Canadian 2011 Golf TDI: Navigation options & security?

tendim

TDI
None yet
G'day group!

First post to the forum but I've been doing some lurking for a few months..

I'm looking into upgrading to a diesel car in a years time, and right now the Golf TDI is at the top of my list. Being from Canada, the only option that is missing that I would like is a navigation, something that is available in the US but not here.

Looking at some of the posts, Canadian users have had great success with installing aftermarket Navigation units (which fixes Bluetooth issues as well?). This sounds like a promising option (some of the installs look really clean and factory-like in appearance), but in installing aftermarket my only concern is security.

I've had two cars broken into the past couple of years because I park at public lots to take public transit to work. In installing aftermarket units that do not have removeable faceplates do you not run the risk of theft? Or are the security features in a stock golf enough to prevent this? I'm thinking thieves will take the smash & grab option if they can, so do people run stock security or upgrade to something louder / more effective?

Thanks for any input!
-10d

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I personally kept my security system stock. If the criminals are at all educated in the aftermarket stereo scene they may know of the current security systems that come installed from the aftermarket manufacturers.

My Pioneer for example has a user input theft code rendering the unit useless when power is removed and put back on. You decide what the code is when you enable the function. I don't know what is involved in getting the unit reset if you forgot you enabled the security function forgot the code while say, replacing the battery. The instruction manual says to go to a Pioneer dealer to have it reset. I don't know how secret the reset information is from the dealers or how much research they do when they are requested to reset a unit.

The factory installed nav units all have a similar security code system. I guess it's up to your own comfort level. I have been fortunate enough to never have had a stereo stolen from any of my vehicles yet. Many friends of mine have. For me, having never gone through the insurance and cost of being ripped off, it's worth the risk to gain a premium nav unit and sound in my vehicle. I may feel different if I had gone through the trouble of having my system stolen.