Power service large white bottle $4!

dclark

Veteran Member
If anyone is in the Reno / sparks nv area, the habitat for humanity thrift off of pyramid has the large winter formula power service for $4 and it looks like they have around 100 jugs of it.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well ya. There probably never is a reason to use the white bottle in a place like Reno.

dclark

Veteran Member
We had a record year for snow this yeAr. In fact, 20 miles away, they got 5" of snow last night ( yes, on June 9th!).
Living in nearby Carson , I've seen a number of single digit mornings and even a few below zero days.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
There is nothing "wrong" with using Power Service White in the summer - you're still going to get some cetane boost (although not as much), some additional lubricity, and it will do it's thing about water in the fuel tank. The thing about lowering the gell point is kind of wasted, though...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I agree except for the water thing. IMHO, I don't think PS does anything for water. I could be wrong.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The white bottle is an emulsifier/solubilizer so the water is suspended and able to pass through the injection system rather than a demulsifier that can leave the water setting at the bottom of your tank. I've switched from the opti-lube (demulsifier) to the power service because of this and the CR cars not having any water drain anywhere in the system. The opti-lube does a far better job in adding lubricity, you can actually hear the smoother operation but I'm no longer worried with a CP3 in my '15 and my ALH having a known solid pump.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've never used the white PS, I use the silver bottle all year round and have been doing so since 2005. But then it is not too often that I am in any freezing temperatures.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I've never used the white PS, I use the silver bottle all year round and have been doing so since 2005. But then it is not too often that I am in any freezing temperatures.
You don't need to have freezing temperatures to have water-related fuel problems. Fuel pumps and injectors warm or cold do not like water.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I agree except for the water thing. IMHO, I don't think PS does anything for water. I could be wrong.
You are wrong.

The #1 trusted injector guy knows his fuel additives. I'll trust my HPFP off of his opinion, I already trusted him that my injectors wouldn't destroy my engine.

That's a good deal, wish I could buy a couple.

Don't confuse free water with emulsified or solubized water...HUGE Difference!
Emulsified water CANNOT cause damage since it is dispersed and smaller in size than the fuel molecule, it simply hides amongst the Giants if you will and has no effect on the system. It's when you get the water teaming up to form large armies of molecules (de-emulsified) that the water forms large droplets that abraid the sliding surfaces in the system.
The actual concentration when dispersed is so low, it simply is not a factor in terms of wear or corrosion.
De-emulsified fuel, has the very real risk of causing free water to form anywhere in the fuel system. This is the only type of water that can cause damage to the fuel system.
Power service is by far the best additive I have seen, no corrosion, no pitting, no residues or deposits, pristine condition, and now component life is determined by filtration and particulate abrasion...another subject in itself.
You can open an injector and know right away what's been used in terms of emulsifier, de-emulsifier.
Another tidbit, at 30,000 psi the pressure completely prevents water from boiling and causing issues as long as it's emulsified... free water is what causes the damage thru abrasion.