NOT doing the BUY BACK on my TDI

Biff em

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
I read something that made me go and dig through the court documents on VW’s website to make sure what I read was true. In the court documents, it states that if a “fix” is not available by May 1, 2018 you then have two choices 1. Have VW buy-back the vehicle by June 1, 2018 or 2. Forfeit your right to ANY money and keep the vehicle the way it is.
“If no modification is approved for your car before May 1, 2018, you will be notified that no emissions modification is available. At that point, you will have until June 1, 2018, to accept a Buyback or to exclude yourself from the Class.”
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/Executive Summary of Proposed Settlement Program.pdf Page 3, paragraph 3.
So, yes, I'd really like to keep my 2013 Golf 2-door GTD (had the APR tune done and WOW what a different car) 6spd, tech pkg, Nav also, but if they don't "fix" it then it's take the money or leave and have an instant classic to drive around. Glad I'll have 2 years to decide. :)

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
Hey Joe (OP); I think you have your numbers wrong for the buyback bud; your car according to the caculator should be worth about $20,400, not $14k...

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

You might want to double-check that ;)
Thanks...Will check it but that's what the letter/web site said I would be getting if I did the buyback....Then the $5,800 cash

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
My car is a 2012 with 160k miles; and I'm getting ~$17,200 total buyback (depending on how quickly I get it in; I drive a lot).

The number I posted was total compensation; I guess you are separating them? (In other words; 20k - 5800 = ~ 14k...)

joe schmoe

TDI
My car is a 2012 with 160k miles; and I'm getting ~$17,200 total buyback (depending on how quickly I get it in; I drive a lot).

The number I posted was total compensation; I guess you are separating them? (In other words; 20k - 5800 = ~ 14k...)
Yes I thought in my OP I stated that...If not sorry. Yes VW site says buyback would be $14.2K and Cash would be $5,800...
My pay off (Bought new 4/15) is $14.1K...So I would be without a car and $5,800 in cash...I'll keep the car and take the $5,800 as we have no emissions checks in East TN...:cool:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
...other than the vast majority of your $12k back, unless the loan is at a ridiculous interest rate. You realize that the balance of the loan decreases as you pay it, right?

Or you drive the car for two more years, by which time you'll have paid three years on the loan, and then sell it back. The buyback amount will still be the same, give or take any mileage adjustment from driving more or less than 12500 miles/year. You'll be getting very close to new MSRP for a four model-year-old car.

Or you realize that your assumption that CARB will reject any fix out of hand, when they've already agreed to increased emissions by the affected vehicles, is not entirely consistent with reality.

You DO realize that you can now drive your "unfixed" 2015 FOREVER as long as it passes the OBDII tests (Even in CA ) ? Of course - no fix = no restitution, but you ARE LEGAL to keep driving it....

Sorry Dan - I was meaning to reply to the other poster in that post

Last edited:

joe schmoe

TDI
You can only keep the car and take the cash if you have the fix done, and so far, there's no approved fix.
They way I read the agreement (limited reading of it) was VW would issue a check (for my case $5,800) regardless of final fix or not....Then once an approved fix comes out, then I would be required to have it done.

Saw no where, a required fix must be developed to allow/get a cash restitution!
Might of missed that part but that wasn't my take on the document?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
They way I read the agreement (limited reading of it) was VW would issue a check (for my case $5,800) regardless of final fix or not....Then once an approved fix comes out, then I would be required to have it done.

Saw no where, a required fix must be developed to allow/get a cash restitution!
Might of missed that part but that wasn't my take on the document?
Why would you get cash if you haven't had a fix done? Everyone would take their check and forget about getting the work done.

The settlement says you receive your money once the fix is completed. If no fix is approved you will then have an option to sell back.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
They way I read the agreement (limited reading of it) was VW would issue a check (for my case $5,800) regardless of final fix or not.
Then you read the document incorrectly. You only get paid after the fix is performed.

joe schmoe

TDI
Then you read the document incorrectly. You only get paid after the fix is performed.
Yep, went back and re-read it...Read it wrong...Oh well...I still like my 45 to 50 MPG. I'll keep it regardless!:D

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
It depends...

I'm still waiting to hear from VW on the 2015s they have sitting in their lot. Is it still true they can only sell those after they fix them (with no approved fix as of now)? Or is there a way around it, like the dealer registering the car and selling it as a used car with no miles?

11silvergolf

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Gen 1 fix

What is the fix for Gen 1. That is the question. Do
I lose trunk space to a blue tech system and get a de tune. My mpg goes down and torque goes down too.Will Malone come out with a tune that restores the loss? Will my state require a repair. Need more info.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
What is the fix for Gen 1. That is the question. Do I lose trunk space to a blue tech system and get a de tune. My mpg goes down and torque goes down too.Will Malone come out with a tune that restores the loss? Will my state require a repair. Need more info.

No urea - the fix is minimal due to the US relaxing the rules on Gen 1 cars. They are no longer required to meet the emissions standards. There is some kind of minor modification that gets them to 80% or thereabouts.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
What is the fix for Gen 1. That is the question. Do
I lose trunk space to a blue tech system and get a de tune. My mpg goes down and torque goes down too.Will Malone come out with a tune that restores the loss? Will my state require a repair. Need more info.

if you keep an eye here, the next few months will see more details, and reports from early folks who get the fix.

I think your trunk will be fine.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
No urea - the fix is minimal due to the US relaxing the rules on Gen 1 cars. They are no longer required to meet the emissions standards. There is some kind of minor modification that gets them to 80% or thereabouts.
I've been patiently waiting to see what happens with the Gen 1 cars like mine. I don't want to get rid of this car yet. I paid cash for it with the intention of taking good care of it and keeping it for a long time. It's a fantastic car, especially for my harrowing freeway commute of 60 miles each day. I'm partial to the fit and finish of the '09 as well. I test drove a GTI twice and loved it, and the new Golf TSI was surprisingly fun to drive and the build quality was pretty good. However, I really don't want a car payment right now, even a reduced one. SO, I hope the rumors about a simpler fix are true (there's a photo of the parts somewhere on here). If so, I'm probably going to keep her for another 100k or so.

sdlucky7

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
You DO realize that you can now drive your "unfixed" 2015 FOREVER as long as it passes the OBDII tests (Even in CA ) ?
This is not very likely in some States.

As with the previous "pre-fix" recall that happened, CA requires that the dealer submit electronic proof of the fix being completed prior to the owner being able to renew their registration. This opens the possibility (at least here in CA) that someone would be unable to renew their registration after the 2018 deadline if they did not have the fix applied.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
But it is virtually certain in 44 states, including CA. If a state takes the settlement money, they're agreeing to not refuse registration to unfixed TDIs. California's even a party to the case, so they're definitely bound by that. And 43 other states have signed on. So it's only in the remaining six, give or take any territories that might change the numbers a little bit, that there's a possibility that you could have a problem registering an unfixed car.

sdlucky7

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
But it is virtually certain in 44 states, including CA. If a state takes the settlement money, they're agreeing to not refuse registration to unfixed TDIs.
I know this is slightly off topic, but... I was under the impression, from what I read, that this moratorium on registration denial was only in effect until the end of the claims/modification period in 2018. Meaning that only during this time, they could not deny you registration for driving with the cheat device.

I could have missed something though... Lots of documentation to comb through. :)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I know this is slightly off topic, but... I was under the impression, from what I read, that this moratorium on registration denial was only in effect until the end of the claims/modification period in 2018. Meaning that only during this time, they could not deny you registration for driving with the cheat device.

I could have missed something though... Lots of documentation to comb through. :)

It is a "FOREVER' settlement. Just go read it.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI

As with the previous "pre-fix" recall that happened, CA requires that the dealer submit electronic proof of the fix being completed prior to the owner being able to renew their registration. This opens the possibility (at least here in CA) that someone would be unable to renew their registration after the 2018 deadline if they did not have the fix applied.
One of my favorite things about California is I-5, I-8, and I-10 which allow residents to exit the state.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
We are not doing the buyback. I can get trade in value for the car any day. Or better yet get retail for the car after the fix is done and sell it privately. For us getting the fix and restitution is the best option.
This will be our last petroleum car. The next will be electric. We'll keep the TDI for longer trips.
This TDI has routinely been getting 43-50mpg on long trips. The fuel savings alone are significant. And it's a great car to drive.
I've been reading here that many people are afraid of when the DPF cracks or some other issue. From what I've seen many cars have had issues. Honds, GM, Toyota, etc have had many problems that cost some money to repair. Driving ain't free but the TDi really makes it cheaper because of the lower cost for fuel.
So when the DPF cracks I'll be more than happy to replace it.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
One of my favorite things about California is I-5, I-8, and I-10 which allow residents to exit the state.
Your choice of direction, like most of your other opinions, is backward.

"California Passes France As World's 6th-Largest Economy - Fortune Magazine"

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Your choice of direction, like most of your other opinions, is backward.
Then why the username 'flee'???? One usually flees from somewhere not to somewhere. I'm afraid Harvey might be right after all.

Or did you misspell 'flea'?

Last edited:

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
a possible outcome of the fix solution may very well be a complete replacement exhaust system, and if that's the case: those with DPF issues will have them fixed for free.

At least we are hoping so anyway lol. GF has a 2009 Jetta TDI and has a check engine light on for exhaust sensor related issues.

She chose to keep the car and opted for the fix. We're not fixing anything emissions related on it until they have an approved fix announced and the details of that fix released.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Many are speculating that there will never be a fix for the 09s. Be prepared. I'm planning on holding on to my 10 for another 12-18 months and seeing if there is a fix. Then I have to determine what that fix really does to the car. Maybe by then, GM will offer enough diesels that purchasing a new vehicle won't be as much of a chore.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Then why the username 'flee'???? One usually flees from somewhere not to somewhere. I'm afraid Harvey might be right after all.
Or did you misspell 'flea'?
I always thought you were the same person as 'H'. Explains a lot.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I always thought you were the same person as 'H'. Explains a lot.
Airbizz is old Harv? The king of pre owned VW's? The man who threw around the word" de conted as often as Steve Martin juggled kittens?