www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old November 1st, 2018, 13:40   #136
truman
Veteran Member

I feel very unexcited about a potential replacement for my 05 Passat wagon. I still enjoy driving it everyday.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 13:43   #137
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yep, that is why I am keeping both my B5s. In the process of doing a few needed refreshes on my wagon. 230k miles, needed the plastic coolant flange and a few other things. Still runs and drives great. Can't buy a new one. Can't even buy anything like it, really. Closest thing would be the $45k A4 Allroad. And I think my AWM will outlast that. Besides, the amount of parts in the newer Audis that have "made in China" on them don't give me a lot of good feelings about the long term for them.
Old November 1st, 2018, 17:46   #138
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Overall I think a light duty diesel drivetrain will be a better fit for a CUV/SUV:

4) Durability: diesel superior to gasoline
5) Complexity: the gasoline hybrid might have a slight edge here but I am not sure.
When you take the high pressure fuel injection and emission control systems into account, diesel powertrains don't have superior durability any more.

The Volt uses a non turbo engine. If you consider the electric part of the powertrain to be part of the transmission, it is mechanically simpler than the (for example) 9 speed automatic transmissions (GM now has one, and it's different from the ZF / FCA transmission), but electrically more complex.

And on that point ... back to the Pacifica hybrid for a moment. Buying the hybrid version gets away from the ZF / FCA 9 speed ...
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2018, 14:47   #139
03 shaker

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Skimmed most of this thread.

My dad bought a diesel Equinox FWD about a month ago for his wife to drive (he drives an 04 Golf). The first 3 tanks have been 42, 42, 43. All hand calculated. Most of this driving has been highway, 50-70 speed limits.

I drove it last weekend and was very impressed actually. One thing that surprised me about the car was the trans tuning. It actually held what I felt were the correct gears for speed/load. I was afraid the trans would be shifting into high gear at 35 MPH like so many new cars are prone to. But it always seemed to hovering 1900-2800, which seems to work well for that engine.

As for the sizing, I almost compare it to an over sized Golf. Curb weight is only ~3600 pounds, which I was surprised to hear. Overall I think a lot of people would enjoy having one.

Now to play the waiting game and see how reliable it will be
Old November 4th, 2018, 19:55   #140
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
When you take the high pressure fuel injection and emission control systems into account, diesel powertrains don't have superior durability any more.
Yes, we are in agreement.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2018, 19:58   #141
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Right now, a non-hybrid, non-turbo, non-DI gasoline engine wins handily in the complexity department. There are fewer of these left (all three of the Equinox engine choices are turbocharged DI engines, two gas, one diesel). Plus, the few that are left are still equipped with complicated and often fragile (Honda comes to mind) vario-valve/cam stuff.
There fuel economy is abysmal. And because they do not have the extra power afforded by other technologies, the only way they can get them to have a chance to actually move whatever they are in is to make them BIGGER. Add to that the fact that they are almost always saddled with an automatic transmission, you can see why they are at the bottom of the "wanted" list until the buy in price gets brought into the equation.
But by the time these relatively simple engines are completely gone, the gasoline engines will have particle filters and some form of SCR added to them as well.
And then the efficiency gap between a gasoline Equinox with particle filter and the diesel Equinox will increase even further in favor of the later one.
Old November 5th, 2018, 06:20   #142
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

GPFs operate differently from DPFs. In particular, there is generally no need for active regeneration. The normal deceleration fuel cut periods during normal driving are enough to regenerate them and the exhaust temperature during normal driving is high enough. I expect GPF to have no significant effect on fuel consumption.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 16:34   #143
Tin Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/40/30 TDI PD, 42/37/32 535d, 52/46/42 XE 2.0d

I'm not convinced about this, since diesel fuel is still basically like light vegetable oil and has a natural lubricant quality. While emissions tech creates problems, it is getting better and may not be so much of an issue in the future. GPF equipped engines still have high pressure fuel pumps which, at least in BMW's, have had issues, so direct injection gassers are not quite up to the level of current diesels in reliability it seems.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:24   #144
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I'm not convinced about this, since diesel fuel is still basically like light vegetable oil and has a natural lubricant quality.
Yes and no. We all now this but I'm restating it here.

Distillate fuels are all high in surfactants which are mostly bound to sulfur. This makes them a great lubricant. However, ultra low sulfur fuels are hydrotreated to remove the sulfur. This also results in removing most of the surfactants. Without added surfactants, ULSD would trash our HPFPs in probably the first tank, much the same as trying to run gasoline through them. Balancing the lubrication properties with additives is entirely dependent on the specific tank farm and end customer. Easy to screw up if one of the additive tanks is empty or contaminated. This might be one of the reasons we saw so many early HPFP failures.
Old November 8th, 2018, 20:43   #145
tikal
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 tdi fan View Post
tikal, I haven't found a good equinox forum to compare to this one yet.Check fuelly for what other people are getting and yes wife drives a lot of highway miles.
Yes, good deal with Fuelly. Is one of the better MPG databases as it provides the largest numbers of real life MPG. Sure people make mistakes entering their data but as the miles accumulated The Central Limit Theorem (CLT) takes care of providing you the best average or expected MPG. Here is the one for 2018 Equinox diesel with the 1.6L engine:

"Based on data from 14 vehicles, 340 fuel-ups and 127,669 miles of driving, the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox gets a combined Avg MPG of 36.13 with a 0.89 MPG margin of error."

So, in theory, if there was a way to separate out the AWD vehicles, the above average would probably be better by like 5 to 10 percent perhaps.