Highest EGT reading

KROUT

persona non grata
How much egt's can these engines handle in short burst? I pegged mine at well over 1600(I would gues close to 1800) only for a minute. Can the engine handle those kind of temps? I was at WOT at 140 MPH. I usually dont stay on the gas once the temp hits 1600 but when you race sometime good logic goes out the window.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about egt for a short blast, but you'll waste your new pump if you over-rev it. It's only good for about 4000 rpm before the piston starts to float. If it floats, the cam plate can come out of the drive pin and whammo.

Do the 5th gear nose job if you need to go that fast, better yet the DRW 6spd is awesome. You'll have bigger axles too.

cya,
Jeff

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
[SIZE=-1]Not to argue with Mr. RC, here's what I dug up doing googles:

If you get the turbine too hot, it can damage the turbo. At 1270 degrees F, the tips of the turbine blades begin to glow. If you get them too hot, they'll straighten out or even melt and you'll ruin the turbo. The factory Garrett turbocharger will pull all day long at 1250 degrees, but in our opinion, 1270 degrees is the DO NOT EXCEED temp for sustained use. (I know we don't run Garret's, but it has to be similar technology with similar operating constraints...)

I can relate to the "heat of the battle" brain fade... I always tell myself during the first few laps of the day to take it easy. Cold brain, cold track, cold tires, CHILL!!! Then I get into it with another rider and it's all out... I almost had the rear tire come around on me one morning when I couldn't keep "it" in check...
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
According to Drivbiwire our turbos exhaust side is made from Inconel. It's a high heat alloy that can resist very high temps. Do some searches for it, I'm too lazy... Not sure if this applies to the VNTs or the KP39s....

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The temps listed below are the maximum temps that the turbo can operate at without limitation of time. Above these temps the turbine is no longer strong enough to withstand the spinning forces of the wheel. As far as I know ALL turbo's used in the TDI engine line are made from Inconel of various grades. The latest version is a cutting edge alloy that set the standard of "1080C" which is required in the latest emissions compliant turbo charged cars.

1Z - GT-15 1550F / 850C
AHU - KKK-03's 1650F / 900C
ALH - VNT-15 1650F / 900C
BEW - KKK-VGT 1980F / 1080C

All temps are continious ratings. IF you exceed the temps the turbine rapidly loses its strength although you may not have immediate failure you are causing the blades to "Creep" or elongate due to the spinning forces.

1Z GT-15 turbo after being subjected to excessively retarded timing (10/140) due to improper timing settings by a dealer. Maximum continious temps on this particular turbo are 1550F. I suspect the temps on this turbo hit 1700F

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The newer Garrett turbos (not the current VNT-15/17/20 etc) will have 1050C limits. KKK has an extra 30C margin on the turbine alloy.

Gasoline engine manufactures are faced with ever-tightening emissions regulations imposed by American, Japanese, and European legislation. To meet future HC and CO limits, and to improve fuel economy, automotive engine manufactures are looking towards running air to fuel ratios near lambda = 1 for full load engine conditions.

Traditionally full load air / fuel conditions have been in the region of lambda = 0.9 to improve maximum engine power output and maintain engine durability. The excess fuel under theses conditions has a cooling effect on the exhaust temperature and has allowed engines to be below 1000º C in exhaust temperatures. The move towards lambda = 1 will remove this fuel cooling effect and will yield exhaust temperatures up to 1050º C.

Today's turbochargers are designed and qualified for existing high temperature gasoline applications. This has been a delicate balance of design, material technology, and cost. The move to 1050º C exhaust temperatures has prompted the Garrett Turbocharging Group to redefine this balance for turbochargers.

Taking advantage of our expertise in materials gained form our large Aerospace divisions and working closely with customer development programs, the Garrett Turbocharging group is well placed to provide turbocharging solutions that are durable up to 1050ºC exhaust temperatures.
DB

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Damn, almost 2000F for the KP39s... But can the head, pistons, and exhaust mani take temps like that??

Edit: I guess the first two are cooled by oil, but what about the manifold?

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
From what I have heard the regular cast iron mani starts to flake inside if it gets too hot. Get an stainless manifold and it shouldnt be a problem.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
There is a reason why the TDI pistons have oil cooling passages cast within the piston dome. Also the reason why the TDI MANDATES synthetic oil.

The piston domes require the oil cooling jets to keep things under control.

Aluminum is capable of handling the temperatures in the exhaust ports. The gasses simply do not have the mass needed to melt the aluminum or cast iron.

The higher temps in the newer motors is related to the injection timing being so retarded to meet the NOx emissions. Imagine how hot things are going to get with CRI (Common Rail Injection) that injects a shot of fuel prior to exhaust valve opening to enrichen the combustion gasses and further reduce NOx by reducing the available oxygen which allows cheaper catalysts to be used that can handle the higher sulfur fuels.

DB

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
jnecr said:
Damn, almost 2000F for the KP39s...

welllll, my info was only 700F off... :rolleyes: I shoulda waited for DBW to show up... :D

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
jsrmonster said:
Hi,

It's only good for about 4000 rpm before the piston starts to float. If it floats, the cam plate can come out of the drive pin and whammo.

Do the 5th gear nose job if you need to go that fast, better yet the DRW 6spd is awesome. You'll have bigger axles too.

I didn't know about the pump only running 4000 rpm. It runs great at 4500 but I gues I need to keep and eye on that. I do have the taller 5th .717. If I ever need to replace my tranny I see a6 speed in my future.:D

My temps would never go that high berfore the 11mm pump. But then again I dont normally push the car like I did yesterday. Thanks for the info Drivebywire.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Drivbiwire said:
The higher temps in the newer motors is related to the injection timing being so retarded to meet the NOx emissions. Imagine how hot things are going to get with CRI (Common Rail Injection) that injects a shot of fuel prior to exhaust valve opening to enrichen the combustion gasses and further reduce NOx by reducing the available oxygen which allows cheaper catalysts to be used that can handle the higher sulfur fuels.

DB
This is precisely the problem the Dodge guys are experiencing on their "600" common rail Cummins (04.5+). These guys run HOT. And the fuel economy suffers because of the post-injection.

I remember a couple of years ago at a Chevy event (Dieselpage Rendevous) one guy ran 2000+ EGT for a full mile uphill towing 15,000 lbs. Didn't hurt a thing. The DuraMaxes have aluminum block/heads (and piston oil jets if I'm not mistaken.)