Flashing glow plug and CEL

JeffV

While driving to work (2002 Golf TDI) in subzero temps today, I got a flashing glow plug light and a CEL. Engine was running OK, so I continued the drive. On my way home, the car started up fine, but after about twenty seconds the flashing glow plug and CEL returned. Stopped for fuel -- same thing on startup.

I read the thread on flashing glow plug, but I don't think this is a brake light/relay switch issue. The cruise control works fine, and the brake lights all come on properly.

I have a long commute -- 170 miles round trip -- and it might be two weeks before I can get the car to a dealer. Is it safe to drive in the interim, or should I park it until it can get looked at?

Waiting on the collective wisdom...

Jeff Verona

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I don't know how big Iowa is, but there are 3 members with Vag-com that you can contact to pull/clear the code for you. Just look at the Vag-com list linked at the top of this page.

JeffV

No tuning box; straight stock except for the EGR mod.

I might be able to get an auto parts place to pull the code for me. The VAG-COM people and my mechanic are fifty miles away. Work is eighty-five miles in a different direction. I'm probably going to have to drive the car, at least some. My question is, will I be risking substantial damage if it drive it more than the minimum?

Jeff

JeffV

Well, the problem seems to be a cold weather gremlin. After leaving the car alone for the weekend while the temperature rose from -15ºF to +20º, it started up fine and showed no error lights. Haven't had any since. After reading through several recent related threads, I've concluded it was probably a low-resistance error in the relay due to the cold weather.

Jeff