www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 12th, 2018, 11:29   #1
tdiblackout

Default 01 Dangerous Handling- Need Ideas Please

Been a while since I checked in so I'll give a quick update and get to the issue.
The replacement trans has been flawless, couldn't be happier.
Finally fixed a valve cover gasket and now my car is not leaving oil puddles everywhere!
Recently replaced my Raxles at no cost (this is why I bought from them). Put in new ball joints, brakes, etc..

The problem: The car feels like it wants to tip over with any turn of the wheel at speed. It feels very top heavy sort of. Squirly and loose. I thought the shocks/struts were gone, but shop says no. I asked them to search suspension for loose/broken stuff,...nothing. Car has new A arms, ball joints. Koni yellows are getting a little long in the tooth?
Could it be alignment? I just had it done and it still feels weird.
Tires? Like if I was running them flat and they give no side to side resistance. But they aren't low.

I feels like the rear, but hard to say. If the shocks had no more expansion resistance, I think this is what is would feel like.

Any ideas?
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:43   #2
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Rear axle bushings?
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 11:46   #3
tdiblackout

They are on the list of never replaced. At 260k maybe they need to be, thanks.
Old March 12th, 2018, 13:41   #4
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
Rear axle bushings?
X2. At higher miles it's almost a given they are shot. Makes for very noticeable quirkiness in crosswind situations typically and steering weirdness in general.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 15:47   #5
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

Try pushing your car sideways right above the rear tires. If the car moves more than normal tire flex, it's almost certainly the beam bushings.
Old March 12th, 2018, 17:04   #6
alfacanuck

+1 on the rear bushings, they can get very soft. If nothing work with front susp. then most likely suspect. If you can borrow the kit to replace its not a bad job, just respect the orientation when they go back in.
alfacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:36   #7
tdiblackout

Ordered new bushings. Will advise post installation, thanks
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:52   #8
UhOh
Veteran Member

You ordered Cupra Rs, yes?
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 17:39   #9
tdiblackout

yes, thanks
Old March 13th, 2018, 19:14   #10
branforddiesel

The car I just bought has the same feel. Like when you drive on a metal grate bridge. Shop told me rear axle beam was rusted and should be replaced as well as control arms.
branforddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:16   #11
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Maybe it is rusted, but you can oil it with preservative sprays and replace the rear bushings. And find a shop you can trust. Or better, learn to do your own wrenching.

Cheers!

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 03:37   #12
UhOh
Veteran Member

Depends on the extent of the rust. If it's a safety issue I'd look to go by their recommendation. Broken suspension bits due to rusting out aren't all that uncommon (seems to happen quite a bit with springs).

Superficial rust ain't an issue, in which case do as PH suggests (and a second opinion on more costly repairs is always a good idea as well).
Old March 15th, 2018, 13:17   #13
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

My car has no body roll at all to speak of: Koni Yellow, 1 weight up on springs, full suspension refresh including rear axle bushings.

I was on my home and a car zipped into my lane out of an alley, I stomped it and did a tight zig zag to avoid hitting the car coming out of the alley and the parked car on the other side: it was like the car was on rails.
Wavetrac LSD, Bosch 230'a with RC4.5, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 14:17   #14
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

I might ask if this came on all of a sudden, gradually or is the car a recent acquisition.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 02:52   #15
UhOh
Veteran Member

You might want to take it in for an alignment. Thinking that perhaps you're experiencing over-steer: the rear is being too active/sensitive to steering (this would be, I'd think, also a symptom of/from bad rear axle bushings).