code P0402

breenybaby

TDI
2002 jetta
check engine light came on (02 tdi jetta) auto zone reader says Code P0402 "EGR excessive flow detected". Can someone tell me what this means and can a novice remedy the problem? Car runs fine. Thanks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
also, just to rule it out -has your car been modified with an EGR block off plate or a race pipe?

JetJet

TDI
Jetta TDI
My new 2002 Jetta

Greetings, I just purchased a 2002 Jetta with only 126K miles it gets 46MPG,it has a K&M filter, 3" stainless steel exhaust system, 3" stainless steel air flow to the inter cooler, an EGR bypass and no exhaust recycling canister. My question is related to the post where you asked if he had a race pipe or an EGR bypass. He was having problems with codes P402 EGR flow excessive detected and p0234 engine over boost.
On my new 2002 Jetta I have the exact codes come up, I can clear them with my OBDll tester, but the codes tend to trigger when I get on the peddle around 3K RPM's. I want to correctly complete the conversion, but I need help and suggestions from TDI experienced owners. The previous owner didn't do the conversion correctly. by the way I have fixed vacuum leaks and incorrectly routed vacuum lines. Again my question is what do you recommend or can you lead me to a source that can help me complete this conversion correctly and to avoid triggering the mentioned codes. Thanks

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
Mine just threw this code today. I just put a turbo back straight pipe a couple days ago and it threw the code. I read it happened to someone else on the forum right after too. Coincidence?

rice rocketeer

TDI
2002 Golf 2dr 1 owner/driver car (only options is Cruz and A/C) 2014 Passat Highline
Follow up:

Checked EGR, looks clean. (EGR was turned down via vag com after first intake EGR cleaning 100,000km ago) No carbon build up. Just a little oily. Cleaned MAF with electrical cleaner spray. Dirty solvent was coming out. Just a quick first step. I did this a few years back and it solved the problem. We'll see what happens...

Have a great weekend everyone :)