www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 26th, 2018, 06:21   #166
SilverSquirrel

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejpassat View Post
Is there much difference between the FSD and Special actives?
I have theFSD's along with an h&r rear sway bar on my 2015 passat.
Handles great but at low speeds on the unmaintained cali roads it can be stiff.
A stiffer Rsb will make cornering seem flatter, but ride quality suffers on bad roads. Also, as posted earlier in this long thread Fsds dont like to be lowered, Due to the bump stops confusing the special valve that controls damping. I am assumins same with the special actives. What springs?

On my heavy A3 vr6 awd, with bilsteins and h&r rsb for awd, the car cornered lika an old 911. Rode like one, too. Even w/awd was scary in the wet and snow. Im back to stock rsb and shocks now.

Special actives are going on the sportwagen when i find the time, and the wife isnt commuting, will updated when i do.
SilverSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 07:37   #167
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

mejpassat, where are you in CA? If you're in the north I think you will experience some harshness on any Euro suspension on the broken concrete roads up there. In SoCal roads are better (at least I think they are) and the Passat with FSDs should ride fine.
Old October 26th, 2018, 21:51   #168
Hwycruiser

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg avg

So do you now recommend for a Golf Mk4 the Actives or the Reds? Also how would you compare them to the Bilstein Touring?
Hwycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2018, 05:29   #169
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think either would be great. I think the Special Actives may ride a bit firmer on the Golf than on the heavier Jetta or NB. The MKIV suspension is pretty primitive, and any Koni, but especially the Special Actives, will make it ride and handle like a more sophisticated setup. I think the comparison to TCs is night and day. I find Billy TCs harsh on the MKIV, but still without great control. I've never liked them, although a lot of owners do.
Old November 4th, 2018, 14:16   #170
SilverSquirrel

I installed the rear special actives in my wifes 2013 tdi sportwagen today. At 116k, the rear oem sachs were dead for sure. No gas pressure in either one. Bottom coil of one spring broken off. New oem rear springs and mounts. I added some audi TT upper spring seats for an extra quarter inch. Total, the rear sits 1.25 inches higher after a test drive, with the fresh suspension.

I must say, these thing are super comfortable. No harshness at all. If anything, on the soft side. First impression is very good. I think we will have to go for the fronts as well.
SilverSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 08:59   #171
graeme20

Fuel Economy: 5.2 l/100 on the ALH, about 10 on the VR.

Cant' say enough about the Active Specials. Replaced my Koni Streets on my 03 wagon with the actives a few months back & absolutely love the ride. Feels slightly less firm than the Streets - way more comfortable on bumps, and seems to corner just as well.
graeme20 is offline   Reply With Quote