New 2015 Road Noise

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
On my ~700 mile drive back home with my new 2015 I noted how much road noise there is and chalked it up to being on rough highway. However, cruising around town the last couple days I still have to turn up the stereo to drown it out. It's the noise you notice when you switch from fresh paved road to a beat up concrete section.
I have the stock 16" Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus tires. I'm ready to throw money at different ones if it will quiet it down. The cabin noise in my straight piped 02 might be only slightly louder and a lot more tolerable.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Try some different rubber.

Mine has contactpro or whatever is oem. It's quiet. Sounds better then hard bald tires at least...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I have the Ecopia's on mine. don't think its the plus but not sure. road noise not bad, not as good as I had hoped before buying, but not bad. Lots better than the Hankooks that were OE but noisier than my Mich snow tires. Tire rack rates them average.

But if the car has been sitting stagnant for over a year, the tires might be shot. Any small amount of vibration??

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Try some different rubber.

Mine has contactpro or whatever is oem. It's quiet. Sounds better then hard bald tires at least...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
+1
Think I have the same kind.
I have been pleased with the oem rubber...about 38,000 miles and still quiet and they have done well in heavy rain and reasonable well during the winter...
I am thinking you might have gotten "unlucky" with the tires you got...
But I remember when I picked out my Toyota Tacoma, I looked at 3 similar ones, and picked the one that had the tires thought were better.
Road noise on highways with highly grooved surfaces can be a bit louder, but not too bad...
I have found the the "monster mats" as opposed to the lightweight carpeted ones help a bit...
Luxury levels os sound deadening no, but reasonable for the class.

jokerjp

TDI
Shopping for my 1st TDI
If you are serious about road noise reduction, there is only one path. A sound deadening mat (similar to RAAMmat) installed under the carpet, in the doors, and the roof, combined with a closed cell foam to really cut down the noise. I did this in my 2008 Tacoma and it's night and day, however it's a weekend of stripping your car and putting it back together again......ask yourself how much do you care?

I haven't done my Jetta YET, only because it's actually decent on noise compared to my pre updated Tacoma. It's on my list and I will do it, it's all a matter of how important quiet is to you

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
If you are serious about road noise reduction, there is only one path. A sound deadening mat (similar to RAAMmat) installed under the carpet, in the doors, and the roof, combined with a closed cell foam to really cut down the noise. I did this in my 2008 Tacoma and it's night and day, however it's a weekend of stripping your car and putting it back together again......ask yourself how much do you care?

I haven't done my Jetta YET, only because it's actually decent on noise compared to my pre updated Tacoma. It's on my list and I will do it, it's all a matter of how important quiet is to you
Thanks for the input! I'm not against tearing everything up, it's definitely the path I'm going to take with my mall crawler, but I'm disappointed my bone stock new 'nice' car is this loud.

Thanks everyone for the comments, it sounds like it's probably tires. I'm visiting my mom soon and I'll borrow the wheels/tires off her A3 and see if that quiets it down. :)

Simpleman76

TDI
2013 Jetta-buy back, 2015 Jetta SEL
Driving my new 2015 home, I thought I had a lot of road noise also until I rolled down the passenger side window and I had a terrible whistle and wind noise coming from the mirror. I applied RTV around the mirror trim and my road noise has definitely improved.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
complain to the dealer, are these new tires? many cars that sat had flat spotted tires and were allowed new rubbers, if you're kind you can direct the dealer what tire you want with certain reason.