What did you do to your MKIV today?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Sprayed my engine bay with Simple Green in order to clean it up some. Looking nice again. If I could only get my engine chattering issue figured out! Taking it get tranny looked at. Might be in need of a new clutch. Shopping for new injector nozzles from KermaTDI and planning on flushing the heater core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE-SIZE your photos BEFORE posting please! 2,048px × 1,536px is TOO large that is 28 inches x 21 inches.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Or use our site, pics.tdiclub.com, 3 sizes to choose from. The thumbnails are great for large spreads. Plus they won't go away when those other services decide to start charging.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Or use our site, pics.tdiclub.com, 3 sizes to choose from. The thumbnails are great for large spreads. Plus they won't go away when those other services decide to start charging.

I stopped using the photo section here as it is too cumbersome and only intermittently allows you to choose a different size. A lot of times it just allows a link to be put in the post, not an image file. I actually prefer a system where I can upload an image from my computer directly to the post I'm writing and not go through a server site.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, I understand, user simple is good, but none of them put the actual photo in the post, they simply use the url of the photo. That's why they will eventually disappear.
Apologies for getting way off topic............

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I was using Photobucket but it started having a lot of issues. But yes, I also prefer using the code to embed pics on posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
And here's mine, freshly steamed off. Been a while since it was this clean :)

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
I ground off the jb weld I’d put on the upper ic pipe after it got into the power steering pulley since it had cracked, and was leaking, and did some plastic welding with zipties, and my micro torch. Leak was gone when I did the water test, and hopefully it stays that way this time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well this is what I get for washing my car.... Happened about 2 miles from home. Good thing I know how to drive without using a clutch.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nero, looks like your strut mounts are kind of tired, too.
I know they are. It's on the to do list :) just have to tackle why my clutch pedal is stuck at the floor this morning...

Edit... That was an easy fix. Line at slave cylinder popped off.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Added 1L of coolant because the reservoir ball was empty (!?).

Now, to figure out where the coolant is leaking....no obvious pink / white streaks. Doesn't look like the "easy" ones up high like the coolant temp sender or thermostat neck.

Any ideas / thoughts?
After losing another 1L in the last 1000km or so, I finally got a chance to take the belly pan off and see what's what. Coolant was dropping off the oil pan at the TB side of the engine, but more underneath the thermostat housing than the TB. So, that's where I directed my attention. Figured it'd ether be the hard horizontal pipe or the thermostat housing / seal (I'd replaced it a number of years ago - thermostat was still working fine).

Everything around the hard pipe looked dry:

but around the bottom part of the thermostat flange, there was some moisture.

So...hoping that's the culprit, I made a trip to VW for a replacement (OEM this time) t-stat and o-ring (flange tabs held together, plus I had a spare on-hand in case they didn't).

Not nearly as messy as I remember it being, as I was able to get almost 5L of coolant out of the radiator drain valve at the left front of the rad.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, the good news is that the thermostat housing seal seems to be holding - haven't lost any coolant in the ~80km of driving so far.

The bad news is that the thermostat doesn't seem to be thermostatting - drove up to the local ski hill, and the coolant temp normally maxes out at 93-94C, this time it kept right on climbing...all the way up to/past 100C (and it was around -1C outside).

Stopped about 5km (of 8-12% grade) up the hill at a chain-up area, and the upper rad hose was "warm"...definitely not indicated 97C.

I unscrewed the lid on the coolant reservoir and got a little "hissss" - followed by rapid bubbling of coolant in there, and the coolant level rising from right at the max like to maybe ¼" above it.

Apart from the thermostat being defective, any other possible causes of this? I read about "airlock"...how to test (and then solve) for that?
(And to be clear, I did get at least close to 5L of coolant back into the system after swapping in the new t-stat, and the temp did come down as soon as I started coasting - so lack of coolant was not the issue.)

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Nuje might I suggest you make yourself a thread on the issue.
EDIT: Today I once again fretted over my MKIV.
(On Sunday I replaced serp belt since it had become oil contaminated. I thought the tensioner shock was leaking but after cleaning it up, the problem hasn't come back. Of note, my previous belt was 1674mm and the new one is 1660mm. No more oil squirting up onto my hood liner. But really, I have no idea where that oil was coming from. Belt clean so far. I love this car!).

Last edited:

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Tried connecting my new ELM327 from Amazon to my Jetta with my iPhone so I can flash a code but was having linkage issues.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove it from home (south of Boston) to Madison WI to visit my son, 1170 miles, little over 18 hours with stops and traffic. I should know better than to drive through downtown Chicago on a Friday evening, even post rush hour. Got 47.7 on the first tank despite running at an indicated 78 with strong headwinds. Second tank may be a bit worse. Car ran flawlessly.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The bad news is that the thermostat doesn't seem to be thermostatting - drove up to the local ski hill, and the coolant temp normally maxes out at 93-94C, this time it kept right on climbing...all the way up to/past 100C (and it was around -1C outside).
Today (in EST zone anyway), I replaced the thermostat again, and indeed, turns out the issue was a faulty OEM thermostat from the VW dealer on the first go-round. Drove straight up a mountain (road) and didn't get over 93C before the temp levelled off and then started coming down.

Interesting, though, that the car previously cruised on the freeway (before I started fixing the leaking t-stat flange) at 89-90C, while now it's 90-91C.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Interesting, though, that the car previously cruised on the freeway (before I started fixing the leaking t-stat flange) at 89-90C, while now it's 90-91C.

Well within "margin of error" manufacturing spec IMO. Interesting though that you got a bad one. My original was failing, but it wouldn't close, open ok but.

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Drove it from home (south of Boston) to Madison WI to visit my son, 1170 miles, little over 18 hours with stops and traffic. I should know better than to drive through downtown Chicago on a Friday evening, even post rush hour. Got 47.7 on the first tank despite running at an indicated 78 with strong headwinds. Second tank may be a bit worse. Car ran flawlessly.
quite the trip!