this one up this friday. Will be hitting up the bank this week and plan on being there by noonish.

pm sent with questions needed.

Pleasure meeting you Mr. Dave :)

popester00

TDI
Great meeting you, Aaron. Anyone who hasn't met him, super nice guy who really knows what he's talking about!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Picked this one up on Friday. Thank you Dave for making the process painless. it was awesome to see that VW Iltis (sp?) you had tucked away in the garage.

heres a couple of shots from the Trip home.

Car has had Fuel air and Cabin Filters replaced, clock changed to 24 hour time, Doors unlock when the key is removed from the ignition, and we figured out that the taillight wiring or bulbs are causing hyperblink due to the LED bulbs that are in there.

Looking forward to fixing these issues and using the car daily.

popester00

TDI
Clock changed to 24 hrs? Man, I have some reading up to do in these forums! It's like meeting someone who knows all the cheat codes to your favorite video game.