Driving from the WEST....?? anyone?

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
My wife and I are planning on attending and will be driving from Colorado...Looks will we drive I-80 across the upper midwest into Cleveland then on to Maine from there...

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Not quite as far, but driving I80W from Iowa...

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Driving from San Diego to the Fest. Google says the shortest route is Vegas to Denver to Detroit to Montreal to Newry, Maine. Just over 3000 miles.
That may be the shortest route, but I would suggest staying on the US side of the border as fuel is cheaper, not to mention food and lodging. Of course if the plan is sightseeing, then have at it!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Driving from San Diego to the Fest. Google says the shortest route is Vegas to Denver to Detroit to Montreal to Newry, Maine. Just over 3000 miles.
Going for the "Longest Distance Driven to the Fest" award, now are we? ;)

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
In Ontario, the average price for Diesel is about $1.10 CDN per liter (about $3.17 per Gal USD) in Quebec it is even higher

However, depending on when you pass through Toronto on the 401 (between Windsor and Quebec), I may join up with you :cool:

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Anchorage, AK to Newry, ME. 4342 miles.
Any Alaskans making the trip?

That is fantastic! Would you be interested in doing a slide show of your trip for people to check out at Fest?

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Sorry to disappoint, but I used to live in Alaska and was merely posing that possibility.:confused:

Perhaps there will be a Fest in Alaska someday and everyone in attendance will break the distance record.:)

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Wow..lots of folk traveling for this....this cool. We did consider the Can route but we decided the passport hassle etc....

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Wow..lots of folk traveling for this....this cool. We did consider the Can route but we decided the passport hassle etc....
Have both a passport and a passport card, so that is not a problem. Anita grew up in Montreal and still has family and friends there. San Diego is right on the Mexican border, so I just keep my passport card in my wallet - just like my drivers license. Current diesel price is about $2.80 here. Even at $3.20 in Ontario, it is about the same when converted to U.S. dollars. Plan is to do some touring in the Atlantic provinces after the fest. Return trip will be further south, just to be different and to visit her mother/brother in San Antonio.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The $3.20 per gallon for Diesel in Ontario is already converted to USD, so it is more expensive than in the US. The other thing is the highway used between Detroit/Windsor and Quebec (highway 401) has been named the busiest highway in the world (more traffic flow per hour than in Los Angeles). If you happen to hit the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) at the wrong time, all 16 lanes can be at a standstill and it may take you about 2 hours to get through the city. Outside the GTA though, the drive is fast, fun and the scenery is nice.

MrVermin
BTW, I plotted my trip and my GPS is taking me to Montreal and then down to the US for the Fest.

BTW2: The price of Diesel jumps about $0.45 per Gallon USD the moment you cross into Quebec, so try to fill up in Ontario if using the Canadian route.

Last edited:

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Have both a passport and a passport card, so that is not a problem. Anita grew up in Montreal and still has family and friends there. San Diego is right on the Mexican border, so I just keep my passport card in my wallet - just like my drivers license. Current diesel price is about $2.80 here. Even at $3.20 in Ontario, it is about the same when converted to U.S. dollars. Plan is to do some touring in the Atlantic provinces after the fest. Return trip will be further south, just to be different and to visit her mother/brother in San Antonio.
Sounds like a whirlwind trip....sounds great..

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
A funny side note...We've only had our TDI for about 2 months or so, and we just bought another....I guess i have the Diesel addiction now...We have twins now..same color and all, just 1 5spd and 1 Auto....Can't talk my wife into us each driving a car to the Fest...oh well...

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
....San Diego to Newry ME

You may wish to consider the trip diversion at Cornwall, ON, the fuel fillup in Deseronto is the Cheapest (20 minutes earlier).

Cross the border at Cornwall, and go across via US 11, bypasses the high prices in PQ for fuel .

Gas buddy, posts Fuel for Hogansburg, NY (NY State Road 39), as USD $2.829 per US Gallon . (Bears Den Trading Post)

I suspect similar pricing at "Truck Stop #9' just down the road
Truck Stop #9,#9 Fuels,Grays Fuels

759 NY-37
Hogansburg, NY 13655

Vs Price of Diesel in Montreal and Environs is CAD$1.039.

The Conversion from US GAL to CAD / L is at this web page http://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gasoline-Conversion-Calculator-litres-gallons-us.htm

So depending on the exchange rate (I dont expect it to change in 3 weeks Currently US 0.76 = 1 CAD), the price for the same fuel (If bought in NY and converted to Sherbrook (Magog) prices would be USD$3.21 per US gallon.

Its up to you, although NY State Fuel taxes are relatively high, they are less than Quebec.

NY $2.82 vs PQ $3.21

~R

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just an FYI, the price of Diesel in the GTA and surrounding area has dropped to below the $1 per liter mark, so that makes it about $3 per US Gallon after conversion.

MrVermin

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
....South Side of Great Lakes vs North Side L Ontario

The trip through Detroit/ Windsor and on to Cornwall, ON is a dffferent experience than going Detroit - Toledo - Cleveland - Erie - Buffalo - Syracuse Massena NY. Both have their merits. While Detroit - Montreal is shorter, it is also more expensive for Fuel , Accommodation, and Food (IMHO):).

[Add Image for map Massena, NY to Newry, ME]

Trip Advisor / Gas Buddy can be helpful as well.
~TiT.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Have fun. Matt and I already did this trip 2 years ago and couldn't afford it again this year. Too busy opening the shop. It's a gorgeous trip...you really should go out of your way for at least one spectacular National Park if you can spare it. I've recently done Painted Desert, Badlands, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. All of those are awesome. :) There are probably others on your route. Green and White Mountains in New England are great. Northern Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota are gorgeous but mosquito filled late in the summer.

:)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have fun. Matt and I already did this trip 2 years ago and couldn't afford it again this year. Too busy opening the shop. It's a gorgeous trip...you really should go out of your way for at least one spectacular National Park if you can spare it. I've recently done Painted Desert, Badlands, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. All of those are awesome. :) There are probably others on your route. Green and White Mountains in New England are great. Northern Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota are gorgeous but mosquito filled late in the summer.

:)
Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP in Utah are both must-sees, as well. :cool:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We saw Mesa Verde NP in Colorado on a recent trip out west. The Anasazi pueblos there are amazing. Also, while not National Parks, Monument Valley in Utah and and Antelope Canyon in Arizona are magical.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Jon, saw that in another thread (I think). Are you camping? Most I will have is about 8 days before I head home. Plan is to start off from Portland, Me - supposed to pick up Anita there (if she doesn't wimp out). Head up U.S. 1 with a couple of stops on the way. Any pointers?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jon, saw that in another thread (I think). Are you camping? Most I will have is about 8 days before I head home. Plan is to start off from Portland, Me - supposed to pick up Anita there (if she doesn't wimp out). Head up U.S. 1 with a couple of stops on the way. Any pointers?
There is plenty of room at the house if you want to save on camping or hotel rooms, we'd love to have the company. I can set you up with any camping equipment you could imagine if you don't want to be freighted for the trip from out west. We live 1.25 hours north of Portland on the coast (3 miles from route 1).

Same goes for Jon or other long time and well contributing board members.

Aaron (of Boraparts fame) and another are staying over before their flight out but we have 3 spare bedrooms now that the kids are gone. Oh, and Maine lobster is cheap this time of year and we have everything to cook it with. Just sayin'.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
There is plenty of room at the house if you want to save on camping or hotel rooms, we'd love to have the company. I can set you up with any camping equipment you could imagine if you don't want to be freighted for the trip from out west. We live 1.25 hours north of Portland on the coast (3 miles from route 1).

Same goes for Jon or other long time and well contributing board members.

Aaron (of Boraparts fame) and another are staying over before their flight out but we have 3 spare bedrooms now that the kids are gone. Oh, and Maine lobster is cheap this time of year and we have everything to cook it with. Just sayin'.

Really great that you're willing to offer a place for people to stay. How far is it from your place to the Fest? My wife and I have 2 nights booked near the Fest, but meeting someone new and exploring more of Maine sounds cool...

Joe

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Just to clarify, I'm staying at the Fest hotel and the offer is only to established members that I know from the board and for the time outside of the Fest dates. I have no desire to turn the house into a hotel full of unknown people or take away from the Fest in any capacity. No offense, but I thought I should clarify.

Some people are staying after the Fest to visit our scenic coastline and surrounding areas. Perhaps once a rapport is established the offer will pertain to others for future events, but for now that's the way it'll be. Sorry for any confusion.

I've known Jon for years and known John for years without never meeting in person due to proximity. Many other board members fit into one of these categories but often I forget how large this board is in terms of membership.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Just to clarify, I'm staying at the Fest hotel and the offer is only to established members that I know from the board and for the time outside of the Fest dates. I have no desire to turn the house into a hotel full of unknown people or take away from the Fest in any capacity. No offense, but I thought I should clarify.

Some people are staying after the Fest to visit our scenic coastline and surrounding areas. Perhaps once a rapport is established the offer will pertain to others for future events, but for now that's the way it'll be. Sorry for any confusion.

I've known Jon for years and known John for years without never meeting in person due to proximity. Many other board members fit into one of these categories but often I forget how large this board is in terms of membership.
Sorry I wasn't assuming you were offering to anyone...I was just saying its cool that there are good people out there. Don't worry, i wasn't inviting myself to you your place...Just made me think it will be interesting to meet folks from out that way...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It is always good to meet new TDI enthusiasts and we'll definitely meet at the Fest and I'd be more than happy to help you expore our state. We're pretty simple up here though, we're the only to have one state as a neighbor and can only afford one syllable. :D