www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 13th, 2018, 10:24   #16
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by krebsy75 View Post
Dude, an HPFP implosion is $16K to fix. It’s well documented. Yes, I know, the dieselgate warranty will cover it. I still don’t want half my car ripped apart for this kind of repair if it were to happen. And for it to happen it would require extraordinary circumstances. Running a CR TDI with three year old diesel in the tank may very well be such a circumstance. That would be on you for buying a vehicle with 3 year old diesel in the tank. You seem smart enough to at lest request to have the old diesel removed and filled with fresh. You use the word implosion for something you may never have a single issue with. For this 5 figure repair bill you could eliminate ALL potential future failures for $2200 for a tune and delete.
I don’t know which Treg you own but here’s my experience with the ‘16 VR6 Sport we purchased fifteen months ago (13K miles): Reading comprehesion owns you. In my first post it clearly says I own a 2013 .
- Thermostat replaced
- Misfires (due to poor fuel - hasn’t returned)
- Transmission error (occurred once - dealer found no issues)
- Noise in rear, sway bar end links replaced
- 2nd thermostat replaced along with water pump
- Rear main seal leak suspected via independent shop. Dealer disagreed and blamed loose oil filter. Issue still TBD
The vehicle currently has 42,500. Its under CPO until 60K.
I’m not sure how this thread got derailed. It’s a very expensive vehicle to own. Are you in denial about that?!? I admitted that a five figure repair was dramatic. How many times would you like to address this comment? A third or fourth time, perhaps?
I’m 6’3” with a long torso and no SUV fits me better than a Touareg. As a diesel guy I always wanted a TDI.
Regarding the white one mentioned in the original post. The dealer’s response was essentially “take it or leave it”. They don’t feel that it needs maintenance performed. Yep, a real lousy place to do business with. Next!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Sportwagen TDI was far more maintenance hungry than my current Touareg TDI for the fact it is a timing chain over a timing belt and isn't a DSG trans.

You keep ragging on the repair bills. Sorry your garbage V6 gas model is just that...garbage. If the dealer will not budge in any way on a leftover 16 TDI, I guess this whole thread is pointless since you don't even own it, just speculate how spendy a fix MIGHT be someday. All vehicles today are spendy to fix.

There are two to my knowledge 16 leftovers in Iowa that I know of and the prices are in the 40 ballpark also. I would never touch one of them and am happy they declined my 35K offer to buy one. I saved a lot more $$ and got a step up in the model line up with my LUX. Plenty to cover 5 figure repair bills.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 10:37   #17
krebsy75
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
My Sportwagen TDI was far more maintenance hungry than my current Touareg TDI for the fact it is a timing chain over a timing belt and isn't a DSG trans.

You keep ragging on the repair bills. Sorry your garbage V6 gas model is just that...garbage. If the dealer will not budge in any way on a leftover 16 TDI, I guess this whole thread is pointless since you don't even own it, just speculate how spendy a fix MIGHT be someday. All vehicles today are spendy to fix.

There are two to my knowledge 16 leftovers in Iowa that I know of and the prices are in the 40 ballpark also. I would never touch one of them and am happy they declined my 35K offer to buy one. I saved a lot more $$ and got a step up in the model line up with my LUX. Plenty to cover 5 figure repair bills.

That's the first time I've heard the VR6 called garbage. Thirsty? Yes. Perhaps you are being a little dramatic here.

If anyone is still following along the moral of the story is: some of the leftover TDIs aren't quite the deal they seem to be. Plan to dump a few grand into one if it's been sitting - and the dealer hasn't done squat. Better yet, find one pre-owned that has been driven as opposed to rotting away on a lot somewhere.

Happy driving!
krebsy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 11:16   #18
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by krebsy75 View Post
That's the first time I've heard the VR6 called garbage. Thirsty? Yes. Perhaps you are being a little dramatic here.

If anyone is still following along the moral of the story is: some of the leftover TDIs aren't quite the deal they seem to be. Plan to dump a few grand into one if it's been sitting - and the dealer hasn't done squat. Better yet, find one pre-owned that has been driven as opposed to rotting away on a lot somewhere.

Happy driving!
Having two friends that are VW master techs I know what ones to avoid. Mainly any TSI or V6 gasser post B5 platform.

Unsure why I am still following along since you never even bought the car, just predetermined all it's repair bills based on 3 year old diesel in the tank.

Happy trails
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote