tdi alh Standalone Engine Management System

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, but the standard issue Bosch EDC15 is well known and easily made to run the engine in just about anything. The engine management when you get right down to it is brutally simple as it is. The Industrial versions of these engines isn't really any simpler, some of those even still use an immobilizer, but that part is easily tuned out anyways.

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
thank you oilhammer do you know where I could go to get immobilizer tuned out? from what I under stand it could then run with out the instrument cluster?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
thank you oilhammer do you know where I could go to get immobilizer tuned out? from what I under stand it could then run with out the instrument cluster?
There is several people on here that do it in the states, not sure about canada though.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Or you could source a 99.5 ecu and harness, which does not have immobilizer. That's what I'm doing for my swap. However, this is an 80 pin ECU and you will have to sort out more of the wiring yourself because most of the info/cheat sheets on this forum is for the later 121 pin ecu. Also, a couple of the terminals are different for the early wiring harness (n75, coolant temp sensor).

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Seriously, anyone doing an E-TDI swap without doing a tune at the same time, is nucking futs. If you're going to do an E swap, for pete's sake just send the ecu to a tuner and have the immo deleted and a tune of some sort thrown in (EGR/MAF delete if nothing else). The amount of time alone that's saved by having the immo deleted pays for the $50-100 price tag of the service.

With all the info out there now, doing a 121 pin ecu swap has never been easier. If you do a 99.5 ecu, you have to change chips instead of being able to obd flash.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
The 121 pin ecu and harness are just begging to be made into a stand alone unit, once you cut off the part of the harness going to the cluster and fuse box you have a great starting point, and most of the injector pump and engine sensors are already wired.
Here's a pic of the two parts of the ecu harness, the one side goes to the engine and doesnt have to be cut or spliced, except for a couple wires going to the fuse box.
The other side needs to be connected to things like the fuse box, throttle pedal, N75, MAP, MAF, ignition switch...

I was seriously considering paying the $1000+ for the custom harness, but then I got back to reality... Who's gonna work on this thing if it breaks, or the harness needs modifications... Me, so I better figure out how to wire it :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In need of a conversion psychiatrist

Seriously, anyone doing an E-TDI swap without doing a tune at the same time, is nucking futs. If you're going to do an E swap, for pete's sake just send the ecu to a tuner and have the immo deleted and a tune of some sort thrown in (EGR/MAF delete if nothing else). The amount of time alone that's saved by having the immo deleted pays for the $50-100 price tag of the service.

With all the info out there now, doing a 121 pin ecu swap has never been easier. If you do a 99.5 ecu, you have to change chips instead of being able to obd flash.

Gees, I didn't know that I was nucking futs doing my E swap!:D Gees, I even installed the OE ignition too (valet key operation). Does anyone have a recommendation for a 'conversion' psychiatrist? :eek::eek: Betcha the average car thief cannot steal and drive it off:p.

PS: When I commenced getting info it was like pulling hen's (chicken) teeth!

.......... just pulling your leg Whitebread. :cool:

john weeda

TDI
The 121 pin ecu and harness are just begging to be made into a stand alone unit, once you cut off the part of the harness going to the cluster and fuse box you have a great starting point, and most of the injector pump and engine sensors are already wired.
Here's a pic of the two parts of the ecu harness, the one side goes to the engine and doesnt have to be cut or spliced, except for a couple wires going to the fuse box.
The other side needs to be connected to things like the fuse box, throttle pedal, N75, MAP, MAF, ignition switch...

I was seriously considering paying the $1000+ for the custom harness, but then I got back to reality... Who's gonna work on this thing if it breaks, or the harness needs modifications... Me, so I better figure out how to wire it :D
looks like you are having some fun here do you have any drawings for that mess of wires that you have there!

john weeda

TDI
If you tuned out or delete the immobilizer will you not need the interment cluster and fuse box any more?

smogmonster

Veteran Member
TDI

So where is this info? All I see is vague pictures dead links pages of talk
And hear say. I know plenty have done it so why is there not a nice clear accurate diagram to follow ( all common uses engines) or did I miss it? Sorry if that's the case?? Also Incase anyone thinks I need everything done for me or hold my hand etc
I've done more than my fair share of oddball conversations some needing piles of wiring to sift through with no online help so I'm
Just over that now especially as the info IS out there so if somebody can put a link here I'm sure it would help a lot of people and save this topic reoccurring
Thankyou

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
So where is this info? All I see is vague pictures dead links pages of talk
And hear say. I know plenty have done it so why is there not a nice clear accurate diagram to follow ( all common uses engines) or did I miss it? Sorry if that's the case?? Also Incase anyone thinks I need everything done for me or hold my hand etc
I've done more than my fair share of oddball conversations some needing piles of wiring to sift through with no online help so I'm
Just over that now especially as the info IS out there so if somebody can put a link here I'm sure it would help a lot of people and save this topic reoccurring
Thankyou
the wiring diagrams in your bentley are all you need, it's what i used to build my first harness

smogmonster

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi first off apologies for the massive delay in responce I basicly got so over it

And had other projects that I haven't been back on here.
Secondly JIMBOTE thankyou for actually trying to post up info
I had a quick look but can't see what needs 12v constant what needs 12v switched and without doing a search im not sure which vehicles and years have the 121 pin ecu.
So it seems. That even now I can't find a basic diagram of wiring for a tdi!
Yet I can find it for a 24v cummins which is way newer in seconds
All I see as per my original years old post is talk about how easy it is dead links vague descriptions and asvice to pay a
Company . Now I'm sure I could work it out but if it's so easy and so common
WTH is the description? Even some videos are vague.
I'm sorry if I have missed it I looked in the sticky and found no title for it
I don't have a bentley but could get one I guess.
People have been doing stand alone for 20+ years! so wth is
The info???

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Do a search for my build thread, jhaxs alh swap into a mk2, I think page 4 I have actual diagrams I drew up as well as a scan of the entire alh diagram into CE 2 fuse block

Dustyrusty

TDI
1999.5 tdi alh mk4 hatchback

Do you have any wiring diagrams you could send me i cant seem to find anything anywhere online new to witing more of a mechanical guy

Dustyrusty

TDI
Do you have any wiring diagrams you could send me i cant seem to find anything anywhere online new to wiring more of a mechanical guy trying to get into the electrical side of things

Dustyrusty

TDI

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Back 2009-10-11-12, I installed a 2002 ALH engine in an 84 Vanagon. As I stated earlier in this Thread, finding info was like pulling hen's teeth. It seemed like no one wanted to share their knowledge. So, when I did my Conversion project, I shared everything as best I could.

I spent hours upon hours detangling the wiring harness which came in a garbage bag. I got everything with the purchase,,,, engine, wiring harness, accelerator pedal, ignition switch, cluster, etc. I used the Bentley Manual wiring schematics, brown tape for labeling, etc. As Archemitis stated earlier in this Thread, "Who's gonna work on this thing if it breaks, or the harness needs modifications... Me, so I better figure out how to wire it...." So, when I finished my project, all of my notes, drawings, etc., were placed in a Ring Binder for future use if necessary. I spent hours upon top of hours studying the diagrams in the Bentley. So, gleaning info here and there is just fine, but you need to begin building a reference source for your project.

Dustyrusty

TDI
Back 2009-10-11-12, I installed a 2002 ALH engine in an 84 Vanagon. As I stated earlier in this Thread, finding info was like pulling hen's teeth. It seemed like no one wanted to share their knowledge. So, when I did my Conversion project, I shared everything as best I could.

I spent hours upon hours detangling the wiring harness which came in a garbage bag. I got everything with the purchase,,,, engine, wiring harness, accelerator pedal, ignition switch, cluster, etc. I used the Bentley Manual wiring schematics, brown tape for labeling, etc. As Archemitis stated earlier in this Thread, "Who's gonna work on this thing if it breaks, or the harness needs modifications... Me, so I better figure out how to wire it...." So, when I finished my project, all of my notes, drawings, etc., were placed in a Ring Binder for future use if necessary. I spent hours upon top of hours studying the diagrams in the Bentley. So, gleaning info here and there is just fine, but you need to begin building a reference source for your project.
Im not swapping into anything just looking to eliminate wiring in the existing volkswagon car im assuming ur diagram is applicable?

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
Also doing TDI(ALH) into 2011 Ranger, most components thru TD Conversions, Fast Forward doing harness/ecu upgrades, has anyone been able to connect VW ecu to Ford instrument cluster so you can have working gauges , internet searches come up empty

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also doing TDI(ALH) into 2011 Ranger, most components thru TD Conversions, Fast Forward doing harness/ecu upgrades, has anyone been able to connect VW ecu to Ford instrument cluster so you can have working gauges , internet searches come up empty
At the top of this Category (TDI Conversions) is a Thread containing many of the Conversions of which all vary as to what was done in the process. As you will learn, many of us put in hours and hours of research, studying diagrams, etc. Many folks shared the info in their build project Thread. So, take a look and see what you might find. TDI Conversions: Build Threads and Links to Swap Discussions

jmcrow1954

TDI
2001ALH
At the top of this Category (TDI Conversions) is a Thread containing many of the Conversions of which all vary as to what was done in the process. As you will learn, many of us put in hours and hours of research, studying diagrams, etc. Many folks shared the info in their build project Thread. So, take a look and see what you might find. TDI Conversions: Build Threads and Links to Swap Discussions
THXs I will keep mining the site