Eureka! Found some 50 cetane.

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
After 6 months, I finally found a source of AMOCO Premier Diesel #2. (Olson Oil Co, Waukegan, IL) The pump stated a minimum 50 Cetane.

I have been adding about 4 ounces of Power Service (white bottle) and 1 ounce of Marvel Mystery oil to each tankful. Is this now overkill? I tempted to cut-out the PS and keep the MMO.

------------------
Kato - 1999.5 A4 GOLF GL TDI Automatic, Flash Red

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
You need the Power Services to prevent fuel gelling in the winter. Power Services only raises the cetane number by 1, but it provides detergents for the injectors, and also some fuel pump lubricant. Power Services is the only product I know of which has printed on the bottle how cold the temperatures can be without fuel gelling problems while using their product.

If you had been using Amsoil Cetane Booster or a similar product - this is what you can now eliminate.

I suspect that Chevron DieselMotive or MMO are probably superior fuel pump lubricants.

M

mickey

It's highly unlikely that the fuel is 50 cetane during the winter. I'd stick with the PS until you're sure they're selling summer grade diesel, then start using straight DieselMotive or MMO or some other additive that doesn't affect the cetane number. (The PS additive probably only boosts it a couple of points anyway.) There is no benefit to having a cetane number above 50, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything until you get ridiculously high. (Like 60 or 70 or something.)

-mickey

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
Where is Olson? How much was it?

My new tankful of tollway Mobil seems to be smoking more than I've noticed (or perhaps the wife needs a refresher on glow plug staged start-up since it was freezing overnight).

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
ertzog,

Old Skokie Hwy (off of Rt.41) between Belverdere and Washington. Think they have some retail stations in Gurnee. You can try calling them at 847.662-7400.

My GMC dealer recommended them. I paid 1.579 on 3/17.

------------------
Kato - 1999.5 A4 GOLF GL TDI Automatic, Flash Red

S

SkyPup

50 Cetane makes a world of positive differences in the TDI operation, that is for sure.