Help me maintain my abused 06 golf mk4

Jgreek

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2006 Golf TDI
Long story short, this car was treated horribly before I bought it. 270 kms and barely serviced (just oil changes and alignments once in a while). So my questions are...
1. What are essential things I need to check, clean and/or replace to keep my baby going.

2. Any mods I can do to keep everything running clean?

3. Frequency of oil change and things of that sort.

4. Anything else I should know?

P.s. Everything seems to be running fine but I do feel that I should be getting higher mileage

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
Just keep up with the maintenance schedule, and regular oil changes. Since the schedule only really goes up to 100k miles, you can basically just repeat the schedule after 100k

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
The absolute first thing you need to do is a complete timing belt/water pump service as you are well past due at 270k kilometers. Have your cam inspected for excess wear while doing this service.

Change your fluids and filters (e.g., oil, tranny), replace air filter, brake fluid flush (every two years regardless of mileage), check/test your coolant (flush and replace as necessary - good to do with your timing belt service), check serpentine belt (replace as needed), check power steering fluid if it suits you, maybe check your EGR and manifold for carbon build-up, check your brake pads/rotors, have it scanned with VCDS for codes and address any issues accordingly. Doing these items mostly gets you back to baseline.

If your car has been as neglected as you say, my opinion is that you will be investing a good chunk of change to take care of the basics. Get to know the car and ensure it is running properly before you attempt to throw more money at it with modifications and possibly compound any unknown issues and confound the diagnostic process.

Lastly, read all that you can from this forum. There is a wealth of very helpful information about your car.

Jgreek

TDI
The absolute first thing you need to do is a complete timing belt/water pump service as you are well past due at 270k kilometers. Have your cam inspected for excess wear while doing this service.

Change your fluids and filters (e.g., oil, tranny), replace air filter, brake fluid flush (every two years regardless of mileage), check/test your coolant (flush and replace as necessary - good to do with your timing belt service), check serpentine belt (replace as needed), check power steering fluid if it suits you, maybe check your EGR and manifold for carbon build-up, check your brake pads/rotors, have it scanned with VCDS for codes and address any issues accordingly. Doing these items mostly gets you back to baseline.

If your car has been as neglected as you say, my opinion is that you will be investing a good chunk of change to take care of the basics. Get to know the car and ensure it is running properly before you attempt to throw more money at it with modifications and possibly compound any unknown issues and confound the diagnostic process.

Lastly, read all that you can from this forum. There is a wealth of very helpful information about your car.
Exactly the info I needed, I appreciate that. I should get a chunk of it done in the next two weeks.

914fan

Veteran Member
TDI
1997, Jetta, Green
Also check normal wear items. CVs, tie rods, suspension bushings, wheel bearings, and check hoses for cracks / swelling

Jgreek

TDI
Will do. Also, there seems to be a weakening of the front suspension, any idea if this is common?

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
At the mileage of your car, the suspension can get tired and a bit sloppy. PLENTY of information on suspension refreshing contained in this forum.