VCDS logging problems

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Windows 7, 64 bit laptop with the latest VCDS version, I can see the measuring blocks fine but when I do a log and save the file and use Jollygreengiant's log plotting utility, I get a blank page. I have found that: ..1. The files saved in the VCDS log folder is always 1K bytes. I think it should be bigger than that with 10 seconds to 1 min logs.. 2. The log file saved is .txt not .csv format Anyone have a clue what the problem is?

Last edited:

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
In Measuring Blocks, are you clicking on "Add to Log"? This just grabs a snapshot. You need to click on Log then Start to save a CSV file over time.

http://ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/m-blocks.html
Yes, I did click start, and after the duration of th log, I clicked stop and then saved it as a .csv file (default, no choice). When I go to the VCDS log folder, it is always a 1kb .txt file, I've tried more than a dozen times with the same results.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, I did click start, and after the duration of th log, I clicked stop and then saved it as a .csv file (default, no choice). When I go to the VCDS log folder, it is always a 1kb .txt file, I've tried more than a dozen times with the same results.
It's possible the file is being saved to an unexpected location on your hard drive. Try searching your computer for *.csv files. Also, if the correct data is saved as a "txt" file and it is comma delineated, that file can simply be renamed to whatever.csv and everything will work.
And yes, most any log file will be larger than 1k.
hth

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
There's no problem with different versions in different folders, but the logs generated by a particular version will end up in the Logs sub-folder for that particular version. My guess is you're looking in the wrong place.

-Uwe-