www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old November 14th, 2018, 10:18   #16
boodles

Maxmoo, you’re comment was uncalled for and simply just rude.

It makes sense to ask for more than one recommendation, no one simply just takes the first recommendation they’re given. I wanted to see what others had to say before I decided what to do. I don’t want to just walk into a shop, hand over my keys and have them tell me I need this this this and it’ll cost $3000. I already know the majority of what the car needs, and how much I can afford at a time. What I need is someone who will work with me one thing at a time as I can afford it and ignore the other things. I’ve had mechanics refuse to fix one thing if they didn’t get the full $2000 out of me at once. I don’t NEED X repair right now, it can wait until I can afford it, but I need Y repair right now and it’s all I can afford. I need a mechanic that understands that. Right now, I have one repair in mind I need done before Christmas, but if I take it into a shop and they do a once over of the car, that’s not what they will want to fix. I want a mechanic that will focus only on what I ask for the time being.

I don’t think you guys realize the kind of situation I’m in, or the kind or car I drive.
boodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 12:02   #17
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Shops have reputations to keep and if they fix only want you want AND THEN something else breaks, all they need is you start badmouthing them because you didn’t listen. For example, customer wants the CV boots replaced instead of the entire axle/shaft. Shop doesn’t want to do this because they can’t guarantee that the re-booted CV joint will last or have the quality/end results they want. So this is where they will say they don’t do re-booting and only willing to do an axle swaps. But, this will cost more than the boot replacement so, the owner thinks the shop wants to rip him off. Any chance this is what has been happening to you? Most shops can tell if an owner is going to be a future PITA and then quote a job so high that they know the customer will go elsewhere. This is their way of declining a job without saying no.
What you need to find is a shop that can do proper diagnosis before they replace ANYTHING. This way they are not just throwing parts at it and hoping eventually one of them will fix the problem. BUT proper diagnosis can take time and cost more money than replacing a part and crossing fingers. Quality work cost money. The other option is that you tackle the work yourself and if the part doesn’t fix the issue at least you didn’t spend money on labour.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 08:06   #18
boodles

The majority of repairs are done by me or people I know- thus saving labour. Where I’m stuggling is with things I don’t have the equipment for or something I don’t have to room for. I can only do so many repairs with the car on jack stands in my parking lot.

What I’m asking a shop to do right now is work with me on my rather serious and complicated suspension problem while ignoring the engine codes for emissions, O2 Sensors and the like because I mean aware I have a hole punched in the pipe just after my cat and my cats about to rust out at any moment. The difference is- I can only afford to fix one thing and my busted strut and related issues make highway driving difficult. The cat just makes the car noisy and likely to fail an emissions test.

I NEED my suspension situation fixed by Christmas because this car has to make it to Thunder Bay. The cat can wait till after I get my Christmas bonus and get back to work in January/February.
Old November 15th, 2018, 10:26   #19
imo000
Veteran Member

Sounds like your car shouldn't be on the road at all. What is so complicated about your suspension problem?
Old November 15th, 2018, 12:16   #20
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.68L/100km on my 1st tank; now averaging 5.4L/100km (Sept 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Sounds like your car shouldn't be on the road at all. What is so complicated about your suspension problem?

Short version - he needs to replace a broken sprut, but has no money for new parts, or labour, and has no access to good used parts.

- it's a cash flow problem

------

Cars and driving can be expensive.

I would never recommend a 15 yr old volkswagen to someone who doesn't have the ability or place to do their own work. This is coming from someone who drives a 12 yr old VW as a daily driver, and does most of his own work, has tools, a vcds, and facilities to do most repairs. Even then, I have caved and gotten paid outside help. TB change was one, passenger front wheel bearing was another....

You are talking about repairs that exceed the value of the car. The fact that the mechanic needs to charge a fair rate for their labour is not their problem.

IMHO,It makes no sense to keep going the way your vehicle sounds....
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 12:45   #21
boodles

Not all of us can afford $15,000 cars.

This car runs just fine and has never let me down or left me stranded. I’m not going to get rid of a good thing because it needs a little TLC, which, I might add, is mostly because it’s previous owner left it to sit. Again- I don’t think you understand the situation I’m in or the kind of car I drive. Similarity, where I’m from there’s 1000’s of cars in worse shape on the road, just because my car needs to wait a few weeks to get something doesn’t mean the car is scrap.

—————————

Wrong. It’s not a broken strut. Obviously I’m willing to pay for parts and labour if I’m looking for a mechanic. Clearly I do some repairs on my own or I wouldn’t be looking for a mechanic 2 years into owning the car. Even if I need to put $600 worth of work into the car, it’s still cheaper than a payment on a new car. At this point the car is half new parts. You’ve heard 2 things about my vehicle. You have no idea “How it sounds”.

Last edited by boodles; November 15th, 2018 at 12:48.
Old November 15th, 2018, 13:05   #22
petee_c
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodles View Post
The difference is- I can only afford to fix one thing and my busted strut and related issues make highway driving difficult. The cat just makes the car noisy and likely to fail an emissions test.

I NEED my suspension situation fixed by Christmas because this car has to make it to Thunder Bay. The cat can wait till after I get my Christmas bonus and get back to work in January/February.
Sorry, I thought you said it was a busted strut previously....

I can't help you on the mechanic reccomendations in the GTA...hopefully you can work something out and find someone who can help you prioritize your repairs... Porbably best at this time is just to drive around and have a face to face with some shops, get a quote and see who you feel comfortable with,
Old November 15th, 2018, 13:34   #23
boodles

It’s related to the strut, the reason I’m looking for a mechanic now is because a new strut didn’t solve the problem, even though it needed a new strut anyway. I figured it wasn’t just easier to say something simple than explain the elaborate trial and error process I’ve already gone through. I wanted a new mechanic because neither myself, my stepdad, or my moms mechanic seem to know why the car is doing what it’s doing (and I’m sick of trial and error) but none of these people are all too familiar with the weird little things we sometimes find about Volkswagen’s. Every other vehicle in the family is/has been a dodge or a Pontiac.

I just hope you realize that trying to explain something on here is absolutely nothing like experiencing it in the car. I say my car needs a handful of repairs but from looking at the car you couldn’t tell. She runs just fine and I only know because I drive it every day for long periods of time. Basically this is all routine maintenance that the the car never ever got because it’s previous owner neglected it.

Actually people all the time are amazed at how many original parts are in the car- just the other day I changed the spark plugs. Most likely the original ones- with 15 years and 310k Kms on them. Just think about that for a minute.... how many other tiny things were never ever changed and the car runs good? I’m just catching up on regular maintenance, which is why it’s going to take a while.
Old November 15th, 2018, 13:48   #24
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Why don't you try to describe the problem you are having with your suspension and maybe someone on here can point you in the right direction. The MKIV cars have very basic suspension systems. Lower control arm, strut and a ball joint and some bushings. Not a lot to chase a problem.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 11:09   #25
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodles View Post
Itís related to the strut, the reason Iím looking for a mechanic now is because a new strut didnít solve the problem, even though it needed a new strut anyway. I figured it wasnít just easier to say something simple than explain the elaborate trial and error process Iíve already gone through. I wanted a new mechanic because neither myself, my stepdad, or my moms mechanic seem to know why the car is doing what itís doing (and Iím sick of trial and error) but none of these people are all too familiar with the weird little things we sometimes find about Volkswagenís. Every other vehicle in the family is/has been a dodge or a Pontiac.

I just hope you realize that trying to explain something on here is absolutely nothing like experiencing it in the car. I say my car needs a handful of repairs but from looking at the car you couldnít tell. She runs just fine and I only know because I drive it every day for long periods of time. Basically this is all routine maintenance that the the car never ever got because itís previous owner neglected it.

Actually people all the time are amazed at how many original parts are in the car- just the other day I changed the spark plugs. Most likely the original ones- with 15 years and 310k Kms on them. Just think about that for a minute.... how many other tiny things were never ever changed and the car runs good? Iím just catching up on regular maintenance, which is why itís going to take a while.
What spark plugs? Your car is not a diesel?

Give us the benefit that we know more than you and describe what exactly is going on with your suspension. As said above, there is nothing special about the MKIV suspension. I've seen the exact same setup on a Pontiac and many others. Since your car has over 310K on it, how about accepting the fact that some parts are a bit worn and live with it. It isn't realistic to demand that a car this old will feel like a new one.
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:47   #26
petee_c
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
What spark plugs? Your car is not a diesel?
Yeah, I caught that too....

I'm not sure if we can help.... He doesn't seem very receptive, but to others reading this thread, the types of sounds your car makes with respect to suspension can be helpful in diagnosis, accompanied by a visual inspection.

Squeaks
Squawks
Metal on metal
Clunks
Groans
Tire noise/roaring
Cyclic or intermittent
Whirling
Does the sound change?
Does it get worse with turning or braking?

Visually, compare one side to the other etc.

Duplicate sounds by rocking the car side to side or front to back.

To do the side to side one, open both windows on one side of the car and grab the b pillar and rock it from side to side building up amplitude.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old November 16th, 2018, 13:35   #27
steve6
Veteran Member

According to this http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494064

The poster drives a 1.8t
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote