Headrest removal without screwdriver?

JimmyFrack

TDI
A5 2010 Jetta TDI & 2012 Sportwagen
Is there any reason to have to use a tool to remove the rear head rests? As far as safety or anything goes? I just picked up my wagen a few weeks ago and when I realized I had to use a screw driver to remove the headrests it kind of stinks. I was thinking of just clipping the little wire latch that holds the head rest in but I thought I might check to make sure there wasn't something I was missing why keeping the head rests locked in was a good idea?

Thank you

Jim

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
On my 2010 JSW I just push in the little tab on the right side and they slide right up and out. Did VW change the design for 2012?

I don't have any problem removing the three back headrests, it takes just a few seconds, and I do it at least once a week.

atw

TDI
2012 JSW Platinum Grey Pano DSG
I used the screw driver once and have not had to use it again. They now remove with just a push on the little tabs.

JimmyFrack

TDI
A5 2010 Jetta TDI & 2012 Sportwagen
Yeah they changed it, my 2010 sedan is just the little button but the new car is a button and a small slot that you have to put a screw driver in

On my 2010 JSW I just push in the little tab on the right side and they slide right up and out. Did VW change the design for 2012?

I don't have any problem removing the three back headrests, it takes just a few seconds, and I do it at least once a week.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
Yeah they changed it, my 2010 sedan is just the little button but the new car is a button and a small slot that you have to put a screw driver in
Very strange...take a perfectly good design that works well and screw it up.

What was VW thinking?

grnmtnjj

Veteran Member
TDI
Retired a 2000 Jetta with 241kmi. Now own a 2012 JSW in Toffee Brown.
I'm away from my car so I can't give you photos. However, you can remove the spring clamps that lock into the posts. First, remove the headrests with the screwdriver. Then, looking into the hole, use the screwdriver to push the release. Pay attention to the moving part. That part can be pried out with a screwdriver or a needle-nose pliers. If you are careful, you can pull out the entire assembly (plastic clip and metal spring), which is what you want to do.
I did this for not only the center headrest, but also the two on the outside.
If it's not enough info, post back and I'll post pictures when I get back in the states next week.
This is an easy mod that everyone should do.

TDI
none
I found a reasonably simple solution. Take a steel file and file down the
bottom edge of the slot on the left rod (the rod that requires the screwdriver). File a gentle slope and the spring catch will just slide past the groove in the rod. Going slowly, it took me about 10 minutes per headrest. No more screwdriver. Just depress the one
spring catch on the right rod, and it pulls all the way out.

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
bottom edge of the slot on the left rod (the rod that requires the screwdriver). File a gentle slope and the spring catch will just slide past the groove in the rod. Going slowly, it took me about 10 minutes per headrest. No more screwdriver. Just depress the one
I'm doing this today - thanks!!! I was at work and a friend brought me a piece of furniture that required my to go into full bed mode. Alas, I didn't have any tools! Luckily I found a floor staple and managed to fight the card headrests out. I don't ever want to go through that hassle again. :mad:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Invest in a Dremel, it's well worth it for jobs like this.

Although it appears I need to do this for my center headrest, the other headrests pop right out.:D

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
I used my dremel tool and indeed it worked perfectly! I don't know why VW designed the new models this way, but I defeated it quickly and easily.

Thanks to the forum for great advice!

Personne

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Golf Wagon DSG
I hate to be that guy but this subject has been visited many time before. Use the search button. Stop spoonfeeding.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I hate to be that guy but this subject has been visited many time before. Use the search button. Stop spoonfeeding.
well some are new to the VW and their quirks. I found it irritating I needed to look into the owners manual 30 minutes after we got home to removed head rests :p. Genius move VW :rolleyes:

C

Central Scrutinizer

I fixed mine after removing them for the first time. Had nightmare visions of screwdrivers poking through upholstery. Easy 10 minute job; so much better now.

BayArea

TDI
2012 Golf DSG TDI 4dr
I need to do the same, new 2012 TDI Golf and my son needs his car seat for a few more years. Anyone with a seat will likely be as annoyed as I was, thanks for the tips all, I just joined and am looking forward to posting the results after I get my VCDS and stop the thing from honking when I lock the doors!

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
Ooo, gotta do this! Will make carseat installations so much easier!! Thanks, guys! I think I'll go for the file/dremel version of the DIY. :)

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Ooo, gotta do this! Will make carseat installations so much easier!! Thanks, guys! I think I'll go for the file/dremel version of the DIY. :)
Why? It takes all of 15 minutes to remove the pin and I guess you could later put it back in for whatever reason. K.I.S.S.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
Thanks for that link, Kombi.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-make-rear-headrest-removal-easy.228400/

No need to mess with files or Dremel grinders; just remove the pins and springs and put them away - they can be replaced later if really necessary.

A long shaft screwdriver with a 1/4" blade makes the job easy.

(I was going to upload a pic but apparently that's not possible here - that explains all the dead pic links!)

Just got a 2012 Golf Wagon a.k.a. Jetta Sportwagen and those back seat headrests really block the view to the rear. I seldom have passengers in the back anyway.