Serpentine belt tensioner replacement

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
So I have done a search about my serpentine tensioner and there is no how to for this part, just wanted to know what size of wrenches are needed and how and go about replacing it. Mine is bouncing like crazy and the dust boot around the shock is missing. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If it is "bouncing like crazy" you most likely need a new alternator pulley too. IIRC, 15mm to release the tension, and the attachment bolts are 13mm.

Last edited:

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
x2 you probably want to do the alternator pulley and put in a new belt. Its an easy job maybe an hour start to finish. If you are gonna do the alternator pulley you will need a special tool. One bit stops the alternator from spinning while the other bit removes the threaded alternator pulley. I got one from Metalnerd.

http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm Part Number MN3400

here's a link for a how to for the BEW engine(which is what I have) ALH is a little different. The tensioner is different and there is an extra idler pulley.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200104

I would just replace everything while your in there...tensioner, belt, alternator pulley, idler pulley. its a tight space but not too hard of a job to do

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If it is "bouncing like crazy" you most likely need a new alternator pulley too. IIRC, 15mm to release the tension, and the attachment bolts are 13mm.
That would be 16 mm to release the tension on the tensioner... Yes, you do need the special bits to remove the old alternator pulley... see http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm for a Canadian supplier of pulley and bits...

Yuri

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That would be 16 mm to release the tension on the tensioner...
Hmmm… My Bentley says 15mm, the Golf isn't here at the moment to verify, and I tossed the broken one. Maybe they come in both 15mm and 16mm varieties.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
16mm fits the hundreds of tensioners I have taken belts off of...;)

As far as the tensioner itself, there are 3 13mm headed bolts to remove, its pretty straight forward. One bolt is longer in the bottom as it has a thicker portion of the tensioner to go through.

To check the alt. pulley, use a thin screwdriver to hold the internal fan blade still while you gently try to turn the alternator pulley by hand both directions. If it doesn't slip counterclockwise your pulley is locked up causing the bouncing.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dogdots ^^^^ what he said!

Also, tip, going back with the tensioner, be careful to NOT overtighten any of those three bolts... spec torque only! They are screwed into the aluminum engine accessory bracket!

The roller on the tensioner itself can be bad causing some bouncing. And, of course, if the boot is gone, there's a good chance all the oil and gas have left the tensioner too! I'd also consider replacing the other smaller roller down next to the AC compessor. It's life is limited too!

I hope you find the ALT pulley to be just fine! .... let us know!

Tussey

TDI
'99 Jetta MkIV Black 5-Speed
...but 80/20 if it's "bouncing like crazy" it's the pulley's fault, NOT the tensioner.
None-TDI example, but it shows the general idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXYP1CmL9Q
+1 Replace your alternator pulley and the tensioner otherwise you will have this kind of failure while driving, and you'll lose your belt along with power steering, A/C, and alternator.