www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 28th, 2018, 16:29   #3331
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Unless that 6 miles is at 100% throttle on a cold engine up a 10% grade both ways, you won't hurt anything .
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 16:43   #3332
SilverSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post
I just picked up a used Harbeck sailboat trailer. German, late 80's.
Seems very solid. Has a funky brake setup that i am going to ditch. I think it was used for a star class boat. I am putting my rhodes 19 on it. Its only going 6 miles, twice a year.
Boat and trailer weigh 1800 lbs. Is this too much for the tdi dsg sportwagen with a curt hitch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
Unless that 6 miles is at 100% throttle on a cold engine up a 10% grade both ways, you won't hurt anything .
Thanks. Anyone familiar with harbeck trailers? Where can i get parts in the usa if i need them?
SilverSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 15:26   #3333
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

Diesel mower

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 13:23   #3334
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
Diesel mower
Sweet! Here is a picture of my gasoline powered D110 which regularly travels 60 miles or 100 km round trip to keep the lawn looking perfect out at my wife's grandfather's house. Long story. Also, never mind the giant magnet powered by the giant lemon on the roof racks. This was taken the day before I left for the Great Lakes Mistake LeMONS Rally.
Sprint 520's / RC3 / sweet turbo delete
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://youtube.com/narfblast
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 16:38   #3335
FJ40Jim
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '01 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: 44-52

We're thinking of replacing the ALH/5MT Golf with a 2011-14 JSW TDI/DSG. Can it handle towing the Scamp 13? Thinking of engine emission durability and auto tranny durability.
The Golf continues to tow very well, but at 280k it's starting to look tatty.
Thanks for any insights!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1umN...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by FJ40Jim; November 17th, 2018 at 12:47.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 18:59   #3336
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I'd think that towing would help all the emissions equipment live longer - EGT's are naturally higher when towing so it does not have to regen as much since there's enough heat in the exhaust to do it "naturally"?

Couldn't say on the DSG and towing. Guessing again that as long as it's not constantly shifting back/forth under high load it would be just fine?

I'm really speaking out of turn here as I'm still driving an ALH/6MT
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:40   #3337
jason_
Veteran Member

Dsg is a brute. Malone tune mentions Hydraulic pressure modifications for the clamp force.

I plan to delete and tune both. Let that turbine free wheel!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 09:10   #3338
dremd
Veteran Member

Once I decided to turn in my DSG car I started abusing it heavily. The only thing it hiccuped at was trying to push a parked Prius (parking brake on)out of the way. The DSG would push for about 10 seconds then stop and allow you to retry. I towed some heavy stuff, and gave 0 craps. Granted it was only 15K miles.
2006 Sprinter
2014 JSW (Went back to VW)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 07:36   #3339
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
We're thinking of replacing the ALH/5MT Golf with a 2011-14 JSW TDI/DSG. Can it handle towing the Scamp 13? Thinking of engine emission durability and auto tranny durability.
The Golf continues to tow very well, but at 280k it's starting to look tatty.
Thanks for any insights!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1umN...ew?usp=sharing
I'm not sure when VW started saying don't tow with the dsg, but for my 10, it says it's capable of 1500 pounds. IIRC, the European rating was 1500kg or 3300 pounds. If you're not having issues with the ALH, I think you'll be fine with more power and the dsg.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 10:18   #3340
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hello,

My daughter started as a General Service Technician at a local auto shop a few months ago. I bought her this roller cart about two months ago:

I outfitted her with some tools, too. She has bought more tools and quickly outgrew the cart. So I got her something larger from Home Depot online. It arrived crated and needed some minor assembly:

Working alone with this 380-lb crate, there was no way I was going to completely unload it to install the casters. So I had to get innovative. My driveway is sloped, so I needed to raise the rear end up so I could slide the cargo rearward. My clutch did NOT like this maneuver...

I used a series of sliding and jacking maneuvers to get the casters mounted...

Then I had to lift the end so I could get ramps under the casters...

I used a winch to pull the cabinet into transport position...

My daughter managed to transfer some tools to the cabinet and was putting it to good use by the end of her work day.

Scott

| .M y . S t a g e . 2 . G T I . |
| Facebook | YouTube | Fuelly |
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote