Cell Phone setting off seat belt alarm

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
This has happened several times now. While driving my seat belt light has gone off with nobody in the passenger seat. After a bit of fiddling it went off.

I usually have my cell phone plugged in to charge and set it on the passenger side. Yesterday it went off and when I picked my phone up to fiddle with the seat I noticed that it went off. Did not really put any stock in it...

Today I called VW and he immediately asked if I was charging my Cell phone while resting on the seat. Apparently the frequency of my phone (Motorola Ultra) was setting off the seat belt sensor in the seat.

Thinking back I do believe that this is correct as each time I fiddled I moved my phone to get it out of the way and it stopped...

I would hope that VW comes out with a recall to replace the sensor with a better one.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I would hope that VW comes out with a recall to replace the sensor with a better one.
I would not hold my breath waiting for this. What is far more likely would be a letter from VW telling you not to place electronic devices on an unoccupied passenger seat. I believe that there is another thread here somewhere about a similar issue with a charging iPad on the passenger seat. I does appear that the passenger seat occupant sensor is sensitive to electromagnetic interference. If this is not deemed a "safety issue", there will be no recall.

Have Fun!

Don

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The sensor was changed from the older pressure sensor that caused false warnings and DTCs, to this style sensor which gives false warnings for a different reason. It uses capacitive inductive reading to determine if a body is on the seat instead of a inanimate object. Unfortunately some electronic devices fool it. Nothing is perfect and simply put your phone in the cup holder or a phone cradle, where it will be safer anyways.

Jason

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
Unfortunately some electronic devices fool it. Nothing is perfect and simply put your phone in the cup holder or a phone cradle, where it will be safer anyways.

Jason
I just briefly pick up the phone and it stops signalling... Then set the phone down again in a different position.. sometimes it goes off again others not.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Friends Samsung Galaxy wakes up and dismisses notifications just by picking it up and waving your hand in front of it. It's hard to say what all is turning on and off by just picking your phone up.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
late comment but I noticed it on day 2 of ownership on a new car , I got a seatbelt buckle from a upick wreckers and plug it in,, fools the seat sensor, and shuts the light and chime off...