New 'City' Brand VW (non TDI) Canada only

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
New 'City' Brand Golf/Jetta - Canada only

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006VW to crash entry-level party with Canada-only models

VANCOUVER - Turning around a global automaker is a little like turning around a supertanker. It takes patience, must be planned well in advance, and is not for the faint of heart.
Since taking over as Volkswagen AG Chief Executive in 2002, Bernd Pischetsrieder has taken a hands-on approach to rid the German automaker of some heavy and unnecessary baggage.To that end, he recently cancelled the ambitious but ill-conceived haeton model, the high-end, high-powered luxury sedan VW positioned against BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Audi. Industry observers questioned the logic in taking the VW brand — founded on the notion of "the people’s car" — up- market. Anemic Phaeton sales supported that doubt.

Pischetsrieder has also made vast improvements to the automaker’s quality control measures. Reliability and production quality issues have hurt VW sales over the last half-decade, as have creeping prices that, rightly or wrongly, have created the impression that VWs are no longer inexpensive, economical cars for the everyday man and woman.
Two new models hitting Canadian VW showrooms next month will go a long way towards returning the company to its people’s car roots.
A marketing slogan for the 2007 City Golf and the 2007 City Jetta is “Transit for the masses." And with base prices of $14,900 and $16,900 respectively, there’s some truth in that advertising.
The all-new ‘City’ brand is a Canadian-only designation, but one that Pieschetsrieder and his boardroom will be watching with great interest. If it is successful here, VW could take the City model line global. Judging from the huge success of the relaunched Rabbit in North America this year, expect the entry-level City Golf and City Jetta to sell like Bavarian sausages during Oktoberfest.
Both models come standard with ABS, a highly desirable braking system available on only a handful of similarly priced cars. Both models feature a spirited 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine producing 115 horsepower, mated to a standard manual five-speed or an optional four-speed automatic transmission.
And both models will send shockwaves — at least in the Canadian marketplace — through Honda, Nissan and Toyota boardrooms.
At a sneak preview of the City Golf and City Jetta to a handful of Vancouver automotive journalists last week, VW Canada executive vice- president John White laid out the company’s marketing and pricing plans for the City models, and left little doubt that VW dealers across the country could be seeing their lots filled with Japanese model trade-ins in the next year.
“We’ve positioned the City Golf against the Toyota Yaris, the Nissan Versa and the Honda Fit,” White explained. “And the City Jetta against the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra.”
While that sounds a little like picking Tiger Woods for a match play competition, White points to the Rabbit’s successful rebirth.
"(The Rabbit) and the GTI are both sold out until the end of the year," he said , noting the sales target for Rabbits was in the 1,200s and actual sales were in the 1,700s.
Back to that supertanker analogy: the Japanese manufacturers will bear the brunt of the choppy wake created by Pischetsrieder’s hand on the rudder. The only downside of the City Line launch, White acknowledged, is how 2006 Golf and Jetta buyers will respond to the new models and their sub-$20,000 pricing (consider the base 20 06 Golf goes for $22,620 and the 2006 base Jetta for $24,975).
“We’ve worked hard to address that on a number of fronts,” he said, citing price and lease adjustments made on those 2006 models when the City line was confirmed. The City Golf and City Jetta hit dealerships across Canada on October 14.

Last edited:

matt1

TDI
looking for jetta tdi wagon
So....exactly how do they get the price down? Are the cars smaller versions of the Golf and Jetta? Or are they just bare bones (manual locks, windows ect...)?

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
I don't know any more than is in the article. IMHO a bare bones VW without all the bells and whistles would be a nice option. Let's hope there is a TDI version in the works.

Photo is of the City Golf.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
That's an A4, isn't it? That would make sense, because the engine is the same old 2.slow. This is an interesting move - VW has been known for keeping old models around for a long time, especially in developing countries. Not to say that Canada is in the same class as China and Brazil, but VW is still selling the A4 Jetta Wagon in Canada too.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
matt1 said:
So....exactly how do they get the price down? Are the cars smaller versions of the Golf and Jetta? Or are they just bare bones (manual locks, windows ect...)?
The City versions are the old a4-platform cars.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The City Golf and City Jetta are EXACTLY the same as the base A4 Golf and Jetta models with the base 2.slow engine. It is the SAME car. They've probably cut out a few bells and whistles to get the cost down, but the real reason they can sell them so cheap? The tooling is paid for ...

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
So, looking on the bright side... Does this mean MKIV parts from the dealer will become cheaper? Nobody is going to buy cheap cars if parts are expensive...

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
It will be interesting to see where they are building them. If they sent the tooling off to a third world country that could account for a big chunk of the savings. At least VW is publicly admitting to screwing the pooch on quality control and reliability.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
So they will sell A4's in conjunction with A5's?...
That is, an A4 city jetta and an A5 not-so-city jetta?

This sounds like a really bad idea, some big cost-cutting measure I would expect from one of the pacific rim manufacturers, not from somebody like VW.....

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Zero10 said:
So they will sell A4's in conjunction with A5's?...
That is, an A4 city jetta and an A5 not-so-city jetta?

This sounds like a really bad idea, some big cost-cutting measure I would expect from one of the pacific rim manufacturers, not from somebody like VW.....
In South Africa, VW sells the CitiGolf, which is an a1-platform Golf.

In China, VW sells or sold a2-platform Jettas and b2-platform Santanas (think Quantum) long after the corresponding cars were discontinued in the US (which gets new VW designs later than in Germany).

In Mexico, VW sold Sedans (aircooled Beetles) until 2003.

In the US, VW sold the Beetle, a1 platform, and a3 platform convertibles along side the successor platform non-convertibles for years after the non-convertibles discontinued the old platform.

matt1

TDI
Bosley said:
I don't know any more than is in the article. IMHO a bare bones VW without all the bells and whistles would be a nice option. Let's hope there is a TDI version in the works.

Photo is of the City Golf.

Absolutely! VW should really start making the common man's car again. A bare bones TDI would sell like hotcakes in the US. Once gas goes up again(we all know that it will). It needs to be rubber floor boards, manual windows, and manual locks. Thats the direction they should go with this whole "City" program.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
matt1 said:
Absolutely! VW should really start making the common man's car again. A bare bones TDI would sell like hotcakes in the US. Once gas goes up again(we all know that it will). It needs to be rubber floor boards, manual windows, and manual locks. Thats the direction they should go with this whole "City" program.
I disagree.

I don't have a problem if VW wants to sell A1 or A2 or A3 models in the third world. And I don't have a problem if VW wants to sell A5 models in a range of trim levels, from loaded-with-leather to bare-bones... though not with an engine which was obsolete ten years ago.

But if they see a need to compete with the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit, the solution is to develop and sell a North American version of the Lupo or Fox or Polo or SEAT Altea or Leon.

matt1

TDI
TornadoRed said:
I disagree.

I don't have a problem if VW wants to sell A1 or A2 or A3 models in the third world. And I don't have a problem if VW wants to sell A5 models in a range of trim levels, from loaded-with-leather to bare-bones... though not with an engine which was obsolete ten years ago.

But if they see a need to compete with the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit, the solution is to develop and sell a North American version of the Lupo or Fox or Polo or SEAT Altea or Leon.
Don't get me wrong, they can still have all of the options. I just think they should still offer cars that are bare bones at a condiderably lower price than the ones with options.

Take Honda for instance, they used to sell more DX models. Down in the gulf states region, they only send a few to the dealerships because they don't put AC's in them. They make the dealers buy at least a few to have on their lots. The dealer then puts an AC in them(because it so freakin hot down here) and passes that cost down to the customer. After it is all said and done, you are better off buying an LX. It would only be a few hundred dollars more and you get way more options.

If VW would concentrate on making these bare bones cars(TDI's of course), Jetta, Fox,Golf..whatever, and keep them considerably less(maybe around 12k to 15k) they could really give Toyota and Honda a run for their money.

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
matt1 said:
A man after my own heart. How did we get to the point where we can't wind down our own window's and use a key to unlock a door. Less cost up front and less costly repairs in the future. I can foresee a whole new line of threads - ' How do I clean spilled coffee off my rubber matt's!'.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Bosley said:
A man after my own heart. How did we get to the point where we can't wind down our own window's and use a key to unlock a door. Less cost up front and less costly repairs in the future. I can foresee a whole new line of threads - ' How do I clean spilled coffee off my rubber matt's!'.
I couldn't agree more!!

We've got car 'keys' now that can't even be duplicated (toyota/lexus with the RFID transponder chips in them), and 10x the computing power that the Space Shuttle has, just to automatically roll our windows down and lock the doors. Technology level keeps going up while the technical ability of most repair techs trends downward--not a good combination, unless you like your cars like your computers--buy a new one every 3-4 years and throw the old one away (too expensive to repair).

If VW had a minimally-optioned mini-pickup with either the 3 or 4 cylinder TDI motor in it that sold for under $15K, every auto parts store and pizza delivery guy would have one of these things. They would sell like crazy. How do I know this? Because 25-year-old A1 Caddie diesel pickups in good shape are selling for 40-50% of their original MSRP--there is a demand for this type of vehicle and nobody is meeting it in this country.

But alas, VW has abandoned the entry-level auto market that they use to own to the Koreans, Kia and Hyundai.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

matt1

TDI
Simplicity

redmondjp said:
I couldn't agree more!!

We've got car 'keys' now that can't even be duplicated (toyota/lexus with the RFID transponder chips in them), and 10x the computing power that the Space Shuttle has, just to automatically roll our windows down and lock the doors. Technology level keeps going up while the technical ability of most repair techs trends downward--not a good combination, unless you like your cars like your computers--buy a new one every 3-4 years and throw the old one away (too expensive to repair).

If VW had a minimally-optioned mini-pickup with either the 3 or 4 cylinder TDI motor in it that sold for under $15K, every auto parts store and pizza delivery guy would have one of these things. They would sell like crazy. How do I know this? Because 25-year-old A1 Caddie diesel pickups in good shape are selling for 40-50% of their original MSRP--there is a demand for this type of vehicle and nobody is meeting it in this country.

But alas, VW has abandoned the entry-level auto market that they use to own to the Koreans, Kia and Hyundai.

I agree, LESS IS MORE. Funny how the auto industry in the U.S. is a lot like the music industry in the U.S. They keep cramming over-produced and over developed junk down your throats. And then out of the blue something new will come along and change everything.

There are way too many luxury add on's on automobiles today that just aren't neccessary.