98 Jetta TDI hard to shift when cold

tdi_torgs

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5spd
Hello all, I was a previous member but forgot my password- good to be back. I have a question for you all.

I have a 1998 Jetta TDI 5 speed w/230k (90% hwy milse).

Starting pretty much all of a sudden last week, I am having trouble shifting into 1st gear and reverse when "cold" (not really temperature cold, just in the morning after sitting all night). Some mornings I can get it into 1st or reverse with just a slight chunk/grind- other mornings it's like a whall has been installed preventing me from getting into 1st. I searched the forums and ended up adjusting the cable the other day, not much change when adjusting it in either direction.
WHen the car is not running, it shifts pretty smoothly- only occasionally requiring me to depress the clutch to pop it into 1st gear. Also, after a few mins. of high rpm hwy driving (warmed up ), it shifts absolutely great.

Any thoughts on why or what to do?? Thanks!!

?? gear oil..clutch...T/O bearing..etc.??

Colraindub

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta TDI
My car does this as well only when cold. I don't think its much to worry about, the gear oil just hasn't warmed up and is still thick. I find double clutching helps it shift into the gears when its cold.

Although I may be wrong and this may actually be a problem.... as you can see I'm still a newbie

tdi_torgs

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5spd
the temperature is not actually that cold, it was 42º outside last night and I had the same problem as the night before- when it was warmer. Also, all winter it was fine (not plugged in either), and it was 10º out or lower for a month straight every night.

I'm hoping that I am just low on gear oil, but why now? WHere did the gear oil go? THere are no visable leaks... Should I change the gear oil or just check it and top it off?

Is there a better way to PRECISELY adjust the shifter cable nut/slide?

I'm pretty sure it is not the clutch or bearing (I have had lots of clutch-failing experience), no noises or smells- did clutch tests-all good.

Any comments/suggestions are well appreciated.

THanks

tdi_torgs

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5spd
Yeah, I read that post. The little plastic piece that holds the shifter cable is fine, it's a little corroded from battery acid (has been since I got the car), but still in one piece and functioning normally.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hi! I had same problem late fall(when it started to get to freezing)- I ended up changing gearbox oil-everything has been fine since-about 149k when I changed oil-now have 156k. I used an Amsoil synthetic- I can't remember weight, but I have extra Qt. in garage I can check in morning. I also did some posts about this when I did it- just click on my user name to find all my posts- they're in there somewhere.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Change the gear oil. Redline MTL is the schiznit for these.

Adjustment.

car in neutral

There are two cables. The upper one closest to you is held on by a 13mm nut.

loosen that just a bit.

push the slack out of the cable by pressing it towards the firewall. JUST a FEW MM, not all she'll move. That will solve the problem.

Go for drive.

tdi_torgs

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5spd
O.K., fixed it. Turns out that the clutch pedal return spring is gone. So the overall pedal travel for the clutch was not enough range to actually dis-engage the clutch. So i bled the "slave" cyl. for the clutch and the pedal popped up about 9 inches! Now I have travel to dis-engage the clutch. I have no idea where the spring for the clutch pedal went- apparently the just pop out sometimes (plastic clips keep the spring in place). Now it is all good, I just need to buy a new spring.

Thanks for your responses.