04.5 runs until put into gear?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
The car will start but as soon as it’s put in gear it wants to stall out almost instantly. I’m doing a new turbo and the lag/balance shaft delete. Any other suggestions to check out while I’m in there getting greasy ?

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Found the culprit of the not running now. ****ing drive chain for the balance shaft snapped along with finding piece of the tensioner in the oil pan

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Well, at least you were ready for it ;)
Truth now I just have to get the sprocket off the crank as many have said they snap with the puller and this one did.

Anyone know how hot you need to get the new sprocket to put it on?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
500 F for 30 minutes

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Ok so I did the balance shaft delete and did a new pump, chain, and crank sprocket. I’m not sure if it’s 15w40 or 5w40 that should go in the engine but it currently has 15w40 in it and the oil pressure light blinks. I made sure I tapped and inserted the bsm oil port as instructed? Anyone have any advice here

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
You stated earlier that the engine was stalling due to the BSM chain failing. The engine does not stall due to BSM chain failure, it seizes due to lack of oil pressure because the BSM drives the oil pump.

I would expect severe bearing damage and turbo failure if the BSM chain failed and the car was operated for more than a few seconds. I suspect your lack of oil pressure is due to bearing failure.
Oil was clean, no metal flaking, and no sparkles in oil. If there was bearing damage I’d have seen something in the oil

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Did you take crank bearing #1 off when removing the crank sprocket?
If so did you inspect that bearing?
Probably not necessary, but just being a little anal, I prime the new oil pump and make sure I see oil coming out the front bearing when I perform a BSM delete

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Did you take crank bearing #1 off when removing the crank sprocket?
If so did you inspect that bearing?
Probably not necessary, but just being a little anal, I prime the new oil pump and make sure I see oil coming out the front bearing when I perform a BSM delete
No I didn’t pull the cap off, I may do so I may pull it back apart but I’m gonna get an external gauge on it first to check pressure that way

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure you plugged the proper hole. There are 3 together. One is large (dump to pan). One is threaded (oil pan bolt hole) the other is next to threaded hole which is the oil supply to balance shaft. This needs to be drilled out, tapped and plugged

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Make sure you plugged the proper hole. There are 3 together. One is large (dump to pan). One is threaded (oil pan bolt hole) the other is next to threaded hole which is the oil supply to balance shaft. This needs to be drilled out, tapped and plugged

It’s the right hole so unless the plug somehow ripped o with pressure then that’s it

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
It's generally like that when no oil is circulating. Bearing metal just melts and squeezes out a bit at the edges.

What was the cause of the stalling if not engine seizure?

Think you may be correct in assuming that the bearings failed. No oil pressure light till the car is warmed up. Once it’s at operating temps and over 1200rpm the oil pressure/ stop light come on and from my reading it’s seems that, this instance is indicator of bad bearings