BioDiesel in 2006 Jetta TDI BRM

kallisti5

TDI
2006 Jetta
I just wanted to check if anyone had any experience with biodiesel in a 2006 PD BRM.

I've been thinking about running BioDiesel for a while now to help keep by TDI around for a long,long time. (and be a little more environmentally friendly, etc,etc)

I'm at 91k miles, just changed my timing belt.
* I run the proper VW spec oil and change it religiously.
* I run straight Diesel Purge once and a while.
* I also have a new fuel filter in the mail (it's time for a change)

As I need to change my fuel filter anyway I thought it would be good time to make the switch to biodiesel prior to changing the filter out.

Thoughts? Car warranty expired long ago.

I know VW supports B5, but the only pumps in Houston carry B100... so the amount will be a little hit or miss as I mix with the diesel in my tank.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GibMir1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta w/DSG Grenade
I'm running b11 on a regular basis (just the most common blend here in IL). NO issues @ 65.5K mi.

Beware - if you have been running straight diesel and start with bio, the fuel system (fuel filter esp.) can clog as bio is a great detergent for your fuel system. So, just have an extra fuel filter and start with b2, then move up to a blend where you feel comfortable. Stay with the PS or other fuel conditioner not for lubricity purposes but to increase the cetane rating as much as possible.

B100 does not return the same mpg as straight diesel. B2 gives the best amount of lubricity and mpg for a bioblend.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I ran B20 from miles 500-16,000 on my 06.

No problems other than needing a fuel filter at 17,000 miles instead of 20.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
I've been running B2 since the beginning of the year...no issues. I throw in some other additives as well. Actually just mixed up another 5gal batch last night, which will probably last me about 5 months.

I will say that running the VW spec oil may be your undoing. Most people are switching to 5w-40 to give the cam better protection. The top ends of these motors are wearing out pretty regularly. Seems like a simple change to help ward off the demons of the PD design. As for what brand of oil...there are enough threads about that without me bringing it up here :)

kallisti5

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for all the biodiesel info on the PD!

I will say that running the VW spec oil may be your undoing. Most people are switching to 5w-40 to give the cam better protection. The top ends of these motors are wearing out pretty regularly.
Ouch, I've been using the Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w-30 from idparts.com... any recommendations? I am getting a little tired of special ordering it online every 10k miles :)

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I run upwards of B 30 or greater in my '06 with no issues other than the loss of a few MPG. As far as the oil I use Quartz Ineo 5-30 too and have my oil analyzed every 10K. No problems have shown up so far at 83K miles.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Thanks for all the biodiesel info on the PD!

Ouch, I've been using the Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w-30 from idparts.com... any recommendations? I am getting a little tired of special ordering it online every 10k miles :)
There are seriously so many threads about that it makes my head hurt. I've been using LubroMoly 5w-40 505.01, but I only chose it because I got a good deal on it.

When I run out I'll probably chase down some of this Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck (aka TDT). That seems to be a favored alternative that is relatively easy to find, and the cost isn't bad.

If the oil trolls find this thread it's going to get ugly :) Just do some searching in the A5 sub-forum on oils for PD engines and you'll be busy for the next couple weeks. A4 forum maybe too I guess, but I never drop in over there.

kallisti5

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just a quick update on this, went ahead and put about ~ B30 in my car a few days ago.

I immediately noticed a difference about 5 minutes after starting, my engine quited way down... also the occasional black plumes of smoke when I take off a little too quickly have just about completely disappeared.

If your a 2006 TDI owner, I say go for it. Given the long term evidence above in this thread and the immediate positive change I saw... it's great stuff.

Thanks go out to Houston BioDiesel for making getting high quality golden B100 BioBiesel easy :)

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Im currently running B100 in mine and the only thing I really noticed is a drop in fuel eonomy. I started running B100 at 98k miles and my filter was almost completely clogged after 3 tanks. I had to remove the fuel filter canister and clean it because there was so much crap at the bottom of it. This is how my fuel filter looked like when I pulled it out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
I run B100 usually, and B20 sometimes, in my 2006 TDI. I've had no problems with either. The only issue I would consider is that I've been told biodiesel is an excellent solvent. So if you have lots of miles on your car running petrol and then convert, the bio may loosen crud in your tank deposited by the petrol. So you'd want to change your fuel filter after a while. That's my layman's view. Maybe someone is who a tech can explain better and in more detail.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'll stick with dino. Fuel filters ain't cheap and who knows what the long term affects are. If bio was half price and within 10 miles from my house I'd start using it. Right now it's 40 miles from me and it's about the same price as dino if not more.

toadz1

banned
TDI
A4
I run B100 usually, and B20 sometimes, in my 2006 TDI. I've had no problems with either. The only issue I would consider is that I've been told biodiesel is an excellent solvent. So if you have lots of miles on your car running petrol and then convert, the bio may loosen crud in your tank deposited by the petrol. So you'd want to change your fuel filter after a while. That's my layman's view. Maybe someone is who a tech can explain better and in more detail.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=132802

No problems, eh? :D

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
At minimum B2 Ideally B5-B10 for maximum durability of the PD Fuel pumps.

Also I would run Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 for an oil every 10-15K on your oil changes.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Im currently running B100 in mine and the only thing I really noticed is a drop in fuel eonomy. I started running B100 at 98k miles and my filter was almost completely clogged after 3 tanks. I had to remove the fuel filter canister and clean it because there was so much crap at the bottom of it. This is how my fuel filter looked like when I pulled it out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thats the crap thats in your Biodiesel, not what was leftover in the system!

Even the highest quality Biodiesel is too unstable in the high temperature fuel system of the PD. The fuel is heated to around 200F as it passes thru the fuel channel in the head casting, then as it flows thru the PD injector it can reach as high as 250F as it circulates around the injector in the head just above the combustion chamber and the heat it transmits to the fuel. Then as it is pressurized to as much as 30,000 psi it is heated again...then what is leftover returns to the fuel tank to cool off.

These high temperatures break down ANY Biodiesel and forms the varnish and gum formations that over time will damage your motor.

You WILL NOT have an immediate failure, or an immediate power loss. The loss of performance will be slow and gradual an be unoticed by the owner.

x24actor

TDI
03 Bug
I don't know what BRM or PD means, but I happen to drive an 06 Jetta. Anyway, the way to convert effectively is to use a blend of about B50 for 3000 miles. We've done this with 2 Jettas, a Bug, a Cherokee TDI, and 3 Ford pick-ups (all older than 08).

They run perfectly on 100% biodiesel and regular diesel now. No problems with any blend. Just don't run straight diesel for too long if you plan on using B100.