Hybrids - 1, Diesel - 0

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
Biodiesel - 1 Hybrids - 0

Thats because of emissions not efficiency.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P125244.asp

See "clean diesels" that "meet air-quality standards" can get tax credits. The emissions equipment required to do that will probably make them less efficient.

Also, getting 45-50 mpg on biodiesel is 10-fold better than getting equal mileage in a car running on gasoline and semi-powered by nasty nickel-metal hydride batteries. Doesnt have much to do about tax credits but its relevant. Those tax credits are running out really fast so dont beat yourself up for not buying a hybrid.

mattymx

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My work pays people $100/month to drive hybrids. that is good for them, but I still would never drive one. They have absolutly no life in them.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Matty, You might chagne your mind if you took the time to test drive one. I enjoyed driving my 2000 Honda Insight. Really like the gauges in the car. Super quite and handled pretty good.

I never got a tax break though.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
mattymx said:
My work pays people $100/month to drive hybrids. that is good for them, but I still would never drive one. They have absolutly no life in them.
Please tell us where you work so that I can ensure that I never patronize them. What's next, your job telling you who to vote for?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The Title should be Hybrids -1, Daimler-Chrysler BlueTec -1, Volkswagen Diesel - 0.

As the 2007 Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec (with PM filter & urea injection) has a $1300 tax credit.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
20IndigoBlue02 said:
The Title should be Hybrids -1, Daimler-Chrysler BlueTec -1, Volkswagen Diesel - 0.

As the 2007 Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec (with PM filter & urea injection) has a $1300 tax credit.
So in the case of the urea injection you *do* urinate in the fuel tank?

RealMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
Gothmolly said:
Please tell us where you work so that I can ensure that I never patronize them. What's next, your job telling you who to vote for?
I didn't hear him say that his work FORCES him to drive a hybrid, merely that it provides an incentive. It's nice that there's a couple companies that are trying to encourage at least a little environmental responsibility.

My work provides buspasses as a taxable benefit, greatly reducing the cost. Would you say that my job is telling me that I HAVE to take the bus?

In any case, screw tax credits. Raise the price of gas through taxes, and reduce personal and property taxes to offset it. Then you have a built-in tax break by driving smarter and less.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Bob_Fout said:
Bob, have those stickers I've seen on many vehicles actually been illustrating the urea injection technique? :p

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Bob_Fout said:
I wish, but urine contains too much water.

The caveat of urine injection is the frequent servicing required to refill the urea solution (I heard estimates of every 10k)

PapaJetta

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Gothmolly said:
Please tell us where you work so that I can ensure that I never patronize them.
A guy I know recently got hired by Google, and I heard about this:

"Google applies its spirit of innovation to the arena of green transportation, with its "Fuel-Efficient Vehicle Incentive Program." The company offers its full-time U.S.-based employees a $5,000 subsidy toward the purchase of a vehicle with an EPA fuel economy rating of 45 mpg or higher. Google contributes $2,500 toward leased vehicles. To qualify the vehicle must also be rated a Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV). Three hybrid cars qualify for the program: Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid, and Honda Insight. The company places no limit on the number of employees who can take advantage of the program. Google also runs an extensive schedule of low-emission shuttle buses to and from its Silicon Valley headquarters."

This got me thinking: What is the EPA rating for TDIs? I'm sure, though, the PZEV thingy would probably cause diesels not to make it on the Google list (which also excludes diesels from getting the HOV lane stickers)...plus you can't even buy them new in this state.

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
Tax break for new diesels for real?

JustLuckey said:
I stumbled on to this today: Up to $3400 Tax credit on Clean Diesel vehicles (basically starting for 07 models that meet the new emissions standards).

http://www.dieselforum.org/fileadmin/templates/Resources/LDTax.pdf

-JustLuckey
It seems to read that there is a tax incentive for buying diesel:

http://www.dieselforum.org/policy-insider/fuel-efficiency/federal-clean-diesel-tax-credit/

Can someone clarify if this includes VW's? Thanks