Photos 99Golf TDI Auto Black

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
After growing up with a 60's Bug and bus that
we rode around in as kids, I finally came back looking for a high mileage diesel car to drive to work as a computer technician.
With only one dealer in the UP of Michigan,
by the time I got there, this was the only
TDI left. I could not be more satisfied with
the 99 Golf GLS Auto TDI. When cruising it
seldom shifts, even on cruise with hills.

Most non VW owners comment on the headlights.

The engine compartment is covered and the
battery enclosed.

Inside of car is well laid out with firm seats.

Most cars see this view of my car, still looking for additional parts to dress it up.

------------------
ripster@up.net
99.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Ripster,

Nice Car!! and nice photos. Especially the first one with the two sparkles at the front of the hood. Did you add those later?

S

SkyPup

Wow, that is beautiful, what a nice Golf IV. How do you like the automatic? Is it a four speed? What RPM's does the auto upshift at? Let's hear it from an automatic TDI some!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Are those OEM floor mats? It looks like you can do the UPer trick for the winter. you certainly have enough wood. I am refering to the practice of building a fire, letting it burn down to coals and parking a car/truck's engine compartment over it so it'll start in the AM.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't replace an aging volvo, rebuild the suspension and put a new small block chevy vortec V8 in there. Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothes, you could destroy mickey's wetted beetle.

At least that is what I am planning to do with our Volvo, if it ever stops running which doesn't look anytime soon (225,000 miles still doesn't burn a drop of oil, and still gets 30 mpg cruising at 70 w/2 people and stuff). I may rebuild the suspension and pray for a job opening somewhere where the roads are nicer to cars than Michigan. . .

I opened the hood of the Volvo last week after spending two months showing off the TDI guts to people and was shocked how much space there was. I was stunned. It was carvernous compared to the 99 Golf.

And like THE RIPSTER I like to make sure I don't forget to open the hood when introducing the TDI to people.

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
The sparkles came naturally from the sun.
The floor mats are from my old buick, I ordered some new ones from VW that should protect the ones that came with it from water and salt in the winter. I have yet
to really put it through its paces on the auto, but at 60mph I am around 2200rpm, VW
lists the auto on final as .02 better than
the 5 speed, so if I do not stop I should do
just as good as the 5 speed. 2nd tank
average with all kinds of city and highway
driving was 43, so I am expecting easily
close to 49+ with just a straight highway
trip. Will let you know in about 3 weeks
when I get to drive on a freeway again downstate, till then 65 is about all I do.
Get to run 80mph on the freeway without
getting stopped most of the time.

The auto is a four speed, and it senses whether you want to torque around someone or
downshift by how fast you press the gas and/or present speed. When I get to a freeway in a couple of weeks, I will see
what the shift points are, (there goes my
mileage
)

They say I should not have to park it over
any coals this winter, we will see, as it
will be out during the night -20 and -30
is not uncommon here.

And say what a guy that Fred is. I emailed
him reference the pics, he within hours emailed me to go ahead and send the pics.
set up a site for them, emailed me the instructions, and everything worked like a
charm. My check is in the mail, what a great
site.

jtm

If you have any more picts, please put them up. I'd love to see more pictures from different angles. These picts are making my decision to get a NB not so final.

jtm

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Ripster, I checked out the stock VW rubber floor mats. I was dissapointed. It doesn't look like they will hold one boot full of snow.
The guys at my dealer carry the same rubber mats (can't remeber the brand) that J.C. Whitney sells (same price dealer and whitney) and they fit the GOlF perfectly. 49.99 for the front pair, 39.99 for the back pair but if you buy them both they take $10 off the price.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
That is one slick Golf! Really nice photos of a really nice car. This is the first time I have seen under the hood of an A4. I am assuming that the Jettas are like that. A little different from my A3 Jetta.

------------------

'97 Jetta TDI
caddy@udnet.net

M

mickey

We need a time out from pictures of black Golf GLS's. Please. Either that or I'll have to go someplace that's free of computers and breathe the fresh air of sanity for a while. It's a good thing my wife isn't as nuts about cars as I am or I'd place an order right NOW! (Drool, drool.)

-mickey

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited September 24, 1999).]

S

SkyPup

When I bought my silver 99 TDI Jetta there was a black TDI Golf IV on the lot, but only two door version. I would have bought it then if it was a four door since I definitely like the Golf syyling alot. Sweet car, should be loads of fun and economically handy as well. With some aftermarket tires and wheels the Golfs are awesome.